“Gorgeous Hotel but service doesnt match” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
scotland
“Gorgeous Hotel but service doesnt match”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went to this hotel for our silver wedding anniversary celebrations and the manager couldnt have done more to help up with our stay. We were upgraded to a lovely room however unfortunately the first room had no hot water, but the manager moved us to another lovely room and we were happy.
The first night we noticed a few silly issues with the room so informed reception and the manager, the plug in the bath had no chain so we were unable to take it out, the bedside lamp didnt work and also the bath had pubic hair in and the sides in of the bath still had grime on so I had to clean it before we could use it? We thought these were minor issues and the manager assured us they would be dealt with immediately. However after 3 nights we left and these were still not fixed which we felt was rather a let down on a 4/5 star hotel.
The chef is definatley 5 star and did amazing art with our dessert on the first night and the food was fantastic, personally I think he is wasted in this hotel.
We found the staff customer service erratic, the waitresses had chipped nail polish, and were not all very professional in their behaviour. The receptionist on our last evening was fantastic and passed our comments to the manager.
The spa was a bit of let down as the outdoor hot tub was dirty and the water very cloudy so we werent happy about being in it. We have been in many tubs and the water shouldnt be like this. The pool was full of children which was not very relaxing so we wouldnt recommend this for a relaxing stay.
Overall we did enjoy our stay, lovely surroundings and the hotel was stunning but the staff let the hotel down.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wendyb69
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay. I am disappointed that there were shortfalls from the service side which resulted in your dis-satisfaction and for this, I sincerely apologise. I am however surprised at your comments surrounding my waiting team who normally receive nothing but praise for both their excellent service and professionalism. However, I will personally monitor this and ensure standards are consistent for each and every one of our guests. I am delighted however that you found the food to be of a high standard and my kitchen team are grateful for your comments.
With regards to the leisure area, we are a family friendly hotel, and we need to ensure the needs of all of our guests and members are met at all times. We do however have an adults only timeslot available 3 evenings per week. Our leisure team follow rigorous cleaning schedules, and this includes the cleaning of the pool and hot tub and again your comment stating that the hot tub was dirty surprised me. I have passed your comments on to my Leisure Manager and I will monitor this closely to ensure the cleaning schedules are being followed.
I do hope that should you return to the area that you may consider staying with us again.

Kind Regards
Iain Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Dundee, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I went for a short break and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.We enjoyed the 6 course meal (starts with canopies and taster) which ended with coffee in the lounge.

The room was quite large compared to other hotels we have stayed in and their was a bath and shower, bliss!!

Although the hotel was quite full the staff were very pleasant especially the girl at breakfast time where nothing was too much trouble.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

The golf veiw hotel was the venue for my sisters wedding. I stayed there for 3 nights and was the best hotel i have stayed in! A beautiful building leading out onto a sandy beach and a lovely sea veiw, great for a keen photographer. The staff were very friendly and went beyond the basic duties for the wedding with extras taylored to my sisters ideal day. I was very impressed with the manager who over saw the whole day and the days leading up to it.
Food was amazing with a lovely bar atmosphere and lovely spa facilities. My room was excellent too, very clean and beautiful veiws. I would love to go and stay again and would recommend the hotel as a wedding venue or romantic break to any one.

Room Tip: ask for a sea veiw room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay to celebrate your sister's wedding. I am delighted we appear to have met and indeed exceeded your expectations and that your sister's big day was such a great success. Your family were an absolute pleasure to look after, and my team and I had great fun making sure everything was perfect. The Golf View is an ideal wedding venue, with stunning views, ample grounds, not to mention exceptional service, and we look forward to hosting many more throughout the course of this year and next. We all look forward to welcoming you back, and again thank you for your kind comments.

Kind Regards
Iain Fraser
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

recently spent two night spa break at the Golf view hotel & spa had stayed there last year also for a two night break but not a spa one. The hotel staff couldnt have been any more pleasant & helpful nothing was a bother and everyone seemed to have a smile. The food was as usual absolutely wonderful with a great choice we ate in the restaurant on the first night and the conservatory on our second night everything that was recommended by the staff was lovely. Compliments to the chef & his brigade. Thanks to Annie? the therapist for a lovely couple of relaxing hours of treatment she was really lovely & very professional. Thanks to all for a great stay we will definately recommend the hotel to other people.

1 Thank thomo59
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My wife and I are just back from a 3 night luxury pamper break at the Golf View Hotel & Spa for my birthday. Our rate included dinner, bed and breakfast and a selection of treatments in the Sonas Spa.

Our room (48) was clean, spacious and had magnificent views of the beach and over to the black isle. I did request a seaview room at the time of booking so was exceptionally pleased to be given this on arrival. The hotel is situtated in a beautiful location and the walk along the beach to the harbour is a must.

Both my wife and I really enjoyed the treatments in the spa. Over 2 days our treatments consisted of a 1 hour full body massage each, a 1 hour facial each and a half our reflexology for her and a half hour head massage for me. The two spa therapists are really helpful and friendly and make you feel at ease. Both my wife and I think the therapy rooms are probably the nicest we have ever been in, all decorated tastefully and very relaxing. The heated swimming pool, jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub are also a nice way to unwind from hetctic lifestyles.

Over our 3 night break we dinned each night in the Fairways resturant. Our DBB rate was inclusive of the 7 course taster menu. All dishes we had over the 3 nights were all cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. My only criticism is the main courses and exceptionally small so if you are a big eater you might want to consider ordering something from the al a carte menu for a small supplement. Our favoutie dish was the venison - beautiful! Only wished there was more of it!

Breakast each morning was also very good and a great selection to choose from. The eggs benedict and eggs florentine were excellent. All the staff in the resturant are young and very friendly indeed but the service can be very inconsistient. We often found ourselves reminding staff of things we had requested which had been forgotten. We also got the impression that none of the staff had clear defined roles and there was a slight lack of leadership. Service during peak times did appear a bit caotic.

I would however state that it was great to stay somewhere that did represent good value for money. Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes I would and I would also recommend it to others? Yes. I may return sometime soon or even try one of the other Crerar Hotels in Scotland.

Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview on the top floor - you wont be dissapointed.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I booked the Golf View Hotel & Spa as a Mothers Day present. Myself & my mum stayed on the Saturday Night and arrived just before check in time. We spent the whole afternoon in the Pool & Jaccuzzi and didn't want to leave & the outdoor Hot tub looking onto the crashing waves was breathtaking.
We then later took a walk along the beach which is a few steps from the hotel. We dinned in the Concervatory and had a 3 course meal each and shared a bottle of wine which for the quality of service & food we received was well worth the price and of very high standard. The staff were always available and making sure everything was perfect throughout our stay. When we were due to check out the Receptionist very kindly held onto our luggage while we enjoyed another strole along the beach to take in the stunning views for the last time :D

Although since we've arrived home we are now booking up for my Grandparents wedding anniversary and will be taking the whole family so everyone can experience what we did for themselves. I honestly found it hard to explain how amazing it was and when people asked i simply said " you just have to book and see for yourself,words cannot describe the place and the location it's in" the most beautiful part of Scotland i have seen to date!!

Thank you so much for making my mums Mothers Day the most memorable day she has ever had :D xx

See you all soon

Room Tip: We stayed in room 55. from the outside view of the building it's the top left room. AMAZING!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Lovely big room with nice bathroom.
Beautician in the spa (Fran?) was delightful and went out of her way to give us appointments, manicures and massages were great.
Service in the restaurant was a little strange- manageress seemed to do a lot of walking around, but without much effect.
Food was ok- but main course (venison and potato rosti) was so salty that we couldnt eat it.
Overall, I would visit this hotel again though as the deal we got was very good value.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monkeyless
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
34.4 km away
Kingsmills Hotel
Kingsmills Hotel
#7 of 34 in Inverness
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,606 reviews

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!