“Way overpriced and needs improvements”

Sultan Cafe Restaurant & Shisha Lounge
Ranked #93 of 723 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Lebanese, Moroccan
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lebanese & Moroccan Cuisine is Authentic,fresh,aromatic and full of flavours,Food in both regions is a social event and is enjoyed in the circle of friends & family.Join us in the culinary journey and transport yourself to the exotic location with our dishes.
Reviewed September 28, 2018

Second time here, was not the most impressed first time around so came back a second time, I had the mix grill on my first visit in which everything was dry and overcooked with frozen chips.
Last night I gave it another try.
Lamb tagine, Had a lamb shank, meat fell of the bone, but felt as tho it had been microwaved, as i was eating off the bone certain parts had dramatic variances in temperatures and texture was slightly off. The lamb was not overpowering mutton like which was a positive. Lack of vegetables in the Tagine, there was one baby potato and a 1/5th of a carrot. Needed more veg and more sauce.
Flavour was most certainly there in the sauce, but just not enough of it.
I was not to impressed with the couscous, although cooked to perfection, it tasted like the tomato couscous my wife gets in an instant pack in lidl, with little seasoning.
Everything is way overpriced.
7e for a bit of hummus and a small pita.
17e for a tagine. the prices are 25% overpriced considering the location and the uncomfortable chairs and improvements needed on the food..
4.5e for a "non- alcoholic beer", its was carbonated water with malt flavouring from some other country, was not pleasant, needed ice as it was warm.

My highlight was the Tagine sauce, packed with flavour, but lacking veg and generous portion.

Wont be back again unfortunately. I cannot justify the prices.

Advice, shorten menu, up the quality and sauce portions, consider pricing. the fridge is an eye sore and looks cheap. the white plastic conduit on the walls for network cables cheapens the feel.

There was no value to be had here i'm sorry to say.
The owner seems a really nice guy, but thats not enough

Ali H, Manager at Sultan Cafe Restaurant & Shisha Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Hi Nick,
We want to thank you for your feedback.
We apologize for the aspects you did not appreciate much.
We might be seeing these aspects from a different perspective.
Thanks again for your time :)
Kind regards,
The manager

Reviewed September 27, 2018

Really great spot. Delicious Shawarma and Hummus. Highly recommend the rose water turkish coffee! Will definitely be back

Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

Visited as part of a group booking with colleagues at dinner time.
Ordered a variety of hot and cold starters to share, which were served beautifully and all very nice. The Falafel and baba ghanouj gets a special mention.
The restaurant decor itself is understated with clear attention time detail. The staff are friendly and helpful. Lovely first experience,I do recommend and would visit again.

Reviewed September 1, 2018

To commence with the positives ! the service was excellent, friendly and interactive (which saved this review being a one star) but there the positives end.
I used to be a very regular diner in this restaurant but haven't been in a year or so and quite looked forward to my return. in the interim I believe that the establishment has come under new management.
As someone who is in business myself I don't lightly give a poor review, however in my opinion the quality of the food has dropped significantly since my last visit.
We both had a shawarma as a starter course, one chicken, one lamb. This dish in past times included a very smooth hummus with a freshly baked garlic flat bread, however we both found the hummus to be anything but smooth, harsh on the palate and the flat bread was a pitta bread with a bit of garlic oil over it, whats more I think I'm fairly safe in the assertion that the pitta's were of the shop bought variety. It looked unappetising and looked far better than it ate.
For main I had a "King Prawn" Tagine, it was quite a liberty to refer to the prawns as "King" and the rice was quite unlike anything I've ever eaten ! it was more like a pulse than a rice.
My partner had a meat moussaka which was quite simply a vegetable stew with minced lamb on top, certainly not layered and whilst I am not an expert in Turkish cuisine, I do have a fairly educated palate and realise there is a different between Turkish & Greek moussaka, however this dish was fairly unappetising ! so much so, that my partner ate the lamb mince and left the rest.
Whilst there were spice present, the meals were not in any way balanced, and we both found them to be very heavy with the spice being more of an assault on the palate rather than the gastronomical experience we had expected and took for granted in previous visits. The meal sat heavily repeating for quite a few hours after completion.
All reviews are down to personal experience and there are many positive ones published with regard to this restaurant, unfortunately however ours was anything but. With the exception of the server nothing about our meal was value for money and considering the competition on offer within a short walk, this return visit will regretfully be my last to this restaurant.

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

When we were inside I felt like we are not in Ireland. The atmosphere is really different and unique with the music and style. The food was tasty, different that we get used to. I ordered lamb, which was really tender and soft. It's not the cheapest restaurant, but worth to try out as it offers special food.