“Not great & way overpriced”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was not a bad experience by any means. The hotel is clean, old obviously, but there were a few problems. Funny thing is the bathrooms, completely outdated and not modernized at all, have several negative comments on booking.com. I had the same problem and pointed it out upon checkout, the woman looked at me as if this was the first time she heard this???? ah come on I said you have several comments on the site stating the same problem. Immediately she said yes we do, but the building is old. First she looks surprised and in a half a second she caves??????????????????? The breakfast was extortionatly priced even by Irish standards, as was the bar. Our bar bill for 2 people was the same price as the hotel bill. The service in the same bar was shocking, I had to track down bartenders. They were out of stock, ie cream. No Irish coffee's to be had. We went just down the street to Carluccio's for breakfast, not cheap either but fabulous, certainly better than here. Parking, there is none, well if you check in after 6pm and out before 8am they will comp a nearby multi story parking lot. I checked in at 3pm and out at noon, parking cost me 30 Euro and that was after he took off the overnight charge the hotel would cover. Also there were very drunk guests screaming and laughing in the hall outside my room at 3am. Did management appear? No. Did they apologise when I pointed this out? No. Will I be back. Never.

Room Tip: dont stay here, thats a good tip.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear sandraorourkeglynn,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations. We have recently started some refurbishment within the Hotel and although we are not a modern hotel we do maintain our facilities to a high standard.

With regards the Breakfast we have reduced our Breakfast cost from €17 to €10 as a special rate to all residents, this price includes both the continental & the Full Irish. Unfortunately Buswells Hotel has no carpark due to our City Centre location so we offer guest complimentary overnight parking (from 5.30pm-9.30am).

All comments we receive from guests we build upon to improve our product & service. I assure you that your comments and issues that you have raised will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Buswells Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I must be one of the 'oldest' Buswells guests; I have been staying there on every trip to Dublin since 1981, except for the time in the late '90s when the hotel was having its Celtic Tiger renovations. I love Buswells, and here's why: intelligent, polite, sensitive, friendly staff, especially Barbara the waitress, Kathleen in Housekeeping, and Vicki, Johnny, and Mary at the Reception Desk. I also knew the two Paddys who were the concierges at various times over the past 30 years or so; there doesn't appear to be a concierge now. Buswells Bar is my favorite spot in the world, and I'd have my ashes scattered there if it were sanitary and legal, which it probably isn't. I love tea in their dining room, and I love lunch, tea, or snack in the Bar. The rooms are uneven in quality, and you have to know the numbers of the ones you want and the ones you don't want. For me, the small, odd rooms are worth suffering with for a night or two because everything else is just the way I like it. I've often wondered how to get the attention of a manager there, and I see that Mr. Paul Gallagher is responding to these messages, so I'll say to him: *why* did you replace the wonderful *red* rugs with *brown* ones?? They look terrible. The red rugs looked so much better in every way. The brown ones are dreary and ugly. Oh and btw the name I write reviews under is a family name but not my personal one, so you won't find a 'Janet' who stayed at Buswells recently. But if you want to correspond, include your email and I'll write back under my real name. Oh, and one more suggestion: it would be good to have the option of brighter lamps in the rooms so guests could read more easily. All for now, and see you when I'm back for what will probably be my 76th stay.

Room Tip: Keep a record of the numbers of the ones you like and the ones you don't like.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank janet g
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Janet G,

Many thanks for your lovely review of Buswells Hotel. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay for the last 31 years and we hope to continue welcoming you for many more years.

I have passed your lovely comments to all our staff. We get alot of extremely positive comments about our friendly and helpful staff and we take great pride in this.

When you are reserving a room for your next stay, please mention that you would prefer brighter lamps and I will ensure that this in place for you.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at info@buswells.ie or by dialling 353 1 6146500.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Tried to have the Carvery Lunch in Buswells Hotel today. When we arrived at the carvery counter at around half one it was deserted. A lady was buzzing in and out of the kitchen through the carvery area and was ignoring us. Several minutes passed no one appeared from the kitchen. Another lady behind was hailed with the same result: no reaction. A nearby small table was crowded with dirty cutlery: a lot in fact!

We talked about this later (over a nice enjoyable lunch nearby) and agreed that the Buswell display looked tired, cold, and unappetising. One serving dish was 90% empty and had not been replaced and no sign of heat emanated from the other dishes. The remains of the pork joint was small and the beef large, it looked burnt, and perhaps was not appealing to the diners.

Finally Lady Buzz was asked if someone might serve us and she snapped as us that she would deal with the issue when she had a minute. We looked at one another and left the area.

At the door I spoke with the gent at reception regarding the matter, but I got the impression since my face was to the exit door, he wasn't interested in what I had to say, or in getting a manager to speak with me.

Will we be back? No way whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lazarian
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Good Afternoon Lazarian,

I would like to firstly apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced in your recent visit to Buswells Hotel. Please be assured that the comments that you have made will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

Buswells prides itself on the high level of customer care and on this occasion we fell short. Should you wish to discuss your issues further please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel.

I sincerely hope that you do choose to visit with us again in the future as we would love the opportunity to renew your faith in us.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Great example of Georgian style decor and architecture. Location is perfect for exploring Dublin on foot. Grafton street , Dublin Castle and Trinity College are practically around the corner. The rooms are small and tired. However, the bed is new including duvet style bedding. There is no air conditioning so if you need to open the window in your room it can be quite noisy from the street. Perhaps asking for a back room would correct this. We ate breakfast one morning at the hotel. However, I would recommend eating elsewhere... Better selection and cheaper. We ate at fixx coffee shop and carluccios which are right near the hotel. Also just make sure at check out to review the bill thoroughly. Both bills in the party had issues with being over charged when we had alresdy pre paid. Overall it suited our needs of wanting comfortable accommodation in the heart of Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear doingstuff,
Thank you for posting a review of Buswells Hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will be looking into the issue raised regarding your payment and taking corrective actions where necessary.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the Buswells Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Great hotel, in super location with a very reasonable price tag. It's a little old fashioned but I love it. My only concern was the left luggage seemed somewhat insecure ( I had a bag stolen from another hotel one time when I left my luggage in a similar set up so...once bitten twice shy I guess!!) However the lady at reception assured me that Buswells was the safest hotel in Dublin!! Being across from the Dáil probably helps! Great location, great price..I will stay here next time I'm in the big smoke!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FJNM
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

FJNM, thank you for taking the time to post your review of Buswells Hotel following your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. All comments are important to us as it enables us to improve on our product & service that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Buswells in the near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

his Place is one of the most welcoming classic hotels I have ever experienced. My room was very cozy and neat. I did not want to leave. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. They (especially Niki) were always happy to answer my questions about Dublin. I hope to stay again this year.

Room Tip: The sinle rooms are of good value
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael H
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Michael H, Many thanks for your review of Buswells Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to welcome you again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Buswells for the six nations, from checking in early on friday
to the hotel looking after our luggage for a late flight on the sunday, nothing was a
problem for the very professional staff. Room spacious, clean & comfortable.
Bathroom spotless. Breakfast very good & bar area cosy. Location in a quite
side street short walk to shopping & bars. Overall a pleasent & enjoyable stay
highly recommended & when we return it will be the Buswells.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank STEVAS67
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Stevas67, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again in the future.