“Happy Family”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Galway, Ireland
“Happy Family”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed here for one night for a family wedding party. we had a family room which consisted of 2 double beds and a single bed and was quite a large room with a lovely view at the front of the hotel. it is really close to cork city so brilliant location for shopping (though you will have to get familiar with all the one way streets to ensure you dont get lost on the way back like we did). we didnt get to sample the food there apart from the breakfast which was lovely. definitely a lovely place for a family stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland.
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel has a very striking architectural design and dates back to 1872 Quaint olde worlde charm !
.Stayed with another couple at the weekend. We received a warm Irish welcome ! Reception staff most pleasant and helpful.

Given free upgrade to front rooms with great views particularly at night. Bottled water, strawberries and 2 cup cakes in room gave a good impression !

Room had tea/coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board, plenty wardrobe space and full length mirror,(so often lacking in hotel rooms !) Hair dryer provided.

Well appointed spacious bathroom with bath and strong shower.

Night cap available from a charming night porter,Don.!

Would like to se more historical notes in bedroom, however the very pleasant receptionist Rhona provided me with a print off of the history (even though she was busy checking out for other guests at the time ) Front of house is so important !!

Have stayed in centre city hotels in Cork before but this was our first stay here and would definitely recommend it and will stay again.

Room Tip: Front rooms have balcony and super views of the city.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I bought a meal deal for this hotel with Grabone before christmas.
It was 2 starters and two mains i think i payed 23 euro for two people,Which is good if you could get a booking.
I tried after christmas twice to get a weekend booking but no luck.
Again 3 times i tried during Jan.to get a weekend booking nothing.
I even tried next week sorry nothing.
So i booked to night monday .
I rang today to confirm to be told sorry no we have no booking in your name even though they took my booking number of coupon etc.
But lady said no prob you can still come.
Well we arrived first impression was hotel a bit dated i also found lady on Reception very unfriendly no good evening or nothing.
We were seated in a room with one other couple.
The menu was ok but would of been nice to have the choice of eating off the bar menu as well.
One waiter was serveing no wonder as it was so quite.
We had chicken satat scwers with a small salad to start it was lovely maybe a 4th scwer would of been nice.
We both then had lamb steak on a bed of mash.
It came with veg very nice.
We ordered chips but not very nice they were rustic ones but other people might like them.
Before Dessert i went to the ladys room i passed reception and asked the lady where to go.
Her answer was out there.she dident say left or right.
I got the mille fille for dessert not nice at all it was like paper thin sheets of pastery very very sweet.
It also had a scoop of ice cream on top which i could not make out as the room was so dark.
but it had nuts in it.our waiter was very nice.
The same cant be said for the lady on reception who dident even bid us goodnight on the way out.
Such a pity as reception is the first place you see in a hotel.
Nice night out with my husband but i wouldent go back again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tammycorkireland
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting this review of our hotel following your recent visit, I would like to confirm we have since spoken and hopefully you were happy how I reacted to this and will trust me in the response I sent to you.

I am confident you will recieve a more positive experience when you return and I welcome any further feedback in that regard,

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention, it is only by recieving feedback can I react and respond in a way that wil benefit all customers of our hotel.

Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed for two nights it was a fantastic experience the receptionist was first class when we arrived she advised us about a few things about cork and she was spot on. Try to get a balcony view it is worth it alone. Only don't expect Wi-Fi it was not available
Highly recommended

Room Tip: Don't expect wifi it is not available for some reason
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for such a positive review of our hotel, our apologies for the disturbance in the WiFi, that week we were having issues which were addressed, we will continue to offer all guests Free Internet Access going forward. I hope you will return soon and experience this.
Thank you for choosing The Ambassador Hotel in Cork for your recent visit.

Dublin
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and was delighted at how lovely it turned out to be. Our room was a great size with the usual tv, kettle, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, etc. Spotlessly clean good sized bathroom. Lovely high ceilings and a huge window which gave us spectacular views over the whole city.

The staff are all so friendly and helpful. Check in and check out were pain free and there was plenty of info in reception about things to do and places to go. The food was delicious too and, despite the fact the waiting staff were run off their feet, they were really efficient and quick.

Would highly recommend a stay here to anyone!

Room Tip: Not sure if there were rooms to the back but I assume there were so when you're booking as for a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sinead W
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for such a kind review following your recent visit to Cork, I am delighted the hotel and staff made such a positive impression on you and your family. We do have rooms to the back of the hotel with tremendous views, but the rooms at the front that have the balconies are an added bonus. These tend to book up quite quickly.

We hope you will become one of our regular guests at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ambassador Hotel in cork.

munster
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed for 1 night, room only E55. Room was a good size, bathroom was tiny.. Perfect if you are just looking for a place to sleep. A stroll to the town ( taxi if in heals or its raining). We did not have a view. Am sure the city view is nice at the front of the hotel. Hotel maintenance could be improved, lots of bulbs blown etc in common areas, needs some TLC. Bar very quite & not inviting.

Room Tip: Try & get a room with a view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing The Ambassador Hotel in Cork, following your stay with us, I am disappointed you did not feel the same experience as most of our guests, being a period building there are all types of rooms which come in all shapes and sizes. Our rates reflect our standard of rooms always, I have addressed the bulbs situtation in the hotel since your visit, this was an uaaceptable issue and was resolved. Should you be kind enough to visit the hotel again, i would appreciate you making direct contact with me, I would be more that happy to personally take care of your reservation.

Kind regards,

+353 21 4539000
Donegal
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Spent a few nights in this hotel. Was greeted with a very warm welcome by the receptionist who was very friendly. Booked this hotel based on price and the availability of free wifi in all rooms and free parking. However, the wifi signal is terrible in the rooms….really bad. Spent my time in the stairwell sending/receiving work emails which was a real pain. Asked to be relocated after the first night due to the noise during the night. I gathered the noise was that of staff outside having a smoking break and a loud chat.
The breakfast isn’t great. Had scrambled eggs which was very very dry. Had brown bread which appeared to be going stale……at least the edge of the brown bread was very tough………….. Had to laugh, all the breakfast juices were available… i.e,. apple, cranberry, orange etc. I had the cranberry juice and when I poured it…………I realised there was a piece of clingfilm attached to the top of the pour spout….so………you can conclude that the juice and jug spent the night in the fridge and was topped up in the morning. At least, that’s all I can imagine anyway.
Dinner is just ok. Everything seems to come in a dish/bowl for some reason. When you order your dinner, in my case, the fish, the fish comes on the plate and the “handcut chips” come in a bowl with the side salad in a bowl and the sauce in a bowl……….…all placed on the plate…....It’s bowls all around……..I’d be happy enough if it was just on a plate thanks….. get rid of all those bowls please………
Ate my meal to discover, the chips were gritty (don’t know if it was soil or what) and the underside of the plate was dirty…..i.e. encrusted food…….very disappointing……
The view form the first room was diabolical………cardboard on the street, bins……..not a pretty site. The view from the second room was better. Nice view of the city………….
Must also give a mention to the two young bar men…….two very polite, friendly and courteous staff members. A credit to the hotel along with the receptionist.
In short, brush up on the food and please sort out that rubbish wifi.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your fair and balanced review following your recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry you encountered problems with the WiFi whilst staying here, we were having issues with certain areas of the building, as this is such an old building with concrete walls there were a few areas of concern. We are currently looking at this and should have it resolved in a short period of time.
I must apologise for the disturbance and the view from your window, i can assure you I have addressed this issue and no other guests should experience this problem.
In relation to the juice at breakfast, please rest assured we do not fill them the night previous for ease of use the following morning, we ensure our night porter fills them at 6.30am each morning and covers them, and the breakfast staff put them to the buffet for 7am. This was a one off incident which will also not happen again,

I have spoken with our head chef following your review, he has asked to be associated with my apologies to you on the quality of the food you were served, we usually recieve high praise for our quality of food, I am not sure why you didn't recieve the same experience, he has spent 2 days with our breakfast team retraining and lifting the quality of items on our menu, I am confident should you return you will see an improvement. I have never recieved comments on the dishes we serve with our evening meals, but we would be more than happy to omit them from your order if required.
Thank you for your kind words on the staff at the hotel, i will be sure to pass these comments forward.

Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Ambassador Hotel in Cork, I hope you will revisit us in the future.