New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Super Location, Great Apartments” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spires Serviced Suites

The Spires Serviced Suites
Edinburgh
“Super Location, Great Apartments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

I booked this through Serviced Apartments International and I stayed here while i attended the Grand Retails Trust Ball. I found it to be very well located, just 5 mins from the ball and city centre.
In all my 36 hours in Glasgow were fantastic.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WildGrouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

Its always re-assuring to be greeted by a smiling face when you enter a hotel and we were greeted by a lovely young lady!

The Spires had just re-located and my concern was teething trouble. But there were none. The staff had been well briefed and everything was in its place and organised.

The accomodation is fabulous. Well laid out, and very well equipped, felt like home.

Staff were on hand 24h if required and nothing was a problem.

This is the sort of place everyone would wish for as a city bolt hole.

Bed was very comfy, and sleeping was no issue.

This my will be my stop over in future in Glasgow.

Cheers.

Bruce D

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

No no no.Wait until 2011 before booking.No no no.Wait until 2011 before booking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank botofogo
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

We arrived in Glasgow before reception opened (that is the fastest I have ever been through an international arrival - way to go GLA!). After waiting a short time outside of the building, we were buzzed in. I had forgotton to warn them that we would be arriving early, but our room was available so we were allowed to check in immediately. The apartment was mostly clean (my parents's room hadn't been vaccuumed particularly well and had a lot of grass clippings on the carpet). The small kitchenette seemed like it would work fine for limited cooking, and was furnished well enough for the basics. The sofa was not particularly comfortable to sit on, but the rest of the furnishings were fine for our short stay. The photos on their website pretty accurately represent the apartments as they would have looked when everything was brand new; our apartment showed some wear and tear.

One of the reasons I booked this place was the availability of a wireless internet connection (although for a fee). However, we found that we had limited to absolutlely no connection in our room - when it was connected it was so slow as to make the connection virtually useless. My husband found that the best connection in the room was when he was sat directly in front of the door to the hallway - a better connection could be made in the stairwell!. Most of the time we initially paid for was spent trying to get and keep the connection, and for what we were paying for it, it was an absolute rip-off. To the management's credit, they did waive the charges after my husband complained. Based on our experience, they should not be advertising that a wireless connection is available.

I'm sure that there are more atmospheric places to stay in Glasgow, but for the cost, location, and the amount of time we were staying, the apartment mostly fit our needs.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

I've stayed at the spires Glasgow, well over a dozen times during the last 2 years as the location is excellent & it's generally a pleasant experience...IF you avoid Friday & Saturday nights...

Several times last year I stayed over the weekend, when it became evident that many of the apartments are used to host all night parties by large groups of people. The noise at times has to be heard to be believed - accordingly I avoided spires at weekend, recently however I learned that their was some kind of 24 hour presence, in the building, presumably to keep some level of order.

Recently I stayed at spires again on a Saturday night - all was well till around 4.30am when I was awoken by a full scale rave party (possibly, their was more than one party-difficult to pinpoint where all the noise was coming from), the level of noise suggested their were many dozens of people present - there was also groups of people roaming around the corridors.

On calling the phone number Spires give for assistance, the call was forwarded to a gentleman who was obviously in his bed, who didn't sound to charmed about being woken up! - 'Oh nooo' he said, 'I'll do my best', and hung up.

The music volume seems to be lowered almost immediately......not to a tolerable level, but an improvement. However the occupants, then proceeded to commence fighting with each other & throwing things around the room, slamming doors, and shouting abuse at each other. It was now 5.30 am & I was resigned to sitting it out till 7am to make a very quick getaway!

I value my own personal safety & security too greatly to consider staying at Spires ever again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dba169
Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

The Spires serviced apartments ... located in The Pinnacle Building in central glasgow !

I stayed there for 9 nights, and it was okay ...

I arrived at around 4 PM .. contacted reception by the security key pad located outside .. they buzzed me into the building .. the reception wich is located on the 1st floor is not easy to find although there are many signs i had to help 2 foreign families locate the reception during my stay.

I arrive at the reception and a lady is waiting with the keys and some papers about parking and how to get in/ out the building etc.

I was allocated apartment 12 wich is directly opposite the reception ... but no disturbance was caused whatsoever.

The first 2 days the service was amazing .. the cleaning was great and everything went smoothly .. day 3 i arrive home after my day out and everything is still a mess .. the man at reception offers clean towels and tissue etc.

From then on the cleaning service was irregular .. this was a big problem for me as a member of my family was sick.

Other than that my stay was great .. Stephen from reception was a nice man .. he helped a lot when i needed help regarding anything from excess baggage info to numbers of hopsitals.

The apartments are located in the city centre .. Central station is a short walk away .. as well as Suchihall street and Buchanan Bus Station.

I booked the 2 Bedroom apartments .. very spacious and comfortable. Bathrooms we'rnt very big (compared to other apartments in Glasgow). The kitchen was well equipped and even had a washing machine.

The living room had a tv and a dvd player (dvds are available from reception) and a telephone (which doesnt work unless u have some kind of card).

Overall the Spires is a great place .. with a great and affordable price .. has a central location .. and it IS home away from home!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Q80BOY
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were working at an exhibition being held in the Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow. 10 minute walk away. We did originally book a one apartment - my partner Tom then decided to go as well - so they were going to place z bed for no extra charge. When we arrived - they offered us an upgrade to a 2 bed appt - no charge. Apartment very clean - one or 2 niggles - dishwasher not working - but owners washed our dishes - and shower holder in master suite collapsed. This did not ruin our stay - and I would stay at the apartments again

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business