“Classic Country House Hotel”
Review of Forss House Hotel

Forss House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Thurso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Just returned from an excellent stay at Forss House. Excellent service, amazing food and a lovely room with the most enormous cosy bathroom. We stayed in the main part of the hotel which was very peaceful. It is quite a traditional hotel so if you like flashy hotel finishes then this isn't the hotel for you. Forss is in an excellent location for exploring Caithness or as a stop for the NC500.

Room Tip: Our room was one of the more expensive rooms in the main hotel. There is a short walk outside to the...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I was really looking forward to staying at Forss House, as whilst Lenny Henry's idea of good accommodation is a Premier Inn it only suffices when you are on an overnight stay during a business trip.
I received a warm welcome from the infamous Anne and directed to my room which was spotless so I was off to a good start. I then took a walk by the river however as the area had been subjected to an above average rainfall the path was very boggy - still that was not the fault of the hotel.
On returning to the hotel I dropped into the bar where I was met by one of the largest selection of malt whiskies. Once my choice was made Anne poured me a large double but into a Wine Glass ! - most unusual as normally a dram is poured into a whisky tumbler - still the taste was not affected.
I then ordered my evening meal which overall was well prepared and presented - however portion size was frankly unacceptably small in relation to the charge applied. Fortunately I had not had a particularly strenuous day and was not looking for a filling meal - had I had such I would have been very hungry come breakfast.
Interestingly the following morning I visited Castle of Mey and whilst speaking to a member of staff they enquired as to where I was staying - on advising Forss House the response was " you best have a hearty lunch here as portions at Forss are renowned to be small" - seems its reputation is known to the locals - I supplemented my second evening meal by ordering Forss Chips on the side. Conclusion - comfortable hotel but very over priced in the Restaurant. Doubtful if I will return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank 4wheelman
Forss, Manager at Forss House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay at Forss House and I am sorry that you felt the portion sizes at dinner were smaller than you would have liked. We do try to make sure that over a 3 course meal you finish satisfied and not over full but, like all restaurants we accept appetites do differ. I am sorry you did not feel satisfied with the portion size and we will continue to keep an eye on this.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

So we had a mixed time here. Interestingly we couldn't sympathize with come of the criticisms provided below. We found the beds comfortable and the staff. Eye friendly (breakfast was another matter - see below). The bed was comfortable and we were mercifully spared the mandatory quilt (sheets and blankets for us every day, though I see why hotels like quilts). The dinner was brilliant and again, contrary to some reviews, we found serving sizes okay and prices reasonable. It's a proper dining experience which may be what throws some guests off.
The downsides were the walk - our tip is that if you're going to walk to the Mill and Chapel by the beach (you should), only use the eastern path. The path on the west side of the creek is a quagmire. Very unpleasant.
The second was the heat in the room. It was unbelievable. Even with the window wide open and blinds open and outside temps overnight of 13 deg we couldn't get the temps to a tolerable level. No sleep. Hopefully that will be fixed.
Lastly and disappointingly was breakfast. I was excited after the dinner but breakfast was a bit of a joke. The staff member visited once, promised fresh croissants and then disappeared. Despite there being only one other table in use we never saw her again. In the end I intercepted her and she appeared to have forgotten we were there. Wife had already left and as is waited over half an hour with only two pieces of cold toast, I also left. Only redeeming issues was that we didn't pay for brekky (though it was included in the rate so arguably we did).
So the positives are that the important things were there in spades - dinner excellent, comfortable room, friendly evening staff, great atmosphere, beautiful gardens. The negatives are all fixable - heating, signage and perhaps counseling morning staff about customer service. I'd stay here again...probably.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write about your stay at Forss House. I’m glad so much was right but apologetic that we got breakfast so wrong. I’ve discussed your experience with the team; I can assure you it’s not the norm and we have taken some steps to rectify the problems you faced. The too hot bedroom is difficult, once it’s warm the house is reluctant to cool down but we will look at to see how we can improve things in your bedroom.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Good quality hotel in the British house hotel tradition with large rooms and bathrooms. The wind sheltered garden deserve a short discovery and dinner was of good quality. We stayed for one night en route to Orkney.

Room Tip: Take the short stroll to a cute waterfall on the grounds.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I only really booked this because there was not much else in the area and we need to overnight before the ferry to Orkney. It was a really pleasant surprise. We received a friendly welcome and the room, whilst not in the main house, was huge.
The dinner in the restaurant was really good - the small portion beautifully presented type of meal - but that was fine because it also included a plate of chips. They catered well for gluten free.
The next morning we had an hour to kill so walked around the grounds. This was well worth it, with river, woods and an impressive waterfall. It would be a pity to just get back in the car and drive on without looking around.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Visited for diner. Welcomed by the very nice lady in the whisky bar. The hole experience was very good. The food was excellent, the young waitresses did a perfect job being knowledgable about the dishes without being pretentious. Highly recomended

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Lovely room in the Riverside Cottage next to the hotel. Clean, spacious and comfortable. The meal served in the restaurant was excellent although a little expensive and portion size was small. Breakfast however was very good. Only stayed one night but would stay again. Lovely walks along the river and could watch the salmon jumping.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurso
16.2 km away
8.4 km away
Park Hotel
Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Thurso

Been to Forss House Hotel? Share your experiences!