“Wanted to LOVE it but it was just a like instead.....”
Review of Locks Brasserie - CLOSED

Locks Brasserie
Price range: US$40 - US$87
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant offering superlative standards of modern Irish and French cuisine.Locks also offers several choices of private fine dining rooms from an intimate single oval table in our Green Room for private corporate or family events to groups up to 20 people in our Silver Room and larger groups and celebrations for up to forty in one room or 75 in several rooms. Locks Brasserie is licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies, intimate weddings, receptions, lunches and dinners. Intimate weddings are a wonderful celebration shared with a select group of friends and close family, they seek a more exclusive and intimate feel. We believe that Locks Brasserie is an ideal venue to celebrate a stylish, understated, quirky, intimate wedding. Locks is blessed with several dining rooms which can cater for family parties or larger groups. The maximum number of people the restaurant can cater for in one room is 40 people. In separate rooms we can cater for up to 75 people.
Reviewed July 14, 2015

Well, I really wanted to leave a brilliant review of Locks as we were looking forward to eating here for ages. However, I must say it was in some ways a bit disappointing. I should say that the service was excellent with one small criticism. When the staff were explaining the dishes in great detail they would wag their finger very close to the food and to the diner, I found I a bit weird and off putting. Also nice was the bread service which came in a lovely sack. Usually when you go fine dining, you are brought a tray of bread and made to choose a morsel, then feel uncomfortable asking for more. It was nice to just get the bread with yummy crème fraiche alongside. The food here is presented beautifully, the kitchen is clearly ambitious and put a lot of effort into creating nice looking plates of food, sadly a bit too much time because for me they should spent more time making it taste better....Pretty much everything we ate was frankly,,,bland. It all needed seasoning or some more intensity of flavour. Our amuse was lovely looking but tasted of ,,,well,,, nothing. The barest hint of truffle.. My starter of Foie Gras was again so mild in flavour , it was surprising. There was a big vein in the Foie as well. The other elements on the plate were delicious however. The Octopus starter was tender and tasted ok. The mains even for fine dining were ridiculously small. The cauliflower puree on the Turbot was the best thing on it, so smooth and delicious. The gnocchi were tasty but heavy. Stone bass was nice. Our sweets were a mixed bag. The lemon tart was excellent, little meringues dotted the tart and all together it was yummy. The apricot dessert was just ok, and the black olive cake that sounded so adventurous and interesting was just horrible. The cake was hard enough as not to be edible ( I didn’t eat it…) it was so rough looking and seemed unlike any of the precise food that was served all night. When I mentioned to the server that she should tell the Chef that it was really not nice ( an actual attempt to do him a favour as it must’ve slipped his notice) we were told that he used to make it “ light and spongy” but now makes it “this way”. Well sadly it was a brutal way to end a meal that had such high expectations that were missed by a wide margin. A little less artistry and a little more attention to detail in the actual cooking is in order here. On a lighter note it was amusing to watch the Manageress stride thru the dining room admiring herself in all the mirrors very chance she got, perhaps she should try paying attention to the Kitchen a little more……

4  Thank noshorebee

Reviewed July 3, 2015

Myself and HERSELF are regulars at Locks - it is a "local" restaurant to us. Food is generally very pleasant, and service is attentive and friendly. I would make one serious criticism. Locks has gone through a number of "reinventions", and a number of Head Chefs. The present menu format, which involves a compulsory three courses, is not particularly convenient to those of us who are usually "two course" people and, overall, results in a significantly more expensive evening than would otherwise be the case. Of course, a significant hike also seems to have been imposed on basic price mark - though I have to say that I do not go out to dinner to do detailed price assessments.

In summary, given the structure of the menu and the price level, I would have to say that we are not quite as happy to visit Locks as we used to be. We tend to eat out once a week, and Locks would have been a favoured choice through good times and bad. Have to say that these days, our attention is more inclined to stray elsewhere. As a Locks "local", I have to say that this is a pity ... Best regards, OMB.

1  Thank Ould_Mr_Brennan
Reviewed July 1, 2015 via mobile

Being from France you wouldn't imagine that you could find French food as good or even better than some of the most famous French restaurant.
I highly recommend it!!!

Reviewed June 27, 2015

I was brought to Locks recently for Sunday lunch as a birthday treat. There were four of us dining. We where seated at a lovely window seat with views of the canal, perfect for people watching. We decided to try the mystery tasting menu with accompanying wine. What a great treat. The food was fantastic; my favourite dish was the sweetbreads, really worth a try. I’m not a dessert person but the cherry and chocolate dish won me over. Even the petit fours where out of this world. The service was impecible; they anticipated every need without being intrusive.

If you get a chance have a look at the dining rooms upstairs, beautiful. I believe they are now licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies. This would be a perfect location for a small and intimate wedding

Reviewed June 20, 2015 via mobile

Just been to Locks Brasserie with the family and it was as the title says FantasticoAs there was 5 of us we were seated at a lovely well presented round table with a comfy couch to one side.We started off with a drink special of Pina Coladas to which were made with a lot of tlc from the quint little bar they havefollowed by some gorgeous homemade bread to the table!We then had a mushroom appetizer which was just gorgeous.We then proceeded to order from there lovely well presented menu which we found to be great value for money in u can have 3 courses for €55 or 2 for €45!Nice selection of decent wines on offer aswell if you like your VinoAnyways now onto the food I started with the Octopus which was delightful and to others had the Veal which again was full of flavour and a treat to eat!For mains some of us had the turbot with Lobster & others had the Beef fillet which again did not dissapoint both gorgeous and full of flavour.Clean plates for everyone which is always a good sign.For desserts I had the chocolate and cherry desert which was lovely and others opted for the cheese board.We loved the way the cheese came over to the table on a trolley and presented infront of the table and plated with care and finess & the smell was just delightful.The staff were equily as good as the food & very attentive & professional.Luved the fact they explained each dish in detail as it was servedA touch of class.Overall a great meal and some very happy new customers.Hats off to the chef and team Bravo!!This restaurant is up there with the best of the best in Dublin!Will be highly recommending to friends & family.
Regards David Mcgrath.