“Just short of spectacular”
Review of Locks Brasserie - CLOSED

Locks Brasserie
Price range: US$41 - US$87
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant offering superlative standards of modern Irish and French cuisine.Locks also offers several choices of private fine dining rooms from an intimate single oval table in our Green Room for private corporate or family events to groups up to 20 people in our Silver Room and larger groups and celebrations for up to forty in one room or 75 in several rooms. Locks Brasserie is licensed to host civil wedding ceremonies, intimate weddings, receptions, lunches and dinners. Intimate weddings are a wonderful celebration shared with a select group of friends and close family, they seek a more exclusive and intimate feel. We believe that Locks Brasserie is an ideal venue to celebrate a stylish, understated, quirky, intimate wedding. Locks is blessed with several dining rooms which can cater for family parties or larger groups. The maximum number of people the restaurant can cater for in one room is 40 people. In separate rooms we can cater for up to 75 people.
Reviewed December 15, 2015

Three of us went there and had the December menu. My companions had the mackerel and beetroot. I had the crispy pigs ear. Their two starters were absolutely delicious. Mine was slightly disappointing- the only equivalent I can think of is a spring roll. I had venison for the main course. They had gnocchi and Halibut. The waiters asked did we want sides but we have been stung so often in Dublin by paying vast sums extra for sides all said no. I didn't realise the sides were included in the main dish. My venison was the best I have ever tasted. Absolutely pink and cut with a fork. On top of it was what may have been either string of burnt apples or onions but they were so salty it was hard to tell.The staff generally were excellent but when I mentioned this to the person who took away the plates they were less than pleased. The rest of the dish was absolutely delicious as were my companions. Without the sides the portions were extremely small. I had a medjoul date pudding with burnt treacle ice cream and one of the others had the chocolate tart- both excellent. The other asked for cheese and was told there was only one type available. Two excellent bottles of Portuguese grous. Do not pick the round table in the middle. Too much traffic. Finally they asked two of us to move closer together to make room. The room itself is lovely. Total cost with tip €90 per head. It is really very good and all of the minor problems could easily be cured.

Reviewed November 22, 2015

Was here for the 2nd time in 3 weeks and again I have to write a review because the food was exceptional and I had the haddock fish balls and the thin potato crisps for starter and John Dory for main course. My friends had the Chateaubriand for 3 which looked as good as it was when Ii had it 3 weeks ago. Keep going to this restaurant it is great .

Reviewed July 16, 2015 via mobile

Excellent service! Surprising mix of flavors. Cosy and homy feel. Old fashion decor, still using blackboard. Nice music mix.

Reviewed July 14, 2015

Well, I really wanted to leave a brilliant review of Locks as we were looking forward to eating here for ages. However, I must say it was in some ways a bit disappointing. I should say that the service was excellent with one small criticism. When the staff were explaining the dishes in great detail they would wag their finger very close to the food and to the diner, I found I a bit weird and off putting. Also nice was the bread service which came in a lovely sack. Usually when you go fine dining, you are brought a tray of bread and made to choose a morsel, then feel uncomfortable asking for more. It was nice to just get the bread with yummy crème fraiche alongside. The food here is presented beautifully, the kitchen is clearly ambitious and put a lot of effort into creating nice looking plates of food, sadly a bit too much time because for me they should spent more time making it taste better....Pretty much everything we ate was frankly,,,bland. It all needed seasoning or some more intensity of flavour. Our amuse was lovely looking but tasted of ,,,well,,, nothing. The barest hint of truffle.. My starter of Foie Gras was again so mild in flavour , it was surprising. There was a big vein in the Foie as well. The other elements on the plate were delicious however. The Octopus starter was tender and tasted ok. The mains even for fine dining were ridiculously small. The cauliflower puree on the Turbot was the best thing on it, so smooth and delicious. The gnocchi were tasty but heavy. Stone bass was nice. Our sweets were a mixed bag. The lemon tart was excellent, little meringues dotted the tart and all together it was yummy. The apricot dessert was just ok, and the black olive cake that sounded so adventurous and interesting was just horrible. The cake was hard enough as not to be edible ( I didn’t eat it…) it was so rough looking and seemed unlike any of the precise food that was served all night. When I mentioned to the server that she should tell the Chef that it was really not nice ( an actual attempt to do him a favour as it must’ve slipped his notice) we were told that he used to make it “ light and spongy” but now makes it “this way”. Well sadly it was a brutal way to end a meal that had such high expectations that were missed by a wide margin. A little less artistry and a little more attention to detail in the actual cooking is in order here. On a lighter note it was amusing to watch the Manageress stride thru the dining room admiring herself in all the mirrors very chance she got, perhaps she should try paying attention to the Kitchen a little more……

4  Thank noshorebee
Reviewed July 3, 2015

Myself and HERSELF are regulars at Locks - it is a "local" restaurant to us. Food is generally very pleasant, and service is attentive and friendly. I would make one serious criticism. Locks has gone through a number of "reinventions", and a number of Head Chefs. The present menu format, which involves a compulsory three courses, is not particularly convenient to those of us who are usually "two course" people and, overall, results in a significantly more expensive evening than would otherwise be the case. Of course, a significant hike also seems to have been imposed on basic price mark - though I have to say that I do not go out to dinner to do detailed price assessments.

In summary, given the structure of the menu and the price level, I would have to say that we are not quite as happy to visit Locks as we used to be. We tend to eat out once a week, and Locks would have been a favoured choice through good times and bad. Have to say that these days, our attention is more inclined to stray elsewhere. As a Locks "local", I have to say that this is a pity ... Best regards, OMB.

1  Thank Ould_Mr_Brennan