“Fantastic stay, Great location!!!!”

and 1 more site!
The Pipers' Tryst Hotel
Ranked #3 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed in the hotel after recommendations from friends and was not disappointed. Superb location just minutes walking distance from main Shopping areas in Glasgow. Staff were very helpful and rooms were clean and comfortable. After seeing the menu we decided to eat in the restaurant and were thoroughly impressed. The same staff who welcomed us to the hotel were working in the restaurant that evening and were terrific, despite the restaurant being very busy. All Scottish produce and very reasonably priced, it was a terrific meal from start to finish! The hotel and restaurant are a real hidden gem and we will definitely be returning on our next visit to Glasgow.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Warm and friendly welcome and nothing was too much trouble during our stay. The staff let us have a late check out and brought breakfast to our room when my friend became ill overnight. I would not hesitate to stay here again and I will recommend the hotel to everyone looking for a hidden gem in Glasgow. Fantastic!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank gilltay78
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Small hotel right in Centre of Glasgow. Very convenient for main shopping areas and theatres. Could do with a bit of touching up and carpets renewed, but was clean and had everything you need. Great breakfast (even for vegetarian). Staff very friendly. Good value

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I spent a night at the Pipers Tryst hotel 3 weeks ago and I have to say I had a good time.
I was not looking for a luxurious big place to stay but somewhere cosy and small, and The Pipers Tryst hotel was perfect! To contradict one of the previous review I read, I thought the bed was perfect! the staff was very nice - asking me if I needed a table for dinner while I was checking in. In the morning, I had salmon and eggs for breakfast, I liked it but may be there is a bit too much cream in the scrambled eggs... Overall, a great place to stay as very central. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Great staff, small, cosy and quiet - perfect place!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went to a wedding for the full day at the Piping Centre which was fantastic!! Great place to have a traditional Scottish Wedding, food & service was fantastic and the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. We also stayed overnight at the Pypers Tryst including breakfast....rooms are adequate, good size and most importantly spotlessly clean and breakfast was plentiful and tasty. I have since purchased vouchers to stay here again as the restaraunt is cosy and the location is fantastic for accessing city entertainment. Looking at it from a wedding location venue I don't think there would be many couples disappointed.... all round a great venue, hotel & restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seona m
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Part of an xmas gift to my friend to have a girlie night in town.. I did have second thoughts after reading a few reviews after I had paid for the "deal" which was to include a bottle of Prosecco in the room and the famous Major Pipers breakfast. The hotel or restaurant with rooms was a "Major" disappointment to say the least, and I was very embarrassed to say the least that I had purchased this as a gift. To list a few of the issues... I was told there would be parking available at car park next door, however it was closed therefore had to find another one. I asked when booking could I have a decent sized room and apparently I was give one of the biggest.. well if room 3 was the one of the biggest..... The corridor that led to the rooms had a musty, damp smell to it. The room itself I would term as tired and in need of an makeover. The furniture had clearly been a different colour in the past and had been painted a strange shade blue in an attempt to blend in with the throw and carpet. Who ever painted the walls clearly needed a trip to specsavers as a fair amount of paint was over the woodwork on the skirtings and window frames.. this was mirrored in the bar area. The LCD TV... my son's ipad has a bigger screen. The bathroom wasnt much better and the sealent around the tiles was flithy and full of mould... Mr Muscle required. We decided we could not use the bath due to this. We headed into town, hopefully returning to the room with the Prosecco awaiting.. no it was a 3/4 bottle of "sparkling " wine which the name does not ring a bell therefore I decided to head down to the bar and ask for what had been outlinned when I booked. The staff who are very pleasant gave me the Prosecco.. no apology however. In addition we were informed there would be no one.. thats correct no one on site after 6pm??? Albeit the folder in the room gave instructions in case of emergency I was a bit concerned at this. Is it normal practise to leave guests in a hotel with no one on duty or on site ???? Thankfully we could be trusted, and no emergencies we knew of occurred. We settled for the night however the beds are in desperate need of new mattresses and my friend found hair ( not the kind you find in your hair) in her bed as she pulled the sheets back to get in...
In the morning we headed down for the famous breakfast.. which was good however a bit on the dry side and the presentation very diffent from you see advertised the website. The seat we had at the window provided some light entertainment for a Monday morning however we were distracted by the dust on the wood at the bottom of the window and the same painter had been let loose on the woodwork.. My advise is avoid this one..

Room Tip: Try another hotel.. holiday in around the corner is much better
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elaine K
trystmanager, General Manager at The Pipers' Tryst Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am extremely apologetic about your recent stay at The Pipers’ Tryst last Sunday. It is good to hear your constructive feedback and hope that I can answer some of your finer points below:

The offer you booked was a voucher offer and included a bottle of ‘sparkling’ wine. The wine is a French sparkling brut, therefore similar to Prosecco, but not made in Italy. We do stock Prosecco, and I am glad to see that the staff had no difficulty exchanging it for a bottle of your liking.

We do not have a car park at The Pipers’ Tryst. Being so central there are three large car parks located close to our premises. The car park next door is a private car park not an NCP, therefore the private owner can choose to open or close on Sundays. Glasgow City Council does offer free parking all day on a Sunday and there are plenty of spaces surrounding our premises. Our staff will happily provide information required on parking, but we are not responsible for guest’s cars.

The Pipers’ Tryst is an 8 bedroom ‘restaurant with rooms’. The building is an old tenement house; therefore the rooms are larger and airier than some central hotels. Room 3 is a nice room which overlooks the front of the building. I am sorry that you did not agree with the size, the TV or the decor.

The Pipers’ Tryst is a budget hotel and our rates and special voucher offers reflect this. The rooms were originally built to house students studying at The National Piping Centre. Therefore they have all mod-cons required but not on a grand scale. The TV is 19inch and sized according to the space provided for it. We are a musical centre of excellence and not many of our visitors stay within their rooms for a long period, they enjoy central Glasgow, dining out and theatre culture of the area.

In regards to the paint job and cleanliness, again please accept my sincere apologies. The bedroom cleanliness was checked prior to your check in by the manager on duty and passed the standard, however please accept my apologies if it did not meet yours. We have just started a refurbishment project to repair all bathrooms and bring them up to a good standard. They are currently being re-grouted to replace discoloured grout. The paint is the same colour over 4 floors of the building and this is an ongoing maintenance task. I do appreciate that we are not as stylish as some hotels. We are a registered charity and most of our profits go into teaching of piping. We hope to have the funds to upgrade the rooms in the near future.

Thank you once again for your feedback and will ensure it is discussed with our management team, directors and board to make sure we meet the standard of all our future guests.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked this hotel through a deal. It was a great bargain for bed and breakfast including a bottle of bubbly. Room was fine with everything you need in it. Location nice and quiet considering it is in city centre. We had dinner in hotel which was excellent and the staff are a breath of fresh air. I would recommend this hotel for a nice short romantic break.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple