All reviews aspects restaurant executive room leisure centre leisure pool steam room aviemore resort buffet breakfast huge bed weekend break stayed here for two nights tea and coffee enjoyable stay restaurant staff both mornings spey valley db b play area
Reviewed June 21, 2017

Booked a two night stay and was initially quite happy, however on the second day nothing on the tea tray was replenished and the cups were not cleaned. The toiletries - one small bottle of shampoo, one small body wash and one soap between two weren't replaced either.
Would also have liked to see more information in the bedroom on the hotel facilities. We were given a map at reception, but no details at all.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2017 via mobile

Not a bad hotel, but just not good - as expected.
I found the complex confusing. It's hard to find your way around with so many buildings and no one gives you directions upon arrival. The hotel gives you a feeling of university dorms. The rooms are clean and nice but VERY small. I mean the bathroom is ridiculous. No air-con, fan or heater. Broken glass on the entrance to the rooms.
The staff weren't very pleasant either. I ordered room service and the two 'lads' that brought it to my room banged on my door and before I got to the door banged again, really loudly. Weren't very friendly either.
I'd stay again, because of the location but for no other reason.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2017 via mobile

hello i booked a surprise birthday treat for my fiance. it turned out perfect room was superb. i managed to sneak a cake to staff to take out in restaurant at dinner which they brought out singing. on the resort we went to the cinema, spa and spey valley shopping centre. so much to see and do here fantastic hotel loved it!! thanks

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2017

I arrived with my partner on Saturday 27th May around 8pm after a long 13 mile hike at Glencoe for Charity, looking for a much needed relaxing weekend. On arrival we were informed that the hotel had been overbooked (regardless of us booking over 4 weeks in advance) and that the receptionist was unable to find us a room. After phoning who I assumed was management, a room was found. It had looked as though our original room had been reallocated to another guest due to our original room number being scored out on our paper room card holder.

We arrived at our room to find our Highland Double Room was in fact a Twin Room.We called down to reception to complain and all that was said was that the hotel was overbooked and they had no other rooms available. After insisting that this was unacceptable, the receptionist had called Housekeeping to sort out the bed. We felt that this could have been dealt much more effectively with the reception staff informing us of the twin room situation before we arrived at our room - the double bed should have already been organised before our arrival.

On Sunday morning we decided to use the leisure centre which was a bit disappointing considering the 2 night stay price we had paid for. The pool was unheated and the steam room was not working however there was no sign to let any guests know that it was out of order. We only spent 50 minutes in the centre before going back to our hotel room.

Although housekeeping had already been to our room, we realised the sheets had not been changed and the water/glasses had not been replenished.

Still unhappy with the way staff had brushed us off over the phone and the housekeeping service, we asked to speak to the duty manager, on Sunday afternoon. He was kind enough to offer to come to our room and speak to us in person about our concerns. He arrived promptly and seemed to listen to our complaints - after questioning whether we had put down a "Do not re-fresh" sign on our bed (a sign which we did not realise there was) he organised for Housekeeping to refresh the bed linen. As for our complaint about the hotel being overbooked - we were offered a bottle of wine as compensation. A nice gesture however this really didn't minimize how disappointed we were after looking forward to a relaxing weekend stay after a charity hike.

Today (29/05/2017) we checked out around 10am and were traveling back to Glasgow, when at 12pm I realised I had left a very sentimental necklace on the shelf above the sink in the bathroom. I phoned the hotel and reported the necklace and the room number and was told I would be getting a phonecall back. I still hadn't received a update at 2.30pm so I called again and was told that there was no record of my earlier phonecall and again was told that I would be contacted with an update.

At this point I was already upset I had left my necklace behind however considering the next batch of Check In's weren't due until 4pm, I was confident that the necklace could have been found almost immediately once housekeeping had been notified of the missing necklace. 5.20pm rolled by and I was extremely anxious that the necklace had been stolen and was then doubting myself that the clasp had maybe come loose on leaving the hotel and I had not noticed.

After again no communication from the hotel, my Step Dad phoned the hotel on my behalf - he made it very aware to staff that this was the 3rd time we had phoned today to report the necklace and that there was no communication on their behalf to look for it. Initially he was told to phone back tomorrow, which is absolutely unacceptable customer service. It wasn't until the mention of involving the police in this incident, did the hotel respond within 10 minutes to say they had the necklace and that they would post it down to me. This should have been dealt with accordingly after the first time I called to report it at 12pm this afternoon.

Ultimately I feel that the level of customer service provided by the hotel and Macdonald staff in general have been extremely unacceptable and this is definitely not worth the 4 star rating which it currently has, which is such a shame considering what a lovely place Aviemore is. I am absolutely appalled by how unhelpful staff were and how our complaints and reporting the missing necklace have been completely dismissed. After such a horrendous stay I will be following this review up with an official letter of complaint.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Dear foley2017,

I am very sorry that you had issues during your stay with us, I can understand that this must have been frustrating when you were tired from the walk. I would like to discuss this with you further and ensure that you have now received your necklace safely in the post. I agree Aviemore is a lovely area and I would hate for the issues during your stay to effect your memories of the area and your view of the resort, if you would like to email guestservices.aviemore@macdonald-hotels.co.uk we can discuss further.

Kind regards
Ruth Dixon
Operations Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2017 via mobile

Extremely disappointed to arrive at the swimming pool today (as I have previously over many years ) to be told I can no longer pay myself and young family in for the day! Apparently the policy has changed but I can pay for a whole week's pass or years pass and prices start at £30!!!
We live in Inverness and we have travelled 30 miles to come here for a change of scenery and go for an hours swim. There are 7 of us - 3 adults and 4 young children most with high life highland cards but I personally don't have one but I'm not paying through the nose for an hours swim with my children!!! So instead I'm sat in the changing rooms writing an honest review whilst the rest are in swimming. I've just came back to the front desk to ask for an email address to write a complaint and spoke to 2 other families who have also been left disappointed and been told they have to pay the huge fee or go to the Hilton Coylumbridge hotel nearby. I wish we had done the same and left immediately but we weren't told that and I didn't want the kids to miss out. We stayed in hotels in this resort before and enjoyed our stay but will not be coming back!! Very poor from Macdonald management. Why not let families pay a reasonable rate for an hours leisure time on a weekend when that was the policy for years previously?!

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Scottdmorrison,

I am very sorry that you were not been aware of the change in our company policy, the 7 day membership still offers very good value for money and we still welcome those with a highlife card but I can understand that you would be frustrated having traveled down to use the pool for the day. I do hope you will still consider visiting our other facilities in the future.

Kind regards