“Like being in Spain”
Review of Urchin

Urchin
Ranked #890 of 2,724 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$61
Description: An alternative, cool urban space for pre-dinner meet ups or nights out in town. Serving quality drinks and cocktails. CLIFF Executive Chef Martijn Kajuiter and Cliff Townhouse Head Chef Sean Smith have joined together to create a CLIFF take on the small plate concept. Urchin is a great choice for a quick bite at lunch or late night bite.
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

I noticed Urchin maybe a week or two ago and knew straight away I wanted to try it - great marketing!

I decided to book for a belated Father's Day and booked online - turns out I booked the the Cliff Townhouse by accident, an easy mistake to make on the website. It was no issue at all.

We arrived at half six and sat outside on stools next to a sort of make-do bar table. Ordinarily I probably would have found this annoying or inconvenient, but with 20 degree weather and great food it didn't bother us at all.

I had a blue urchin cocktail and my dad had a G&T. Both were lovely.

We chose a selection of the tapas:
Octopus
Tempura artichoke
Iberico croquettes
Marinated seatrout

We dug in, the pieces come out when ready which is great so you get a few at a time. The artichokes were incredible. One of the best things I've eaten in a while. The croquettes were good, marinated trout very tasty. We made the mistake of ignoring our servers advice and left it on the salt block too long, but it was still delicious! The octopus is fantastic, really buttery and smoky.

We decided to order another artichoke and also try the Irish pork. The Irish pork was also stunning.

Highly highly recommend. The menu changes, but the servers are lovely and know what's good.

The plates are small, it is tapas, so bear that in mind. We left full but not bursting at the seams with 2 drinks for €57. We both felt it was excellent value. We'll be back!

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

We stumbled on this place one lunchtime and were so glad we did. It's a tiny little basement level wine/tapas bar decorated in bright whites so it feels cheerful and not at all gloomy. The menu was really imaginative and unusual, with an extensive cocktail list. We ordered a lunch dish and a couple of tapas to share. The tapas were small but very good value so you could order more of the ones you liked the most (which we did). Very keen to go back!

Reviewed 2 June 2017

Loved finding this downstairs restaurant under The Cliff Townhouse at St. Stephens Green. I needed something quick, but am a foodie so was particular, glad I tried it.
I sat at the bar and was served my meal within 5 minutes of ordering and with my glass of Albarino, a beautiful meal was had. Service was friendly and smart, great ambiance, clean and vibrant with cool vibes. Don't remember what music was on, as I was in a rush, but definitely worth trying their tapas. I had Razor Clam, Duck Liver, Sobrasada, and the Pork dish. Watch out, when they say its spicy, its HOT. But I ate it anyways! Am going back for sure when I go back to Dublin!

1  Thank sdlibra
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Super little restaurant with a very small but excellent menu plus lovely wines & impeccable service. High end seafood tapas like Dublin has not seen before amazing ceviche, tuna tartare, scallops..... yum!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

Wasn’t overly impressed, ate early and the only other guests arrived as we were leaving…probably better at night/evening…and weather wasn’t quite matching the beach-hutty vibe they’re going for…hard to achieve in a cellar. Needs more work/pricing is too high. Tried most of the tapas…liked the urchin with chopped celery/cherry tomato and Bloody Mary-ish? hollandaise and it’s hard to mess up Iberian ham (although, the bread was over toasted/too thin beneath – a good qual. fresh bread would have been better). Sobrasada bun was quite nice and the oysters might have been better uncooked…razor clam with the ubiquitous pomegranate was fine…not sure I got the lemon emulsion? Could take or leave the octopus…or the pork belly in iceberg lettuce. Disappointed with the duck liver profiterole…wasn’t my cupán…maybe if it was room temp? Also, the scallop chunks are too big…feels like a massive mouthful of sashimi…had thinly sliced in Thornton’s at one stage and far better…seaweed was nice/crunchy, but found the ginger slick/gloss? unpleasant. I know it’s supposed to be a place to flog cocktails as the mark-up is huge…especially with us Irish, but I’m not keen on eating with all that sugar, so expected a better selection of wines…prices are also high…tenner for a glass of ok-ish albarino…another white at €14? Big fan of Smith’s cooking, not so much Kajuiter’s…maybe less flash and more substance. Also, while I think of it, cutlery/tweezers/oyster forks etc all over the gaf, mish mash of plates, boards etc…needs continuity…and when I asked for some bread for urchin No. 2, it wasn’t right…like a brioche…and butter direct from fridge…plenty of decent local breads would have beaten that, e.g. Tartine/Le Levain. And rock hard butter??? Ye can do better!

2  Thank Simon D