New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Very good hotel and location, go to the English Market for breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel Cork

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Madrid, Spain
“Very good hotel and location, go to the English Market for breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

LOCATION
Located at one end of the city centre. Its location is brilliant, 2 blocks to one of the two liveliest streets of the city: Oliver Plunkett St. Besides, Saint Patrick’s St., the other busiest street, is 5 minutes away on foot.

ROOM AND COMMON AREAS
We booked a superior double room (=standard) and it was quite big with a double bed, a working table and chair, two armchairs and a balcony. Free wifi. Lcd tv. New furniture. Very comfortable. No noise. I would describe it as luxurious excluding the bathroom, which was standard. Reception area was unfriendly and impersonal but the inner courtyard was impressive.

BREAKFAST
We did not have breakfast at the hotel. Instead, we went and I would definitely recommend going to the English Market (at Oliver Plunkett St, between Prince St and Grand Parade), where you will find many different and wonderful food stalls and deli options.

RECEPTION AND CHECKING OUT
The attention at front desk is anytime friendly and helpful and when checking out the hotel staff gave us two bottles of mineral water as a courtesy.

OVERALL
Good value for money and perfect location. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We spent two nights here as part of a larger trip within Ireland. The positive experience started at check-in, where we were warmly greeted and given tips on where to go and what to do while in Cork. We had reserved a triple room and the room was of good size for three people, and also very clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and also very nice/clean. Parking was easily available at the hotel for EUR 10 per night.

In addition to the above, a key strength of the hotel is its excellent location. The surrounding streets are quiet, but you're only a 5-10 minute walk from most bars and pubs, as well as multiple good restaurants. Cork has a small city center and is easily walkable.

I'd definitely consider the hotel again on my next trip to Cork. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just back from Cork where we stayed at this central hotel. Hotel is only few minutes walk to the main shopping area as well as all pubs & bars. Recommend this hotel for everybody: couples, corporate guests, families as well as stags & hens. It's brilliant in all aspects! The room we had was huge, comfortable and overlooking the river. The breakfast was amazing - definitely stay in Clarion if you are visiting Cork.

Few things you should know about this hotel:
*The car park is underneath the hotel and there is a charge for it;
*They have leisure club (gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi) & Spa in the premisses (you need to book your treatments in advance);
*During our visit the main restaurant wasn't open but I heard this should be changed in near future; so make arrangements for you dinner before you arrive;
*There is Kudos bar in the hotel where you can get some food (mainly asian style food);

After all - lovely hotel and we will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: *Room on higher floor overlooking the river; *Room with balcony;
Dear Angellica_Sta

It is great to read such a pleasant review and be able to give such positive feedback to our hard working team here in the hotel.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us in Cork.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel very soon and should you decide to return, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly for any assistance you may require.

Donald
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Clarion for a couple of nights and was quite impressed. As context, I have traveled to a dozen countries in Europe and stayed in many nice hotels, and this one is pretty good by my standards.

1. Location - Short walk from the tourist areas in Oliver Plunkett St.. Right next to the bus station, which makes it easy to arrive from the airport bus and also take trips to Blarney Castle etc. Also, a short walk to the train station for visiting Cobh.

2. Service - Staff is very helpful. They accommodated my request for change of room to one with a view of the River Lee. They also help you plan your visit. Breakfast service was great despite it being a busy weekend.

3. Room - Nice size, very comfortable with all the amenities. Room service is great.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the River.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear jmalkani,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel on your recent visit to Cork City, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

It is great to see that our prime city centre location was to your satisfaction and furthermore that all the staff you encountered on duty during the weekend were pleasant and friendly. As with all feedback we receive, I shall pass your encouraging words of support onto the entire team here in the hotel.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future, and should you return again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance you may require with your reservation.

dmorrissy@clarionhotelcorkcity.com
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We booked this hotel for the Easter Weekend. We checked in on Easter Saturday at 3.05pm and was told that our room wasn't ready. We were left waiting 45 mins for our room to be ready. The room was clean and spacious, however the door leading out to the balcony wasn't properly fitted and there was a gap of 1 to 2 inches at the top of the door so we could hear all the traffic on the opposite side of the river. The reason we paid extra for this type of room was so that we would not hear traffice noise.
We decided to go to the pool which is quite small. The changing rooms were filthy, there was hair caught in two of the shower plug holes and there was a guest walking around the pool in his shoes with no shoe covers on which I found very unhygience. I know he was only watching out for his son but he should at least have been given shoe covers to put over his shoes. Swim hats are supposed to be worn but most people there didn't bother. I was going to complain to the pool staff on leaving but while waiting for my husband to come out of the changing rooms, the two pool staff members were having a conversation between themselves as to how underpaid and overworked they are so I decided not to bother as I don't think they would have cared what I had to say.
Our reservation was for 2 nights B & B and one evening meal. We were told that our meal was in Kudos which we were told was in the bar. We booked our meal for 6.30pm and on entering the bar, the noise was unreal as there was a rugby match on the tv. We were seated right beside the speakers to start with but we asked to be moved, it was still very loud after being moved so my husband & I couldn't have a conversation so we just sat and waited for our meal to arrive. Due to the noise levels, the waitress got our drinks order and dessert order wrong. Totally unacceptable. When we go out for meals we like to sit back relax and have a chat. We ended up taking our drinks to the room to get some peace as there was a hen party having their meal in the foyer which wasn't very relaxing either. We were woken up numerous times during the night with people being loud coming back to their rooms and girls banging on doors to be left into rooms. We were both wrecked on sunday morning going for breakfast. Breakfast was busy, we were shown to our table and we went and got our cereal/fruit. My husband came back with his cereal and realised he had no spoon. He looked around for a waitress and after a while he found one and was told that they had ran out of spoons!!! The lady in the next table kindly lent him hers as she didn;t want it but at this stage his cereal was gone soggy. The hot breakfast is self service, the fried egg was cold and the potatoes were not cooked 100%. After breakfast we decided to cut our stay short and head home as I was developing a migraine from the lack of sleep.

We were totally disappointed with the hotel... On leaving my husband said that he wouldn't give it 1 star. It is not acceptable for a 4 star hotel.

We did meet the duty manager before we left who did apologise but that is not enough.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Westlife101
Dear Westlife 101,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel based on your recent stay with us.

I am most surprised and disappointed to read your review and I would very much like to profusely apologise to you and your husband for the experiences you received whilst staying with us last weekend, I assure you this is not the normal standard of service we provide to all guests of our hotel.
The majority of reviews we receive are of a positive nature, complementing the hotel & services and as such I am very sorry that your weekend was as described.

I would very much care to speak with you in person to reiterate my apologise, and if you would care to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me via email; dmorrissy@clarionhotelcorkcity.com

Ardee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a great weekend at the Clarion Hotel, Cork City last St Patricks weekend. Myself and 12 other girls stayed there for my sisters hen weekend.
The location was fantastic - near the train station, within walking distance to all of the City's must see attractions and all the great pubs, clubs and restaurants.
We had lovely food there on both nights in both the bar and the restaurant.
Customer service was excellent as coming up to the weekend there was lots of chopping and changing, people coming and not coming and even though I was always changing numbers and names for rooms, it was no problem for the facilitator at the Clarion Hotel, Cork.
The rooms were really nice and all members of staff that we met all over the weekend were so friendly and helpful and full of the craic! I noticed lots of families there too and will definitly be heading back down again with my husband and kids.
Thanks Clarion for a weekend to remember for my sister and all her hens!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Aisling G,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel based on you recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you and your entire Hen Party enjoyed your stay with us so much.

I am also very pleased to read that you found all the staff you come in contact with to be efficient and friendly and be assured I shall pass on your kind words to the entire team here in the hotel.

I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the future, and should you return to Cork again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance you may require with your reservation.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

One night stay here for a work event. Having experienced the hotel for meetings and lunch regularly I had not stayed there as it is just 20 minutes from home. My stay was pleasant, rooms are typical of a business hotel and breakfast was good. The main restaurant used to be excellent but there is a change of management so I am not sure how this will effect it. The Asian bar food has never dissapointed. I would recommend as a modern city centre business hotel.

Charging for parking for residents is a little unacceptable though.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear HT 1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor and sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how highly you thought our hotel and services provided.