All reviews oran mor great western road byres road continental breakfast west end glasgow university botanic gardens top floor sweeping staircase great location lovely comfy bed charming hotel no lift wedding party bathroom shower busy road would stay again
Reviewed October 8, 2018

We booked the entire hotel for an exclusive hire to house our wedding party. We got married at Oran Mor and stayed at The Alfred (being the sister hotel for Oran Mor) throughout. We could not of wished for more. It was perfect home from home. Exactly what I needed as I nervous bride to be.

The staff were so wonderful. So helpful and friendly but having exclusive access they were not too visible too. Leaving us to have freedom throughout. The perfect balance.

The deco was wonderfully retro which I loved and made for wonderful wedding pics.

The continental breakfast was great and suited all tastes and the beds were extremely comfortable. I even managed to get a good nights sleep before the big day.

The stay made my whole wedding experience that extra special. Anyone getting married at Oran Mor this is a real must. Thank you! x

Room tip: The Best Wedding prep room is on the first floor with the Bay windows. Lots of good lighting for make up
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2018 via mobile

I noticed the very mixed reviews of this place before I booked but decided to take a chance.
The positives:
-Sweet location
-Lovely staff
-Nice continental breakfast
-Personal feel

The negatives:
-Run down, e.g., musty smelling bathrooms with some mould growing in the shower, garbage on the roof, chipping paint, and noisy radiators
-The wifi is unreliable on the upper floors, which means no wifi or tv in your room because the tv is a smart tv only
-Teeny, tiny, dated shower with low shower pressure and Luke warm water
-Small beds with poorly fitting sheets
-No hairdryer in room

I’ve seen the owner or manager respond to reviews similar to mine with the explanation that it’s a quirky, old Victorian house. I’ve been to many beautiful and quirky converted old homes. There’s a huge differed between quirky and plain run down. The price of 80-90 pounds a night for a double is simply not justifiable when so much maintenance needs to be done. This place could be well worth the price with some reliable wifi on all floors, updated showers, and some freshening up of the details (sheets and cleaned up rooftop).

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Charming hotel in the west end of Glasgow , close to many bars and restaurants. Hotel is a mixture of old charm with modern amenities. Staff are pleasant and attentive.
My room though on the top floor was a double bed in a well kept room with ample space !
Nice breakfast room offering continental fare with ample tea and coffee

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Suzanne H, Manager at The Alfred, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you had a great time in Glasgow experiencing what the city has to offer!

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst I was on a course at Glasgow University. Ideal location for proximity to the university which was great.
Hotel is fabulously quirky, and I’d say unique in its decor. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
My room was very spacious and immaculately clean and tended to every day. Adequate tea/coffee facilities etc.
One or two things to be aware of though- there isn’t a lift so being on one of the upper floors is a good work out! I’d avoid this hotel if you have mobility problems. Also the showers a quite neat in size. I’m average size and managed ok but there’s little space to manoeuvre. The water pressure is also poor on the second floor.
Breakfast was continental which suits me fine, and as a creature of habit (granola,fruit, and yogurt most days) I was happy with the choice, but it did seem limited to others.
Overall though I had a nice stay and would stay again...if the price was right. Bit expensive for what you get.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2018

We stayed at The Alfred for almost a week Access to the Hotel is a little off putting. The walk to some shops and restaurants as well as subway stations was fantastic. We were on the second floor and, although the staircase was beautiful and twisty, you certainly got your exercise walking up and down. Our room was quite spacious and the bay window overlooked the front terrace and out to the north. The biggest negative was the small shower with poor water pressure.
Overall though I would come and stay again as we did find the staff very helpful and polite and the Hotel has a special old world charm you don't find anymore .

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we take all comments seriously and use them in order to improve on our service and offer guests the best experience we can.

As the hotel is located in the heart of the West End and on a terrace above the main street, Great Western Road, I can understand how it can be difficult to find and maybe a little off putting. We try and give clear directions on our website and the confirmations emails we send out to ensure guests have as much information as possible in order to make finding us as easy as we can. This can be looked at again in order to make sure the most up to date information is available.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with and hope that you enjoyed your time exploring Glasgow!