“Johnstons cafe ”

Ranked #1 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Elgin
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I often go to Johnston's cafe as the staff are incredibly friendly and it's a nice atmosphere. Usually opt for latte and cake and always thoroughly enjoy it. Its always lovely to have a ponder round the shops afterwards aswell.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 3, 2018

Disappointing visit mid-afternoon on a day when it was not that busy.
The main problem seems to be poor management in the café not the fault of individual staff. Whole experience was one of chaos and staff not knowing their role/job, from seating to serving. One dish arrived 30 minutes before coffees and the other dish for my partner. Staff were uncertain how to operate till.
Could not believe such incompetence.
ps And the scones were dry and overcooked!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 28, 2018

I have been coming here for years and it is not nearly as good as it was, mainly the service has slipped. I arrived just before mid day and the restaurant was half full. I waited at the sign that said, Wait here to be seated. This was in full view of the restaurant. I waited and waited. The same two waitresses passed several times , glanced up and ignored me. A couple joined the queue behind me and still we were ignored. I turned and asked the couple, ' Do you think we should stand at the entrance?' They agreed and we all by passed the sign moved forward. A passing waitress then said, Oh, just sit anywhere, there's plenty of tables. What is the purpose of the sign to wait??? I asked for a coffee and club sandwich. Coffee was nearly finished and almost cold by the time the sandwich came. On paying, the waitress did ask, Everything ok? I replied it wasn't because of the service. Her reply? 'Well, we are very busy', which they certainly were not when I arrived. I bypassed the restaurant on my journey home. Pity, as we used to love going there and the shop staff continue to be friendly and welcoming. Johnston's is badly let down by the staff in the restaurant. A welcoming smile would have made all the difference.

2  Thank Willowrowan
Reviewed October 27, 2018

Quality of food and service does not match the rest of the experience. Will go elsewhere in Elgin next time.

1  Thank 2d0d0
Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

Our first visit and certainly won t be our last. Had a friend visiting from Glasgow and had a leisurely look around shop then had soup and baguette in the cafe. Was served by a charming young man who I believe was called Colin he recommended the soup which was delicious. Overall a lovely visit....