“Started great but was quickly disappointing”

Charlotte Quay Restaurant
Ranked #578 of 2,926 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$23 - US$63
Description: Charlotte Quay's dining room serves Mediterranean food with subtle hints of the East, using the finest Irish produce. Marc & Conor Bereen of Coppinger Row bring their welcoming & relaxed atmosphere to an enviable location on the Grand Canal Dock waterfront. Along with a stylish bar next door with signature cocktails, bold wines, brews & snacks, it is the perfect destination for any occasion.
Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

After trying one of the best pork belly starters I’ve ever had, the mains were heavily disappointing. The steak was tough as boots and slightly over cooked. Really disappointing for a piece meat costing€25. The side salad had no dressing, was just leafy greens. The fries were way too salty. All in all, wouldn’t return or recommend.

We would have shared our thoughts with the staff but they never asked. It’s a shame, it had the potential to be amazing as the vibe and ambience was great. By the end we felt it was more show than substance.

CharlotteQuay, Public Relations Manager at Charlotte Quay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Marita,
Thank you for your review. We are terribly disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your evening with us, our sincerest apologies. Please let me know if you decide to give us another chance and return, I will ensure that you are looked after. My direct email is daphne@charlottequay.ie. Apologies again. Kindest regards,
Daphne

Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

Burger was decent but the chips were nearly cold as the food was sitting out for around 5 minutes before it was brought over. This was despite the restaurant being almost empty at the time. Took my friend 10 minutes to be served his pint of beer and only after going up to the bar a second time to remind the staff! Staff were friendly but service was poor. Good location but won't be returning.

Hi there,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry hear you didn't enjoy your visit to Charlotte Quay, my sincerest apologies. My direct email is daphne@charlottequay.ie, please email me should you wish to return and I will ensure that you are looked after. My apologies again.
Kindest regards,
Daphne

Reviewed October 5, 2018

This our first visit to Dublin and 1st restaurant experience. The restaurant is right on the water. Service and food was very good.

1  Thank 534andyd
Daphne W, Public Relations Manager at Charlotte Quay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Andy, Thank you for your wonderful review, we really appreciate feedback from our customers. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Dublin and that you join us again when you return! Many thanks again.

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

Very special panorama views of the dock land area. Very good food - great hangar steak - and solid wine menu. Went with a dozen from work and we all enjoyed the evening.

1  Thank CTPreview
Daphne W, Public Relations Manager at Charlotte Quay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we really do appreciate customer feedback. We very much look forward to welcoming you and your work team back soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed September 25, 2018

I’d summarise this restaurant experience as being a touch underwhelming.

The location should be good….a recently-trendy area of Dublin…close to the theatre, Google, Facebook etc….and on the water with house-boats moored outside the restaurant. The only problem I found with the overall location was that it was a bit “sterile”….no REAL bars, like you’d find in most parts of the city. The area felt a bit lacking-in-atmosphere and “manufactured”.

The location of Charlotte Quay Restaurant (within this sterile environment) was actually quite nice. We sat in the bar first – and the bartenders were very attentive, friendly and fast. There were not many people there on a Saturday night. We had a few light starters there, olives etc….and they were very nice. So far so good.

We moved into the restaurant after an hour or so – and had a very nice table as requested. I can recommend the “gambas” (prawns) in garlic for starter – they were delicious – as was the soup.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was good – as it was well laid out and the place was full. Plenty of chat and background noise – it was not quiet….. The walls were glass and gave an unobstructed view of the lit-up water outside.

The main course was average. I had the fish – which had some nice prawns and mussels on the side. However the fish itself was disappointing – quite dry…. The sauce and the seafood on the side was very good – but the fish itself was very average. For being the most expensive item on the menu (I believe it was – or close to….) , I expected a lot more. My partner had the burger – and it was also nice – but nothing special.

The water was free-flowing (both still and sparkling) and the wine by the glass was nice.

The service was a bit off. There were a few confusions….with waiters coming to our table with food we didn’t order….a bit chaotic at times. I missed authenticity in the restaurant staff….. We asked the restaurant to call taxis for us at the end of the night……but when their taxi-app didn’t result in any taxis, and I requested that we call a taxi company instead, this seemed to be impossible as they “didn’t know any taxi numbers”. Maybe I’m old-fashioned. We left eventually and flagged down taxis on the road. I believe that a good restaurant should be able to successfully order a taxi.

The bill was large – as you can imagine – made larger by the service charge being added on (as it appears that this is done when there is a party of 5 or 6 or more). We were not aware of the service charge being added until we were presented with the bill. Maybe we missed it on the menu, but if we did, we all missed it (6 people). I’ll happily pay for a top-notch dinner and not live to regret it one little bit….but you know that feeling when you feel you’ve overpaid for the quality you actually received….. You don’t tend to go back.

My recommendation (for non-Dubliners!) would be as follows. If you are in Dublin and want to find a nice pint and a great meal, there are many, many great restaurants in the center of town, with superb food, great service and friendly and authentic bars in plentiful supply for that pre- or post-dinner drink. You’ll pay the same and potentially get better food – and you’ll have the authentic atmosphere of Dublin City all around you.

I’ll finish by saying that some members of the group love this restaurant and may not share the same opinion. Everything is a matter of taste…..

1  Thank BJODO