2,908 results
All reviews river view squinty bridge city centre sse hydro attending a concert car park shower room excellent hotel reception staff min walk rooms are small mini bar breakfast was excellent ideal location tea and coffee modern hotel stayed for one night
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed here, the night we went to see Take That at Hampden Park. It wasn't my first choice, due to the price and distance from the venue, but I'd left it too late and everywhere was booked up. Was very pleasantly surprised on arrival to find that they were fully prepared for the influx of TT fans and had written details of transport to and from Hampden, as well as extra staff on hand to anwer any questions. The room was very comfortable, spacious, clean and well-equipped. Our particular room had an excellent view over the Clyde River and was a short 20 min walk into the city centre. Breakfast was delicious. There was a super choice of items for cooked breakfast, however, the buffet style breakfast choice was quite limited. The service was excellent at reception and in the bar/restaurant. A jazz band played in the bar until late, giving us time to chill-out before retiring to bed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovelylexie
NeilCIG, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2009

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and next time you visit, why not visit our website where the best rate is guaranteed.
Hope to welcome you back to City Inn Glasgow soon.
Best regards

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We have stayed at the City Inn, Glasgow a couple of times before & usually to attend concerts at the SECC. We stayed one night & found the hotel had improved since our last visit. It was much more efficient service at reception with check-in only taking a matter of minutes & the receptionist was very friendly & smiling! We had booked the City Club Room & we were very pleased to receive "extras" with our booking - free bottle of wine & water in our room, complimentary chocoloates, reduced price of one drink in the bar, reduced price for room service & the option to check out the next day up until 6.00pm.
Room was fine - river view & the usual standard of City Inn. Clean and functional. Bathroom clean & the shower very good - hot & powerful. We were next to some sort of air-conditioning unit which kept us awake during the night but it seemed to calm down a bit during the early hours. This was a shame as otherwise it was a quiet room.
We didn't bother with breakfast as we wanted to rush off in the morning but you have tea/coffee facilities in the room.
We find this hotel to be the perfect location for the SECC & only a short walk or taxi-ride into Glasgow.
The bar is a nightmare after any shows at the SECC as it is far too small for a mass crowd of people so you have no chance of getting a drink but otherwise we had no real complaints.
Would highly recommend for anyone wanting a hotel near to the SECC - it's the best one around!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
NeilCIG, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2009

Dear Reviewer

many thanks indeed for your comments and I am delighted you return to us as you find us the best Hotel around!

I am sorry that you found our bar crowded out and I agree, it can be appear compact immediately after some concerts spill out.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to City Inn Glasgow the next time you venture to a concert at the SECC.

best regards

Reviewed October 16, 2009

We held a large family party in the nearby Ferry, and lots of our friends and family booked rooms here. My husband's relatives had stayed here a few times beforehand and recommended it. I booked several rooms for my family through a third party website, some at £139 per night due to the golf championship on the same week-end.
The hotel is modern and airy and very handy for the new BBC building and the city centre. I'm trying to think of other objective things to say, but that's it, I'm afraid.
The staff were unhelpful, gloomy and disorganised, at the front desk, the bar and the rooms.
My mother's service was the worst I've come across for a long time. We specifically ordered a twin room, but when we arrived it was a double. The front desk sent up a "man" to split the bed. He was very sour faced and didn't say a word to us the entire time, despite me trying to make light of the situation. It was very uncomfortable. Several of the in-room appliances didn't work, and they brought the wrong newspaper in the morning. When she checked out they tried to charge her (and my siblings) for breakfast, and we had to show our booking documentation again. At every stage we were met with sour faces, not a smile or helpful gesture in sight.
I tried to change one of the bookings and was given the runaround by several people. Eventually I decided to move it to the Bristol City Inn, but was told that wasn't possible, even 'though they are from the same chain. There was absolutely no attempt to be flexible or accommodating, and I certainly won't be booking a room here again on principle. I now have a very expensive week-end booking in my home city which I have no inclination to use, and I'm very tempted to go and check in just so that they can't give the room to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Dear Reader

I can only apologise for the way the guests were left feeling and the apparent lack of service during their stay 3 months ago. This is not the norm at City Inn Glasgow, I can assure you all of that.

I cannot give a fuller response to this as without it being fresh in the minds of staff, no date of stay, no room number and no McShinty listed, It is difficult to look into and resolve.
I have contacted the reviewer via this site asking them to get in touch so that I can respond to them directly.

I would ask any reviewer should they ever find themselves unhappy with any aspect of their stay be it the ammenities, the room or service at any Hotel, voice it there and then.
This allows the establishment to immediately resolve any issue(s) to the satisfaction of everyone so that the rest of the stay can be enjoyed to the full.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My only, and significant, problem with my stay at City Inn came when I checked my credit card transactions. The City Inn charged my card twice: for a night's stay (£79) and £50 for extras, both on the day of arrival. I have no problem supplying my card number for security against late cancellation or mini-bar abuse; indeed this is standard hotel practice. However, my card has never been charged *in advance* of my departure unless I was paying for a meal or drinks up front. While the hotel has admitted it 'doesn't usually' implement two charges it insists charging in advance is standard policy, so I would advise checking your transcation history carefully following a stay here.

That this happened is a shame as I had otherwise been pleased with the City Inn. The rooms are small but the space is used very well and there is an admirable attention to detail, from the rainfall shower to the decent hairdryer and full ironing board provided. Food and drink definitely on the pricy side for the quality but the service while we were there was good, if somewhat impersonal. However, I don't expect my card to charged without being informed first, and certainly not to amounts of well over £100, so as this is the stated regular policy of the City Inn brand I will not be back.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bag_already_packed
NeilCIG, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2009

Dear Guest

I am sorry for the way that your recent experience surrounding the card charges has left you feeling, as this was not our intention.

There has obviously been a mix up at our end in terms of whether your card was a Credit or Debit Card.
Pre-authorisations are taken on Credit Cards as a matter of course but Debit Cards & Pre Paid Credit Cards are a little different.
Credit Card pre-authorisations hold an amount in reserve for the Hotel prior to the guest using the facilities. This is not shown as a charge on your statement but does reduce your available to spend balance.
This shows that A, the funds are available and the hotel will be paid and B, that a line of credit can be given to allow resturant, bar and sundries charged to your room.
A 'completion' is done on check-out, whereby the reserved money is used to pay the bill and any unspent money, added immediately back to your available to spend balance.

Pre-authorisations on Debit Cards or the new Pre Paid Credit Cards are frowned upon by banks as the money is actually withdrawn from the account and can take weeks to refund if not all used. There is also no authorisation by the guest to charge incidentals to the account either.
Where there is no credit card available then the full cost of the stay must be paid for at the time of check-in, standard practice in many hotels.
Many hotels like to offer the guest the opportunity to charge items to their room but Debit Card Authorisations do not allow this hence asking for full prepayment at the desk.

Sorry for the somewhat long winded response but there are many incidences of miscommunicated pre-authorisations and charges right accross the Hotel industry worldwide.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times and trust the money has been 'unheld' and re-entered your account.

Best regards

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We got off to a bit of a bad start at this hotel. We had booked the City Club package, with early check in. On walking to the desk to check in, the receptionist asked how he could help me, in what was quite a curt manner. It was about 2.30pm. I said that we were there to check in. Without checking any further, he immediately said that he would have to see if there was a room that was cleaned as "a lot of people have been trying to check in early today and the check in time is of course 3.00". I pointed out that we were actually entitled to early check in and this was then fine. This whole check in experience was however quite unwelcoming. We then got in the lift to go to our room on the 5th floor and found lift button 5 missing and the hole taped over! This just looked so unprofessional. It did get very much better after this first bad 10 minutes. Our room was small but, as with all City Inns, it was extremely well designed and equipped. I can't think of anything you might need that is not in there somewhere. I wouldn't stay for a holiday as there simply isn't enough room for clothes etc, but for an odd night or two, it is perfect. The bathroom is very small, with no bath, only a shower, again fine for just a night or two. All City Inns do, I think, have the free Imac/flat screen TV and this is an inspired and much appreciated feature of City Inn. The restaurant here was really first class, with great service. We ate there both nights that we were there and really enjoyed it. Food, wine, presentation and service were all excellent and the restaurant itself has lovely views out over the River Clyde. Breakfast was also very good. I don't think we got just quite what we ordered on either day, but never mind, the service was charming! The free parking at the hotel was also very much appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curlycat

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to send in your feedback. It is only with this, added to our internal questionnaires, that we can help improve your experience and in turn our business.

We pride ourselves on our levels of customer service and on check in, we failed you. for this I am truly sorry and it will be addressed at the team briefing tomorrow.
The 5th floor lift button is a supplier issue and we have been promised install by Wednesday of next week, not ideal I agree!

I am delighted that you chose to dine with us both nights in our very popular City Cafe and found the food to be excellent.

Thank you again and I hope to be able to welcome you back to City Inn Glasgow in the very near future.

Kind regards