“Ideal location”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 15 March 2012

With five friends we recently stayed the night at the Kingsmills, the staff were very friendly.Unfortunately one room had no shower head, which could not be replaced and the best suggestion was to use the shower in the pool area ! Not ideal to say the least. Our own twin room was spacious however the shower was distinctly grubby and anyone larger than a size 14 would not have managed to enter said shower - very odd sliding doors offering a very small gap in which to enter/exit. Beds were old but an attempt had been made to refurb them with mattress toppers which served to make them not only soft and saggy but also unbearably hot.Public areas were lovely. Drinks very overpriced -£8 for two bottles of water and £25 for a bottle of
house red ! Close to the city centre and lots of fantastic places to eat and drink.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fab4ty
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I was glad to hear you had a good stay overall and found our associates very friendly. I apologise your shower head broke over the weekend and we were not able to replace until Monday. The standard rooms are due to be fully refurbished at the end of this year. The rooms are very clean and tidy and are serviced fully daily, however do so some signs of wear. All of our rooms do have mattress toppers which do provide a sightly softer however very comfortable sleep package, we do lots of compliments regarding these. Apologies that you expectations were not delivered on this visit. I would hope that you would come back to Kingsmills hotel in the future. Please let me do if you do.

Craig Ewan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,849)

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The hotel is ideally situated only a short distance from the A9, without having to travel through the City Centre traffic. The facilities at the hotel are excellent and the garden room was very spacious and ideal for anyone travelling with a four legged companion as there were patio doors opening right on to the garden area. The stay was excellent value for money, with the total bill, including a 2 course meal and bottle of wine less than £145.00 for the night. The food was of good quality, well presented and again represented excellent value for money. The dining experience was very relaxing, with a lovely ambience from the background music of the live pianist playing in the bar area. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and I am not very ease to please.

Room Tip: The garden room (No 40) was spacious, quiet and excellent for anyone travelling with a dog.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicki G
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Very welcoming friendly staff, comfortable spacious rooms very quiet too. Enjoyed the leisure club, the pool is too small for much of a swin but was refreshing for a dip after I'd used the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.We had a very good dinner the duck was particularly good, very tender. We'll definitely stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was glad to here you had a great stay at Kingsmills. The Leisure Club is the perfect place to relax and our a la carte menu dishes do receive lots of positive comments. Chef does source a lot of local ingredients and has a very skilled team.

Thanks again, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed in the new kingsclub part of the hotel and the room was very nice. Decor was relaxing and the room was very clean and tidy. Also had dinner in the hotel and the food was very tasty.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am delighted you had a relaxing and fantastic stay in our Kingsclub. I am glad you appreciated the modern and contemporary decore. I am also glad that you enjoyed the a la carte restaurant and the quality food.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed here on a business trip and we had a private dining room at no extra charge which was a lovely touch. the rooms were very comfortable, clean and had everything you might need. Staff were very friendly. The food was generally good, although a few of us found our steaks well done in parts, and rare in others. I had breakfast in my room and that arrived promptly and was hot and well presented. Good car parking.
No time to try out the pool etc. Internet access is chargeable.

Room Tip: This is my second stay at the Kingsmills. My first time I was upgraded to a luxury room which was HU...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you completing a guest review. I am glad you enjoyed your last stay and found the hotel to have "personality". We do now do a lot of private dining for all sorts of occasions and like yourself we do receive many positive comments regarding the food quality and the great service.

Thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Having been invited to stay for dinner after a business meeting, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The restaurant is clean and tidy and the staff ( all be it, not one from the UK ! ) very attentive. The food was most disappointing. When my starter of Thia prawns appeared I was confronted with four little prawns,heads on, in a sauce with some lettuce. All for the sum of £8.95. The main course of Duck was again disappointing being served with a sticky rice on the side. Again, all for the sum of £18.50. The couple at an adjacent table sat throughout their meal using a laptop which was placed on their table. A few football shirted gents sat at another. If they are paying good money to stay there then its up to them what they want to wear - its just it made the eating experience a little like being in McDonald's.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I can not recommend the Kingsmill Hotel enough, beautiful inside and out, rooms are lovely and spotlessly clean. The staff are also fantastic - friendly, chatty and helpful. I love staying at this hotel and always have a great room, have stayed a few times in different rooms and they're all fantastic. Would stay here any time!

I wouldn't however recommend that any one choose to dine in the restaurant. The restaurant itself is lovely and comfortable and the waitresses so lovely, the food unfortunately was no where near the standard I would expect of a 4 star hotel. The starter I had was totally average but edible, my main on the other hand, I couldn't even eat. I ordered the trio of fish and what I got was three overcooked, tasteless, grey lumps of fish with some melted butter. Coming from an island I am used to eating and cooking with fresh fish and wouldn't be surprised to find out what I got in the Inglis restaurant came from the bottom of the freezer. I told the waitress and she said she'd tell the chef but nothing was done about it and the dish still appeared on our bill. I did have a pudding though and the sticky toffee pudding was lovely, I'm not sure if it's a different chef or if the chef is just better at desserts!

BUT I would return to the Kingmills, it is still my hotel of choice in Inverness and would happily stay any time, next time I'll be going in town for my dinner though!

3  Thank Fir12345
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel very comfortable and you were looked after very well by our associates. I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your main course in our restaurant. I will be discussing this with our Chef today as a matter of urgency as this is totally out of character. I personally did the tasting of the trio of fish before it was put on the a la carte menu and the dish was beautiful, fresh and very clean flavors. The chef buys in fish fresh five times a week and I can assure you the dish you ordered did not come from the freezer. Our fish comes from different local suppliers including Cromarty, Skye and Hopeman. I accept that the cooking of your main course must have been overcooked and I apologise for this. I would appreciate it if you would make contact with me personally before your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills hotel.