“New favourite place in Dublin ”
Review of Urchin

Urchin
Ranked #1,054 of 2,889 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$58
Description: An alternative, cool urban space for pre-dinner meet ups or nights out in town. Serving quality drinks and cocktails. CLIFF Executive Chef Martijn Kajuiter and Cliff Townhouse Head Chef Sean Smith have joined together to create a CLIFF take on the small plate concept. Urchin is a great choice for a quick bite at lunch or late night bite.
Reviewed June 12, 2017 via mobile

We stumbled on this place one lunchtime and were so glad we did. It's a tiny little basement level wine/tapas bar decorated in bright whites so it feels cheerful and not at all gloomy. The menu was really imaginative and unusual, with an extensive cocktail list. We ordered a lunch dish and a couple of tapas to share. The tapas were small but very good value so you could order more of the ones you liked the most (which we did). Very keen to go back!

Reviewed June 2, 2017

Loved finding this downstairs restaurant under The Cliff Townhouse at St. Stephens Green. I needed something quick, but am a foodie so was particular, glad I tried it.
I sat at the bar and was served my meal within 5 minutes of ordering and with my glass of Albarino, a beautiful meal was had. Service was friendly and smart, great ambiance, clean and vibrant with cool vibes. Don't remember what music was on, as I was in a rush, but definitely worth trying their tapas. I had Razor Clam, Duck Liver, Sobrasada, and the Pork dish. Watch out, when they say its spicy, its HOT. But I ate it anyways! Am going back for sure when I go back to Dublin!

1  Thank sdlibra
Reviewed April 16, 2017 via mobile

Super little restaurant with a very small but excellent menu plus lovely wines & impeccable service. High end seafood tapas like Dublin has not seen before amazing ceviche, tuna tartare, scallops..... yum!

Reviewed March 30, 2017

Wasn’t overly impressed, ate early and the only other guests arrived as we were leaving…probably better at night/evening…and weather wasn’t quite matching the beach-hutty vibe they’re going for…hard to achieve in a cellar. Needs more work/pricing is too high. Tried most of the tapas…liked the urchin with chopped celery/cherry tomato and Bloody Mary-ish? hollandaise and it’s hard to mess up Iberian ham (although, the bread was over toasted/too thin beneath – a good qual. fresh bread would have been better). Sobrasada bun was quite nice and the oysters might have been better uncooked…razor clam with the ubiquitous pomegranate was fine…not sure I got the lemon emulsion? Could take or leave the octopus…or the pork belly in iceberg lettuce. Disappointed with the duck liver profiterole…wasn’t my cupán…maybe if it was room temp? Also, the scallop chunks are too big…feels like a massive mouthful of sashimi…had thinly sliced in Thornton’s at one stage and far better…seaweed was nice/crunchy, but found the ginger slick/gloss? unpleasant. I know it’s supposed to be a place to flog cocktails as the mark-up is huge…especially with us Irish, but I’m not keen on eating with all that sugar, so expected a better selection of wines…prices are also high…tenner for a glass of ok-ish albarino…another white at €14? Big fan of Smith’s cooking, not so much Kajuiter’s…maybe less flash and more substance. Also, while I think of it, cutlery/tweezers/oyster forks etc all over the gaf, mish mash of plates, boards etc…needs continuity…and when I asked for some bread for urchin No. 2, it wasn’t right…like a brioche…and butter direct from fridge…plenty of decent local breads would have beaten that, e.g. Tartine/Le Levain. And rock hard butter??? Ye can do better!

4  Thank Simon D
Reviewed March 28, 2017

Attended this bijou Tapas bar last Saturday afternoon in the heart of Dublin's Fair City with family after a recommendation. The head chef Shaun was a gentleman who takes exceptional pride in service, presentation and quality locally sourced culinary delights.We were totally blown away. The Tapas were amazing and these guys really make you feel special.This is a hidden gem. Highly Highly recommended.Thanks to all the staff. Will be back when we return to Ireland .

2  Thank Spud1977