“Excellent, friendly bijou top class hotel.”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is a wonderful little hotel for a long or short visit to wonder that is 'Scotland'. We were en-route to Inverness from Devon; e-mail efficiency came in very useful as we were at the mercy of public transport and a very helpful lady called 'Victoria' was responding to all communications en-route. We had a very friendly scottish welcome. Cases were taken off us immediately and we were offered hot food instead of sandwiches which they had already kindly prepared for our late arrival. Nothing was too much trouble for our 3-night stay. Staff were attentive and interested without being over-powering. We stayed in a 'hip room' which was adequate for all our needs. One needs not to be shy though as the bathroom only has frosted glass between the rooms. Great double shower though and real bath you can sink into. Lovely after a good walk. The rooms also appeared to be very well sound-proofed. The food in the restaurant is very good. I can definately recommend the chicken caeser salad. The hotel is also positioned nicely away from the town centre, albeit a short walk away. I would definately visit again. Just one very minor criticism to Mr Roux - I think for what the room costs per night, it is a wee bit mean not to provide an I-pod docking station. Apparently these are only available in the more expensive 'decadent' rooms. Never-the-less we loved this place.

Room Tip: It appears their best rooms have jacuzzi's. Might be worth the expense if you fancy a real treat...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rach075
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review from having recently stayed with us.
It was a pleasure to read that you had enjoyed your time with us and it was most certainly a pleasure to host you.
I will make sure and pass on your kind words to Victoria and all staff, as they take great pride in making sure our guests every need is met.
We will certainly take on board your comments with regards to the I-pod docking station.
I certainly hope that we have the pleasure of meeting again.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Went to Chez Roux for a family celebration, and whilst there wasn't anything wrong (their cheese souffle stood out as being the star of the show), some members of our party felt that they had better mains before. A waitress sneezed worrying close to my steak as she was carrying it too, but I was too hungry to send it back! The original Rocpool restaurant in town edges Chez Roux out on the food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review from your recent visit with us.

It is with regret to learn that your previous visits have been more enjoyable. With regards to service a complimentary replacement dish most definitely should have been offered immediately.

We take feed back such as this very seriously and your comments have certainly been taken on board and will be used to ensure all future guests receive a flawless service of which we aim for on a daily basis.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and if you would like to contact myself for any future reservations I will do my upmost to improve your experience at Rocpool Reserve.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed at Rocpool midweek in April to celebrate my Mum's 60th birthday, and also my birthday - we had been upgraded to a Chic room, due to problems with the voucher we were using for our stay, and it was more than lovely! Large and spacious, although quite dark, due to it's location on the lower ground floor. Comfortable beds, complimentary mineral water and the fancy coffee maker were all appreciated! The bathroom was fantastic as well, with a huge bath / monsoon shower, and Molten Brown goodies. The hotel decor is very modern and indeed did remind me of Cameron House, where we have stayed before, albeit on a much smaller scale. One issue I did encounter was that the WiFi was really hit or miss, not sure if that was just due to our lower ground floor location, but after speaking to reception a couple of times to solve the problem, only for it to happen again, I gave up!!

We dined in the bar that evening on the 'Roux Express' menu - lovely to have a little taste of lots of different things, although I did find my dessert was a bit cold by the time I had got to it (all 4 courses are served at the same time on a 'tasting platter' style dish) The food was delicious though. And the same can be said for breakfast the next morning, to say we were spolied for choice was an understatement!! Fantastic and attentive service at both dinner & breakfast all added to the experience. All the staff we dealt with were very efficient and friendly in fact, although it was sometimes hard to get hold of someone in the Reception area, as there's not really an official 'desk' as such.

Overall, we felt that we experienced a really indulgent break, and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It is expensive though (having seen the normal rack rates) so perhaps more somewhere you'd go for a special treat?! We felt that we got amazing value for money however, using our voucher, and would definitely reccomend the hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing and decadent weekend away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review from your recent visit with us.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the amenities within our guest rooms and happy to read that you had enjoyed your visit with us.

I have noted your comments with regards to the Wifi and will have this looked into, as we have Wifi installed throughout the hotel this should not have been an issue for you.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Don't be fooled by the marketing spin around this 'hotel'. It's an upmarket B&B trying to play in the same league as Gleneagles and Cameron House - it competes comfortably on price, but sadly nothing else. If, for whatever reason, you end up paying more than £150-£200 per night (even for the 'extra decadent rooms' - we had one) then I suspect you will feel less than value for money. Front of house service was average both on arrival and departure, no air con in rooms (even in April this was an issue - can't imagine what they must be like on a warm night) and a docking station that wouldn't work with an iPhone 4S. Breakfast was good, but again service not up to the standards that their pricing warrants. Didn't try the restaurant so can't comment - went to the Mustard Seed in town - very good indeed. Overall, it's a 6 out of 10. If you want to pitch yourself against the best, then make sure you have the proposition to match.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Loisbear
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I would like to confirm that we do not compete with larger resort hotels such as Gleneagles and Cameron house, as we are a smaller establishment we pride ourselves on the service which we offer, as we have the ability of providing a more intimidate and attentive environment for our guests and our staff thrive to reach their goals at achieving this.

Myself and the team at Rocpool Reserve would have been delighted to have had the opportunity to further assist you during your stay with us, and I do hope that should we have the honour of welcoming you back you will be able to take advantage of this.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my second visit to the Rocpool & it was again fantastic. The room was amazing, huge downstairs bathroom/shower area, just loved it & the bed is huge & comfortable, the overall room was spotless. The staff were all so lovely, so attentive & friendly without getting in the way. I loved the 'express' menu for lunch, a wee taste of everything, just enough. Will be back again to this hotel later in year, it is perfect for a visit to Inverness, great location & central - thanks again :-)

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We raved so much about our first trip here, great service, rooms and food, that my parents bought us a dinner bed an breakfast voucher for christmas. Wonderful, not cheap, particularly given my parents circumstances. We had a decadent room, but for the dates we wanted to book they only had a ... well whatever the room down is because they were fully booked. We have limited opportunities to get away so when we asked if they could say, put the difference towards a bottle of wine, no joy. So it would have been a great waste of money.

My wife decided we're better off going later (a month later as it happens) when we can use the room we got (bearing in mind the voucher has a very limited life span). So we changed our plans and when in February.

The place itself, well I would continue to say great things about it. Lovely rooms, service, food and drinks.

Just a pity about the voucher system where you pay upfront for something you might not get!

Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Greg2003

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us.

We are pleased to read that you were happy with the Service, Food and Drinks which we provide at Rocpool Reserve.

It is unfortunate that we were not able to accommodate you on the original dates you had requested. As the voucher offer was very popular it would not have been possible to guarantee availability for every night. Though I am delighted you were able to visit us in February and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

this is a lovely hotel with great service. The staff are very pleasant and attentive. The rooms are well maintained and spotlessly clean. The service was fantastic as was the food. The location is good for the town centre around a five minute walk to there, the castle and the river.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and we are delighted you were able to enjoy the service, accommodation, and our location.

We hope to see you back in the future.