“Windy, but wonderful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of CairnGorm Mountain

CairnGorm Mountain
Ranked #8 of 43 things to do in Aviemore
More attraction details
Owner description: CairnGorm Mountain is a great place to visit at any time of year. Ride the UK's highest funicular to just below the summit of Cairn Gorm, enjoy a walk with a Ranger or on one of the self guided routes. In winter, enjoy great snowsports on 30km of pisted runs suitable for beginners to experts. Lunch at the UK's highest restaurant, shop for gifts or mountain essentials and depart with unforgettable memories of this unique place.
UK
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Windy, but wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Elder children had ski school at the top, I walked up in about 50 minutes and watched them, it is a hell of a place. Very crowded in the restaurant but we had packed lunch, went for little walks while they skied - if you know what you are doing in the hills in winter it is great. I recommend walking up to the end of the very top ski tow and then walking about 300m due east into Ciste Mhearad as this is where the outdoor schools teach people how to build snow-holes and some of there are very impressive and last for ages. Great place

• Polish first
Bracknell
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Train can be expensive but lovely at the top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went with my children, aged 9 and 3. My husband and 9 year old went snowboarding while I amused my son at the top. The train up was pretty pricey - especially for snowsporters and the pricing was confusing. However, at the top I had no trouble amusing my 3 year old while the others were on the slopes. The restaurant was reasonably priced and it also had an exhibitiion with interactive things - my son liked the pretend train you could sit in and press buttons. It also had an enclosed viewing garden that the kids loved, which my son loved playing in the snow, it had great views of the mountains but with a large enough wall around that even I (who panics at any possible danger to the kids) felt safe watching. I thought I may come back earlier leaving my husband and 9 year old but as it was we all just about managed to get the last train down.

Visited December 2011
London, UK
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Learned to ski!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I attended the ski school for a 2 day beginner course which I had booked with the ski school. I recommend 3 days if it is your first time skiing.
The staff in both the school and the ski hire are friendly and efficient.
The quality of the hire equipment were very good.
The instructors are supportive and the tuition is very good.
I went during half term break which meant the place was busy but it did not feel too crowded.
The weather and visibility were pretty bad so I cannot comment on the views, but the snow was excellent. Make sure you wear thermals, waterproofs, goggles, hat.... yes the full works.... even if you think you can handle the cold!
There is a shop that sells bits and pieces such as goggles, hats, neck tubes, but not ski clothes/equipment. Prices were reasonable.

There are 2 restaurants (one at the top and the other at the bottom) but they became full very quickly during lunch, so try to have lunch before 12 noon or after 2 pm.
There are no lockers which is a bit disappointing.

There is a bus from Aviemore that comes to the mountain, but it is one bus every hour.

Top Tip: I bought my thermals, gloves, ski trousers, ski hat, goggles and ski jacket from the camping/skiing section from 'Sports World'. They were breatheable, waterproof, performed very well, and the whole lot costed me about £90 which is a lot cheaper than many ski shops.

I look forward to the next time I return here to ski, but I think I will need more lessons:-)

1 Thank Sam_19London_UK
Kirriemuir
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

excellent sightseeing for all. bring your camera on a clear day

Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Superb attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Excellent attraction, fantastic restaurant on top. Not to be missed!