St. Columba Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Iona
See available hotels
  • Beachfront
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
Scarinish Hotel(Isle of Tiree)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Caolas Farm House(Isle of Coll)
Excellent 5/5
    The Colonsay(Isle of Colonsay)
    • Breakfast included
    Tiree Lodge Hotel(Isle of Tiree)
    Good 3.5/5
    Highland Cottage(Tobermory)
    Very Good 4/5
    • Restaurant
    All reviewscomfortable hotelquiet gardenorganic gardenopen firelangoustineslovely lunchporridgeiona abbeyday tripsconesloungeislandviewspilgrimageferryseaflowers
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 8 August 2011

After working on the Isle of Iona twice, I finally got to be a guest myself at the St. Columba Hotel and it was the best hotel of our trip. The rooms were great (the updated bathroom was especially nice!) and the food was absolutely amazing. We were told that the chef was on holiday that week, but you would never know it. David Galloway kept us completely stuffed with amazing seafood and the best banofee pie I've ever tasted. There are not too many hotel options on Iona, but the St. Columba certainly doesn't take their guests for granted. It was a remarkable stay.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
    1  Thank stacy9558
    Reviewed 8 August 2011

Someone else's quote-- Kenneth Clarke (Lord), who really gave such a succinct account of how he felt everytime he visited Iona. How thoroughly apt. My feelings exactly and no more. That's why I felt I needed to make another visit, albeit that some forty years had passed since my first trip! Nothing has changed. Iona does offer you that inner peace, contentment, and a time for inner reflection. If you need to really get away from it all and you need ''time out'' then there is nowhere else quite like Iona. The hotel offers good accommodation with good facilities. The rooms are kept clean and all have en suites.Restaurant offers a varied menu and wine list at very reasonable rates. You will find the hotel is sited overlooking the Sound of Iona, with spectacular views. Enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
    2  Thank nosrednaNuneaton
    Reviewed 28 July 2011

I really enjoyed my trip to Iona. The service and food at the St Columba was wonderful and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It is a great place to RELAX as there is a quiet space in the sunroom facility that has excellent views- no mobile telephones going off and no TV. Can use the computers if needed.
    Clean and fairly comfortable rooms but my bed wasn't very comfortable and the rooms are on the small size.

Would go back though in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 18 July 2011

A friend and I stayed in the St. Columba Hotel for three nights in mid-May. We booked in October, and received a confirmation letter with many useful details. The welcome and orientation were first rate, and we appreciated the transport of our bags to and from the ferry.

We experienced slow service at dinner the first night, and the desk clerk explained that we could improve service by shifting our dining time, which worked beautifully. We enjoyed the food, although the bread basket was whisked away one night before I got a second piece. A box lunch I ordered for a scheduled boat trip was ready on time and quite delicious.

The computers were serviceable, although only one machine had an accessible USB port for uploading photos via my card reader. We had laundry done and it was returned to us when promised.

To accommodate my request for a ground-level room, we were placed at the back of the hotel. I didn't expect a water view but was surprised to see assorted rubbish and hardware strewn about. There was cracked glass in the door at the end of the hall. These flaws were outweighed by the location, the sunny, book-filled, lounge, and attentive service. I would certainly stay at the St. Columba Hotel again.

Room Tip: Book early. Rooms near the stairs are noisy. If you don't mind stairs, you may get a better view.
    • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 24 May 2011

There was a really nice welcome when we arrived. Dot spent a lot of time showing us round the hotel and offering assistance with our bags. The room was extremely clean and the view over to Mull was awesome.
    Service at breakfast was not brilliant. We waited for approximately 20 minutes to give our order although when it arrived, it was very tasty. When I explained this to reception on checking out, it was explained to me that the hotel had been very busy that morning with a group of Danish people.
    We also had dinner at the hotel during our stay. There were no issues with service on this occasion and the food was very good.
    When we checked out, the receptionist kindly offered to drive us down to the ferry with all of our bags. This was a very thoughtful gesture and made up for the service issues during breakfast.
    I would definitely stay again at this hotel and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple