New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Pipers' Tryst Hotel

The Pipers' Tryst Hotel
Ranked #9 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Not plush, but friendly and very convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Small hotel right in Centre of Glasgow. Very convenient for main shopping areas and theatres. Could do with a bit of touching up and carpets renewed, but was clean and had everything you need. Great breakfast (even for vegetarian). Staff very friendly. Good value

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I spent a night at the Pipers Tryst hotel 3 weeks ago and I have to say I had a good time.
I was not looking for a luxurious big place to stay but somewhere cosy and small, and The Pipers Tryst hotel was perfect! To contradict one of the previous review I read, I thought the bed was perfect! the staff was very nice - asking me if I needed a table for dinner while I was checking in. In the morning, I had salmon and eggs for breakfast, I liked it but may be there is a bit too much cream in the scrambled eggs... Overall, a great place to stay as very central. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Great staff, small, cosy and quiet - perfect place!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went to a wedding for the full day at the Piping Centre which was fantastic!! Great place to have a traditional Scottish Wedding, food & service was fantastic and the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. We also stayed overnight at the Pypers Tryst including breakfast....rooms are adequate, good size and most importantly spotlessly clean and breakfast was plentiful and tasty. I have since purchased vouchers to stay here again as the restaraunt is cosy and the location is fantastic for accessing city entertainment. Looking at it from a wedding location venue I don't think there would be many couples disappointed.... all round a great venue, hotel & restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seona m
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Part of an xmas gift to my friend to have a girlie night in town.. I did have second thoughts after reading a few reviews after I had paid for the "deal" which was to include a bottle of Prosecco in the room and the famous Major Pipers breakfast. The hotel or restaurant with rooms was a "Major" disappointment to say the least, and I was very embarrassed to say the least that I had purchased this as a gift. To list a few of the issues... I was told there would be parking available at car park next door, however it was closed therefore had to find another one. I asked when booking could I have a decent sized room and apparently I was give one of the biggest.. well if room 3 was the one of the biggest..... The corridor that led to the rooms had a musty, damp smell to it. The room itself I would term as tired and in need of an makeover. The furniture had clearly been a different colour in the past and had been painted a strange shade blue in an attempt to blend in with the throw and carpet. Who ever painted the walls clearly needed a trip to specsavers as a fair amount of paint was over the woodwork on the skirtings and window frames.. this was mirrored in the bar area. The LCD TV... my son's ipad has a bigger screen. The bathroom wasnt much better and the sealent around the tiles was flithy and full of mould... Mr Muscle required. We decided we could not use the bath due to this. We headed into town, hopefully returning to the room with the Prosecco awaiting.. no it was a 3/4 bottle of "sparkling " wine which the name does not ring a bell therefore I decided to head down to the bar and ask for what had been outlinned when I booked. The staff who are very pleasant gave me the Prosecco.. no apology however. In addition we were informed there would be no one.. thats correct no one on site after 6pm??? Albeit the folder in the room gave instructions in case of emergency I was a bit concerned at this. Is it normal practise to leave guests in a hotel with no one on duty or on site ???? Thankfully we could be trusted, and no emergencies we knew of occurred. We settled for the night however the beds are in desperate need of new mattresses and my friend found hair ( not the kind you find in your hair) in her bed as she pulled the sheets back to get in...
In the morning we headed down for the famous breakfast.. which was good however a bit on the dry side and the presentation very diffent from you see advertised the website. The seat we had at the window provided some light entertainment for a Monday morning however we were distracted by the dust on the wood at the bottom of the window and the same painter had been let loose on the woodwork.. My advise is avoid this one..

Room Tip: Try another hotel.. holiday in around the corner is much better
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine K
trystmanager, General Manager at The Pipers' Tryst Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am extremely apologetic about your recent stay at The Pipers’ Tryst last Sunday. It is good to hear your constructive feedback and hope that I can answer some of your finer points below:

The offer you booked was a voucher offer and included a bottle of ‘sparkling’ wine. The wine is a French sparkling brut, therefore similar to Prosecco, but not made in Italy. We do stock Prosecco, and I am glad to see that the staff had no difficulty exchanging it for a bottle of your liking.

We do not have a car park at The Pipers’ Tryst. Being so central there are three large car parks located close to our premises. The car park next door is a private car park not an NCP, therefore the private owner can choose to open or close on Sundays. Glasgow City Council does offer free parking all day on a Sunday and there are plenty of spaces surrounding our premises. Our staff will happily provide information required on parking, but we are not responsible for guest’s cars.

The Pipers’ Tryst is an 8 bedroom ‘restaurant with rooms’. The building is an old tenement house; therefore the rooms are larger and airier than some central hotels. Room 3 is a nice room which overlooks the front of the building. I am sorry that you did not agree with the size, the TV or the decor.

The Pipers’ Tryst is a budget hotel and our rates and special voucher offers reflect this. The rooms were originally built to house students studying at The National Piping Centre. Therefore they have all mod-cons required but not on a grand scale. The TV is 19inch and sized according to the space provided for it. We are a musical centre of excellence and not many of our visitors stay within their rooms for a long period, they enjoy central Glasgow, dining out and theatre culture of the area.

In regards to the paint job and cleanliness, again please accept my sincere apologies. The bedroom cleanliness was checked prior to your check in by the manager on duty and passed the standard, however please accept my apologies if it did not meet yours. We have just started a refurbishment project to repair all bathrooms and bring them up to a good standard. They are currently being re-grouted to replace discoloured grout. The paint is the same colour over 4 floors of the building and this is an ongoing maintenance task. I do appreciate that we are not as stylish as some hotels. We are a registered charity and most of our profits go into teaching of piping. We hope to have the funds to upgrade the rooms in the near future.

Thank you once again for your feedback and will ensure it is discussed with our management team, directors and board to make sure we meet the standard of all our future guests.
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked this hotel through a deal. It was a great bargain for bed and breakfast including a bottle of bubbly. Room was fine with everything you need in it. Location nice and quiet considering it is in city centre. We had dinner in hotel which was excellent and the staff are a breath of fresh air. I would recommend this hotel for a nice short romantic break.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Room was pretty basic but clean enough. Location is pretty central, two minutes and your at the shops, also not far from Queen street station. Really great location. Only had breakfast here which was continental and was ok, but nothing great. Staff were friendly enough on check in and check out.

Room Tip: We were told we would be in a room with two single beds. Both beds had light almost right above the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weephil76
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here recently to celebrate our recent engagement. Having booked it in January I was very much looking forward to a wee night away however we were less than impressed with the stay!

It all started when I received a voicemail message on the morning of our stay to inform us that there was a wedding in the hotel and as such the restaurant would be out of commission that night! We would also be required to check in via the piper centre desk as the normal check in door would be out of use. To say I was a wee bit miffed was an understatement - there was no mention of a wedding being on when I booked and to be told that morning is hardly giving me notice! This meant we couldn't have a drink in the bar or a meal and had to make rushed alternative arrangements!

We put this out of our mind and made our way to the hotel - only to find we had been put in a twin room. We phoned reception to inform them of their error only to be told that they only have one double and so we couldn't move. I suggested making the bed into a king (having worked in hospitality as a chambermaid this would b common practice using a band to lock bed together and then cover with king duvet) however this was dismissed out of hand. We explained that we were celebrating our engagement and would have never booked a twin if we'd known but they were not for budging. My fiancé was pretty disgusted with their attitude - they did offer us the chance to change booking to stay in double room another night but we'd already arrived so didn't really want to traipse all the way home again and grudgingly stayed put. We were offered nothing else in the way of discount or apologies and check out staff the next morning were very abrupt.

All very disappointing - i'd read the reviews and was looking forward to a relaxing night in the comfort of a wee hotel with gorgeous food but instead we spent only a few hours at the hotel as ended up going out in town for drinks and dinner instead!

As a result I'm afraid I would hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone! A real shame

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
trystmanager, General Manager at The Pipers' Tryst Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for your taking the time to write a review. I am terribly sorry that The Pipers’ Tryst did not meet your expectations during your recent stay.

We are classed by Visit Scotland as an 8-bedroom ‘restaurant with rooms’. The Pipers’ Tryst restaurant is a very popular destination for Scottish food, weddings and private family celebrations. It is not unusual that we are fully booked during guests stays, especially at the weekend. We do advise booking in advance and therefore you would have been notified of the fully booked status well ahead of arrival.

Last Friday, as a matter of courtesy the manager on duty called all guests to make them aware that we had a wedding within the premises. She had given an alternative check in method to ensure your greeting was smooth and welcoming, but also to ensure the wedding meal wasn’t interrupted. We are part of The National Piping Centre and guests can check in at either front desk.

I am very sorry that you were unable to dine with us during your stay. In advance of your arrival, we made sure there was a cold bottle of sparkling wine in your room and an offer to make reservations elsewhere was given at check in. The manager also delivered the latest food and drink guide to your bedroom door to assist with a choice of restaurant and to make you aware that we offer room service.

Being so small but also central, it is standard practise that staff will offer to make reservations for guests elsewhere, book theatre tickets and give directions to ensure their stay within Glasgow is a pleasurable experience.

We have 1 double room and 7 twins; originally we were built as a residential teaching facility for bagpiping. At the time of booking all guests are informed of their room type and a confirmation email sent stating your rate and room type. The beds are not ‘zip and link’ therefore could not be made into a double/king. However, you were offered a full refund or a date change if you wished to come another time.

We are exceptionally flexible with our guests and staff will always offer an alternative if the room or the guest expectations are not met. It is very difficult to make amends post-stay, however please accept our sincere apologies.