“Smallest Hotel Room Anywhere?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #59 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Toronto
“Smallest Hotel Room Anywhere?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I spent 1 night at the Ambassador Hotel while in Scotland on a golf trip with friends. I booked my last 2 nights in Scotland at the Ambassador because I wanted to stay in Glasgow's West End before I flew home to Canada. It was the best I could find on short notice. The location is perfect just steps away from the Botanical Gardens. A great place to access the West End on foot or - as I did on my second day - jump aboard a tour bus. The problem was the room. My first clue was when Pam at reception warned me as she gave me the key that it was a "wee but small". That's Scottish for broom closet. I opened the door to see a room that was about 6 feet wide and 15 feet long. Standing next to the single bed I could touch both walls if I extended my arms. There was no room for my suitcase or golf clubs. I went back to reception and Pam did not seem a bit surprised when I said the room wasn't acceptable. Unfortunately it was the only room available. I spent 30 minutes on line looking for an alternative to no avail. The best I could do was a room at the airport Holiday Inn Express. I took that for the next night since it would be convenient for my morning flight. Pam cancelled my 2nd night without penalty or quarrel and refunded my payment. She couldn't have been more gracious and understanding. I suspect I was not the first to react in horror to the broom closet posing as a hotel room. The tiny room aside, the Ambassador was fine. Great location. Great Scottish breakfast - the best I had in Scotland. Terrific attitude and service. For instance, they let me leave my bags at the hotel all day the 2nd day while I toured Glasgow. I went back late afternoon to collect my bags and move to the airport Holiday Inn Express. I did find the room pretty noisy - I could hear every creak and comment from the rooms around me. Not the place for light sleepers. I wouldn't stay there again in spite of the great location.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly and ask about the size and location of the available rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric22754

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

10 mins from subway station. Walking distance to supermarkets and Botanical Garden. Very quiet location. The lady at the reception is helpful. Given a room at next building and got upgrade to a triple room on ground floor just next to the front door. Very spacious. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Charleston, SC, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Got a triple room for the family. Ended up next door to the actual hotel in the apartments. Had breakfast in the hotel. Our room was a converted parlor with lovely architectural details. Breakfast next door was pleasant.

The location is off the beaten path, but works. It is a block from a stop for the tourist oriented Hop On, Hop Off Bus, and several other bus lines, just across the bridge by the Botanical Gardens. Two blocks further away is the delightful, but small Glasgow subway, which will also take you downtown. Good shopping and modestly priced restaurants nearby as well.

They have a very modestly priced private car service to the airport available. It had to have saved us ten pounds.

The neighborhood is very quiet, but transit will have you at the city center in minutes.

Breakfast was complete and pleasant. The family enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here in July with my wife and daughter in a family room. We were given a room at the Embassy Apartments right next door. Breakfast was included and served at the Ambassador Hotel. It was full Scottish breakfast and was very tasty. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious and had lots of character. West End Location was excellent - across from beautiful botanical gardens and a 10 minute cab ride from downtown. Room was clean and comfortable. There were may restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Murrumbateman, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had a one night stay here and were extremely impressed. Our room was the old 'billiard room' - fitted out with kitchen, bathroom and a huge family room with two double beds and a single bed. We had a lovely big TV with beautiful furniture - just what we needed after three weeks on the go through Europe and England.

Situated literally across the road from the Botanic gardens, shops across the road and free on-site parking. We enjoyed take away dinner in the comfort of our 'suite' and slept like babies. Fabulous!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Breakfast really okay, but room not overly nice. The towels and bedlinnen did not smell too good, the window was wett all the time. The bathroom should have been cleaner. A nice thing was the fridge in the room and free WiFi. The subway station is about 15 minutes away by foot. The botanic garden is real close to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

the hotel is easy to find and well located the beds and the room was comfortable the breakfast was excellent,but it was let down by staffing problems which left us with no milk,no loo rollsand an unmade bed for one day.one staff member (jean)was the best asset to this hotel and is run ragged trying to fix everything.good points are the food,nice beds friendly staff, bads points to much diy in bathrooms, drawers falling to bits,no attention to detail and if you value your car dont use the car park it is the pits to get to and from!!

Room Tip: choose low floor
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple