2,288 results
All reviews thermal suite lovely hotel on arrival relaxation room douglas village cork city eggs benedict relaxing break changing rooms top class both mornings bar and restaurant leisure centre a lovely stay last weekend wedding reception food was lovely
Reviewed June 19, 2018

We had stayed in the hotel before and overall enjoyed our experience so decided to return here when we were travelling to cork to complete the cork marathon.
Upon check-in the girl at the reception desk told us that breakfast would be served from about 8am. We explained our situation, that we would need breakfast for 7am due to the early marathon start. The girl at the desk was very helpful and said it would be no problem, she would make note of it as we were not the only guests requiring an early breakfast.
The morning of the marathon we arrived to the breakfast area about 6.55, the waiter we spoke to knew nothing of the early arrangement and was actually quite dissmisive of us. we presumed the message had just never been passed on from reception. We went to reception were a staff member said he was indeed aware of the arrangement and escorted us to the breakfast area were we were seated. We were then told breakfast was limited and he listed fruit and weetabix as our only option. We were brought cold weetabix( no options given i.e. heated, low fat milk etc) and one apple to share.
It resulted in two very hungry marathon runners and we were badly impacted upon during the race.
I feel that the limited breakfast should have been made very clear upon check in so we could make alternative arrangements instead of informing us that breakfast would be fully available.
We made our grievances clear upon checkout, all we received was a very curt, short, insincere apology, we were still charged breakfast for that morning despite eating very little and expressing our unhappiness.
Even though I have had enjoyable stays here before, I will not return. My very first marathon experience was stressful and unenjoyable, and i feel a lot of it was caused by the hotel not catering to our needs appropriately. Should they have felt they could not cater for us, staff should have informed us of this upon check-in

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CG86_dublin
themaryborough, Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2018

Good afternoon,

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you were not happy with your stay with us.

We try to cater to customers needs wherever possible, and am disappointed to hear that for you, you did not feel it was managed correctly. I will raise your feedback with the relevant managers regarding your concerns and ensure this does not happen to other customers that may be participating in a similar event.

Should you decide to stay with us again, please let us know in advance of booking.

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a best friend's event many months in advance only to be contacted 3 hours prior to the event (on the day of the booking) to be told that I had no room. Naturally I expected that this was a booking error, when I enquired it was actually the case that a guest had requested extending their stay and so the hotel cancelled my appropriately placed booking on the day of the event as my booking looked like the most easily cancelled. When friends attached to the event asked hotel managers how this happened they apologised as they didn't know I was attached to the event. The hotel still doesn't seem to realise that cancelling a less important booking on the day of check in is a complete and utter disgrace, I have never experienced anything like this before, and would strongly advise against trusting a hotel with such a disgraceful practice.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
6  Thank Michael M
themaryborough, Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay with us.
It was an extremely busy weekend for us, and while that is not an excuse, I am aware that our Deputy General Manager, Shane, spoke to you about this and tried to resolve the issue in any way that he could.
We took the situation very seriously and we apologize that it has left you unsatisfied with our hotel.
Please let us know if you decide to stay with us again and we will provide you with a complimentary room upgrade.

Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

Wonderfully charming place. This was a highlight of our trip, we wish we had booked two nights so we could enjoy more of the well kept grounds. Our balcony was perfect, service was excellent. The bar tender gave us so many great tips about what to do in Kinsale that our next day went without a flaw.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ratpacdimmers
themaryborough, Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2018

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your 5* review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to greeting you here again.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

We stayed tow nights during our recent trip to Ireland. It was wonderful. Upon our arrival some of the staff was waiting of us on the steps. How cool is that? They just wanted to introduce us to he hotel, its amenities and such. I had booked a facial, and it was glorious. The setting of the treatment room was so beautiful and peaceful. After my facial I went to a relaxation room that overlooked a waterfall like setting. Also, the food was absolutely amazing, as well as the service. Great hotel!

Room Tip: Any room is perfect. The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. A wonderful hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ethnicspoon

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your 5* review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and took total advantage on all the facilities we have to offer.

I hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

We recently spent two nights in the Maryborough on a B&B rate.
All the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.The reception, bar and dining areas are very clean and elegant. The gardens were in full bloom and well maintained.
Unfortunately, we were quite disappointed with the overall accommodation.
Firstly, the main car park has only a small number of spaces. The overflow car park is rough with no markings, hence very chaotic parking and a long trek back to the main building, dragging suitcases through the gravel. Then there are a number of steep steps up to the reception area with no visible ramp. I note that this has been commented on previously and the response was to contact reception and they would be happy to find someone to help with luggage. This however is off little assistance to anyone with mobility issues. We joined a long queue for the one available lift to the bedrooms. There may be other lifts located somewhere else but we didn't see any signage. Our main disappointment however was with our bedroom. While I appreciate that a hotel will always choose its nicest, best appointed bedroom for marketing purposes, our room was a bit of a let down. On the plus side, bathrobes, slippers and ample toiletries were supplied. However, a number of very basic facilities were missing. There is no air conditioning in the room. The two nights we stayed were very humid. We opened the balcony doors but external noise and cigarette smoke wafting in from the lower decking areas soon forced us to close them again. We contacted reception and we were advised there was a fan in the wardrobe. After an extensive search, we concluded there was no fan and contacted reception again. The girl apologised and stated they had a lot of requests for fans over the weekend and someone must have borrowed it for another room. About an hour later, housekeeping arrived with a small fan. We then realised there was no accessible plug socket anywhere near the bed. We plugged the fan in at the closest point which was at the desk across the room. After about 30 minutes of listening to it whirring and feeling absolutely no benefit, we turned it off and attempted to sleep. We then became aware of the brightness, despite heavy blackout curtains. There was a 2 cm gap along the bottom of the door and at the side of the frame from the handle up to the top. This allowed enough light to flood in from the corridor that it was possible make your way to the bathroom without putting on a lamp. There were two bottles of water supplied in the room. These were the refillable, corked type bottle which were tepid to the touch. Even if they were cold, I would be very reluctant to drink water from a refilled bottle that has been left stagnant in the room for heavens knows how long. There was no minibar/mini fridge in the room, therefore no facility for cooling your own water/ soft drinks. We have to base our review on the room and breakfast as we didn't use the spa area which appears to come highly recommended. The breakfast on both mornings was very nice but our access issues and lack of sleep on both nights would probably deter us from returning anytime soon.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
themaryborough, Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2018

Good morning,

Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay on this occasion.
I will take your feedback back to our accommodation manager to review. We are currently in the process of planning our room renovations, so all of your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I will also bring your concerns with our car park to our front of house manager.
However, I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast in our hotel.

I hope you decide to return and stay with us again.