“A lovely birthday treat.”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Whiting Bay, United Kingdom
“A lovely birthday treat.”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had a deal so it was good value. Afternoon tea yummy. A nice quiet room on the 12th floor with a lovely view of the city and the Clyde. Loved the panoramic lift. Only criticism the bathroom was a little tired. Service very good and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Susan301153
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thankyou very much for your review and a belated " Happy Birthday".

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay so much and hope that you will be back again before long.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had an excellent night stay at this hotel.The first room we were given was smelling of smoke but we were moved immidately to the 11th floor.The room was a really good size with a kingsize bed which was very comfy.We had afternoon tea which was included in our deal,cakes were lovely.We ate in the bar at night and the food was very hot,plentiful and tasty.We went to the pool which could have done with a bit of a sweep/mop but it was late so maybe this was why it was a unclean,The staff were good and friendly and helpful.Overall it was an excellent stay and would definately go again!!

Room Tip: A higher floor room overlooking the city has stunning views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DundeeYummymummy
Thanks for posting such a great review - it is appreciated. Sorry about the room smelling of smoke. Unfortunately, despite being a 100% non smoking building , some people just cannot resist the urge.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Firstly I must state that I only ended up at this hotel as my flight got diverted, and the airline put us up in the hotel.

The hotel was in a state of chaos as they suddenly had about 300 guests arrive at the hotel all at the same time. To some extent the staff tried to handle it well, but generally it must be said the senior staff seemed to be running round like headless chickens. It took a good 90 minutes before there was any semblance of organisation. While the hotel cannot accept full responsibility for the unusual nature of the events, I would have thought a bit of calm planning up front would have made things more pleasant for the newly arriving guests, as well as for those guests who had stayed the previous night.

The hotel does not have enough lifts to cope with the number of floors nor number of guests. While we only stayed for one night, the wait for the lifts was a real drag, and nearly every time one arrived on our floor it was completely full!

The rooms were pleasant and modern: wall safe, mini bar, decent bathroom, clean sheets etc.

The breakfast buffet was basic, and not particularly appetising. A buffet meal was put on for us on the Sunday evening, which was typical mass catering produced food (i.e. basic hit and miss).

The hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the city centre. The walk along the River Clyde to the city is pleasant, but not beautiful. You wouldn't want to wak the route too many times in one visit though (and taxi fares would start to mount if you want to go in and out to the centre). Other than the conference centre there isn't much on the doorstep of the hotel.

All in all if I was visiting Glasgow again I wouldn't choose this hotel. I would prefer to be more central, and have a better choice of restaurants on my doorstep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Thankyou for posting a review following your stay here at the hotel following a delayed flight. As you quite correctly state, it was an usual nature of events to receive 300 guests together at short notice particularly as the hotel was already quite busy due to a conference on at the SECC along with a concert. I am sorry that you felt that we didn't have enough lifts, however with so many guests wishing to use them at the same time due to fixed dining and departure times, this will result in unavoidable delays - however I do take your point and offer my apologies.

I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us under different circumstances in the future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Whilst the comfort of the room was good and the staff were very polite and attentive there were several factors that made this a stay to forget.
I was in room 615, this is located driectly opposite an ice making machine, which somebody thought would be a good idea to use at 5am and 7am waking me up on both occassions.
The lifts are through the wall from this room and they are far from quiet. You hear the lifts travelling between floors, it was like banging pipes in a central heating system with air in it. Also the lift doors are noisy whilst opening and closing.
Also I had one crazy lady who was so unhappy at the room above her making noise that she decided banging on their door and swearing waking up most of that floor was the best course of action rather than calling reception and letting them deal with it. Obviously not the hotels fault, but unfortunate none the less.
The hotel rooms are starting to show their age, the bathrooom still has a bath with a shower instead of a walk in shower. Not ideal for anyone who is not able bodied.
I would say the breakfast was very good, a wide choice and of good quality.
Based on my experience, I would not choose this hotel again as I feel I can get better for the same price.

Room Tip: Avoid any room near an ice making machine or close to the lifts
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thankyou for posting your review. I was sorry that you were disturbed by the lift Machinery and doors, both of which are now being attended to by the relevent Engineers. i note your comment regarding the Showers, we do have a number of DDA rooms that do have roll in showers
which we would be pleased to allocate you subject to availability.

Sorry about the inconsiderate actions of one of our other guests. As you quite correctly state, it would have been more appropriate if the Hotel personnel handled the incident.

I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast,

Glasgow United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The food is alwasy nice and a lovely setting can reccomend it we just had a meal but have been several times

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review particularly as you have visited us so many times before. Hope you will be back before long.

Glencoe Village, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We have just returned from a one night stay at the Crowne Plaza. Lovely reception/dining area, room was very nice, all you need, beds very comfy. Bathroom a little tired looking - wallpaper could do with being refreshed. Good selection of breakfast items. Bar meal was nice but would have enjoyed veggies more than salad with steak pie..small grumble I know. All in all, good stay and would def book again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thanks for posting a review following your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that you would come and stay with us again. I am particularly interested in your comments about the Bar / Lounge menu as we are currently reviewing all the dishes in preparation for a new menu within the next month or so.

Liverpool
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have stayed that the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow on three occasions and on each occasion my feelings have been mixed. Overall, I would recommend this hotel in terms of great and comfortable accommodation and I would certainly recommend the restaurant with regards to food quality.

Accommodation: The rooms cannot be faulted in anyway whatsoever, they are so comfortable and warm. Our room was a standard room, the bed was enormous and the bathroom was immaculate, the decor of the room was stunning and made it feel really warm. Our view from the room looked right across the Clyde, there is an added option to upgrade your room and if you’re a priority club member then you can access the bar at the very top of the hotel.

Food: The food was excellent, we had an evening meal as part of our first night stay and we couldn't fault it, the meals arrived on time and didn't have to wait too long for them to arrive. There was a great variety of food on the menu and the restaurant always appears to be very popular so i highly recommend booking a table to avoid disappointment (although from previous experience booking a table doesn't always mean you get one!).

Location: The Crowne Plaza is ideally situated, personally for me i would say perfect. Its situated right along the bank of the Clyde which means your not bang in the middle of Glasgow City Centre, we got a taxi onto Sachiehall Street and it cost less than a fiver for four people. Of an evening the hotel is quaint and very laid back, it is a very popular choice with airport stopovers and cabin crew etc and it is definitely worth checking out what is on at the SECC beforehand as the hotel literally joins to the arena. The Glasgow tour bus stops right outside the hotel and takes you on a very grand tour, worth every penny, we saw parts of Glasgow we didn't know existed and its real food for thought in terms of revisiting the city.

Staff: I found the staff to be very welcoming and polite, on each occasion that we have stayed the reception staff have always endeavored to have us checked in quickly. We were offered the opportunity to dine in the hotel restaurant and having made a reservation with reception (based on their advice) we still had major problems being seated for our evening meal. Even having confirmed the table and the time, we still had no table. The restaurant staff appeared a little slow and somewhat vacant in terms of accommodating us, we were told we could have a complimentary drink at the bar since we have been sat waiting well over an hour, to my very unfortunate mistake i order two large glasses of wine for my mum and I and were later advised by the bar staff that a complimentary drink only entitled us to a small drink or a single measure. Patience waring very thin, i accepted this and expressed my sincere disappointment with the reception staff who eventually after hashing our evening meal up arranged for us to dine at an alternative restaurant close by.

Tip: Check what events are on at the SECC prior to booking, we stayed here during a Bob Dylan concert and the hotel was absolutely jam packed with people that weren't even staying at the hotel, the bar and restaurants became very busy and it took on average twenty minutes plus to be served at the bar. We have also stayed at the hotel while the Junior Olympics trialled at the SECC and it was chaos, guest were overspilling into function rooms and tables were being double booked. At the right time the hotel is super and well worth staying at!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for posting such a comprehensive review. I am pleased that you do enjoy staying with us bur am sorry that we didn't handle your restaurant reservation in the best way possible. As you quite correctly state, we can get extremely busy when a concert is on at the SECC which we do have separate procedures for - obviously on this ocassion they were not followed. My apologies and I do hope you will not be deterred from staying again.