New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Inverness
Lancashire
“Lovely hotel with very relaxed ambience & excellent facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The hotel is ideally situated only a short distance from the A9, without having to travel through the City Centre traffic. The facilities at the hotel are excellent and the garden room was very spacious and ideal for anyone travelling with a four legged companion as there were patio doors opening right on to the garden area. The stay was excellent value for money, with the total bill, including a 2 course meal and bottle of wine less than £145.00 for the night. The food was of good quality, well presented and again represented excellent value for money. The dining experience was very relaxing, with a lovely ambience from the background music of the live pianist playing in the bar area. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and I am not very ease to please.

Room Tip: The garden room (No 40) was spacious, quiet and excellent for anyone travelling with a dog.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicki G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Greek first
Wick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Very welcoming friendly staff, comfortable spacious rooms very quiet too. Enjoyed the leisure club, the pool is too small for much of a swin but was refreshing for a dip after I'd used the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.We had a very good dinner the duck was particularly good, very tender. We'll definitely stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was glad to here you had a great stay at Kingsmills. The Leisure Club is the perfect place to relax and our a la carte menu dishes do receive lots of positive comments. Chef does source a lot of local ingredients and has a very skilled team.

Thanks again, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed in the new kingsclub part of the hotel and the room was very nice. Decor was relaxing and the room was very clean and tidy. Also had dinner in the hotel and the food was very tasty.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am delighted you had a relaxing and fantastic stay in our Kingsclub. I am glad you appreciated the modern and contemporary decore. I am also glad that you enjoyed the a la carte restaurant and the quality food.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills.

Stirling, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed here on a business trip and we had a private dining room at no extra charge which was a lovely touch. the rooms were very comfortable, clean and had everything you might need. Staff were very friendly. The food was generally good, although a few of us found our steaks well done in parts, and rare in others. I had breakfast in my room and that arrived promptly and was hot and well presented. Good car parking.
No time to try out the pool etc. Internet access is chargeable.

Room Tip: This is my second stay at the Kingsmills. My first time I was upgraded to a luxury room which was HU...
Dear Guest,

Thank you completing a guest review. I am glad you enjoyed your last stay and found the hotel to have "personality". We do now do a lot of private dining for all sorts of occasions and like yourself we do receive many positive comments regarding the food quality and the great service.

Thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Having been invited to stay for dinner after a business meeting, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The restaurant is clean and tidy and the staff ( all be it, not one from the UK ! ) very attentive. The food was most disappointing. When my starter of Thia prawns appeared I was confronted with four little prawns,heads on, in a sauce with some lettuce. All for the sum of £8.95. The main course of Duck was again disappointing being served with a sticky rice on the side. Again, all for the sum of £18.50. The couple at an adjacent table sat throughout their meal using a laptop which was placed on their table. A few football shirted gents sat at another. If they are paying good money to stay there then its up to them what they want to wear - its just it made the eating experience a little like being in McDonald's.

1 Thank Brian C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I can not recommend the Kingsmill Hotel enough, beautiful inside and out, rooms are lovely and spotlessly clean. The staff are also fantastic - friendly, chatty and helpful. I love staying at this hotel and always have a great room, have stayed a few times in different rooms and they're all fantastic. Would stay here any time!

I wouldn't however recommend that any one choose to dine in the restaurant. The restaurant itself is lovely and comfortable and the waitresses so lovely, the food unfortunately was no where near the standard I would expect of a 4 star hotel. The starter I had was totally average but edible, my main on the other hand, I couldn't even eat. I ordered the trio of fish and what I got was three overcooked, tasteless, grey lumps of fish with some melted butter. Coming from an island I am used to eating and cooking with fresh fish and wouldn't be surprised to find out what I got in the Inglis restaurant came from the bottom of the freezer. I told the waitress and she said she'd tell the chef but nothing was done about it and the dish still appeared on our bill. I did have a pudding though and the sticky toffee pudding was lovely, I'm not sure if it's a different chef or if the chef is just better at desserts!

BUT I would return to the Kingmills, it is still my hotel of choice in Inverness and would happily stay any time, next time I'll be going in town for my dinner though!

3 Thank Fir12345
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel very comfortable and you were looked after very well by our associates. I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your main course in our restaurant. I will be discussing this with our Chef today as a matter of urgency as this is totally out of character. I personally did the tasting of the trio of fish before it was put on the a la carte menu and the dish was beautiful, fresh and very clean flavors. The chef buys in fish fresh five times a week and I can assure you the dish you ordered did not come from the freezer. Our fish comes from different local suppliers including Cromarty, Skye and Hopeman. I accept that the cooking of your main course must have been overcooked and I apologise for this. I would appreciate it if you would make contact with me personally before your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills hotel.

edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed for three nights b&b. Agree with previous review, reception staff friendly but room and bathroom desperately needs refurbed.

Room Tip: upgrade to club room or stay away!
2 Thank gordon12
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after by our team of highly motivated associates. Our standard rooms of which there are 20 out of 114 rooms in total at Kingsmills. These rooms are due to be fully refurbished later this year. The rooms are comfortable with beds being replaced recently and they are very clean and fully serviced. However I do agree the decore does require up dating.

At Kingsmills we have five room types. The entry level is the "standard rooms" (garden rooms) then there are "classic rooms", then "deluxe rooms". In addition to this we have another two levels of room types within our Kingsclub; "cacoon rooms" and our top level rooms are "retreat rooms".

Thank you for your feedback. On your next stay, try one of our other room types.