“convenient location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
cardiff
“convenient location”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

stayed for 3 nights in March for business and paid about 86 euro a night including continental breakfast. great location, right off the corner opposite national museum and leinster. took aircoach from airport and got off kildare street then 1 minute walk, the bus stop is directly opposite the hotel, return ticket 14 euro. check in at 1400 and been told the room won't be ready for another 30 minutes, and i should have a walkabout; they said they can keep my luggage and have it in the room when the room is ready, inconvenient but nevermind, i wandered to dawson street and have lunch, still carrying my handbag and laptop and valuable stuffs that i didn't want to leave in reception. went back after lunch and went up to my room, to my pleasant surprise, the room was bigger than usual, with two big windows looking out to molesworth street, plenty of light. the room was clean and smell fresh, have a big safe inside wardrobe big enough to put the laptop in, have flatscreen tv but only 18 channels, have tea coffee making facilities, hairdryer, toiletry was nicely presented with soap shampoo shower gel and body lotion, shower cap. also have trouser press. unfortunately no fridge. internet was free but need to get a new code everyday so that was very inconvenient. the connection was inconsistent, first night it was superfast, then next night it kept cutting off, not good when i was talking on skype; the third night it kept cutting off again then code expired, it was midnight and i was in pyjama, frustrated but couldn't be bother to go to reception and asked for a new code, the connection was crapped anyway. reception and restaurant staff were friendly and personable. room decor was very dated and would do with a freshen up. decor style was more of a conventional one but suit well with the building style. breakfast buffet was bad, not much choice, may add a few more euro to get the irish cooked breakfast but i need to lose weight so sticked to continental healthy option. the bathroom over the sink light was not working, hot water took a while to heat up, need to run the shower for a minute or two before jumping in. the water stopper in wash basin was missing, although there is a black plastic plug provided, small objects such as jewellery or make up item could easily fell into the big dirty hole in the middle of the sink, there was nothing to stop them, so i use the black plastic plug to half plug in just to form a barrier to stop thing dropping into the drain. awkward. bathroom design was also poor, have undefined corner that was no use, yet not enough surface space to put makeup bag or even hooks to hang towel near the shower. providing some sort of shelf in the empty awkward corner next to wash basin would do the trick, i had to put my makeup bag on the flush tank over toilet, disgusting. acoustic was poor, could hear alarm gone off from parking car along the street every night. also there was a water pipe going through the corner of the room and when room upstair used the shower, water sound really loud in the room. however, apart from all these defects, the bed was very comfortable, the hotel was good overall and i will stay again just for the location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank rebecca m
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you Rebecca M for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent stay at Buswells Hotel.

All comments are important to us as it enables us to improve on our product & service that we offer. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Buswells in the near future.

Paul Gallagher.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Trenton, Georgia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

If your looking for a classy hotel with a great staff and central location, then look no further. My DW and I thought that our stay at Buswell's was just grand. Vicky at the front desk could not have been any more attentive and helpful. The staff as a whole were top-notch. The hotel couldn't be in a better location, two blocks from Grafton Street, three from Temple Bar, and across the street from some of the most beautiful government buildings in the city. We will make all our future stays in Dublin at The Buswell's.

Room Tip: unlike a lot of european hotels, the rooms are big and they have a lift.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you princephiphi for your wonderful feeback following your recent stay at Buswells Hotel.
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and made use of the location and facilities of Buswells Hotel. If you ever return to Dublin we would love to have you stay with us again.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I thought Buswells was a great hotel! I disagree with those who question it's price, as it's got a phenomenal location and is quite clean and nice!

The staff was wonderful! They were always eager to help us out and give us their input. They were MORE than willing to accommodate us with a check out that was a little bit later than the posted time, due to the time of our later flight. Even with the Saint Patrick's crowd, they never neglected us or brushed our questions off! Upon check out, there was a billing discrepancy that I brought to the attention of the staff, and they were more than willing to investigate and get it straightened out! I can safely say out of all of the hotels I've stayed at that I can remember since I've been a "grown up", Buswells has had BY FAR the absolute BEST customer service!

The room was quite nice and comfortable. The bathroom in our room was actually quite modern as well, despite what a previous review said!

All in all, we had a lovely experience and if we go to Dublin again, we would have no problem staying at Buswells.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WannaBeAnIrishGirl
Dear AngelaMichelle1979,

Many thanks for posting a review of your recent stay at Buswells Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you found our staff wonderful. We get alot of extremely positive comments about our friendly and helpful staff and we take great pride in this.

Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future please feel free to contact the hotel reservations team to arrange a booking, and we look forward to welcoming you back

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was not a bad experience by any means. The hotel is clean, old obviously, but there were a few problems. Funny thing is the bathrooms, completely outdated and not modernized at all, have several negative comments on booking.com. I had the same problem and pointed it out upon checkout, the woman looked at me as if this was the first time she heard this???? ah come on I said you have several comments on the site stating the same problem. Immediately she said yes we do, but the building is old. First she looks surprised and in a half a second she caves??????????????????? The breakfast was extortionatly priced even by Irish standards, as was the bar. Our bar bill for 2 people was the same price as the hotel bill. The service in the same bar was shocking, I had to track down bartenders. They were out of stock, ie cream. No Irish coffee's to be had. We went just down the street to Carluccio's for breakfast, not cheap either but fabulous, certainly better than here. Parking, there is none, well if you check in after 6pm and out before 8am they will comp a nearby multi story parking lot. I checked in at 3pm and out at noon, parking cost me 30 Euro and that was after he took off the overnight charge the hotel would cover. Also there were very drunk guests screaming and laughing in the hall outside my room at 3am. Did management appear? No. Did they apologise when I pointed this out? No. Will I be back. Never.

Room Tip: dont stay here, thats a good tip.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear sandraorourkeglynn,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations. We have recently started some refurbishment within the Hotel and although we are not a modern hotel we do maintain our facilities to a high standard.

With regards the Breakfast we have reduced our Breakfast cost from €17 to €10 as a special rate to all residents, this price includes both the continental & the Full Irish. Unfortunately Buswells Hotel has no carpark due to our City Centre location so we offer guest complimentary overnight parking (from 5.30pm-9.30am).

All comments we receive from guests we build upon to improve our product & service. I assure you that your comments and issues that you have raised will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Buswells Hotel again in the future.

Anon
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I must be one of the 'oldest' Buswells guests; I have been staying there on every trip to Dublin since 1981, except for the time in the late '90s when the hotel was having its Celtic Tiger renovations. I love Buswells, and here's why: intelligent, polite, sensitive, friendly staff, especially Barbara the waitress, Kathleen in Housekeeping, and Vicki, Johnny, and Mary at the Reception Desk. I also knew the two Paddys who were the concierges at various times over the past 30 years or so; there doesn't appear to be a concierge now. Buswells Bar is my favorite spot in the world, and I'd have my ashes scattered there if it were sanitary and legal, which it probably isn't. I love tea in their dining room, and I love lunch, tea, or snack in the Bar. The rooms are uneven in quality, and you have to know the numbers of the ones you want and the ones you don't want. For me, the small, odd rooms are worth suffering with for a night or two because everything else is just the way I like it. I've often wondered how to get the attention of a manager there, and I see that Mr. Paul Gallagher is responding to these messages, so I'll say to him: *why* did you replace the wonderful *red* rugs with *brown* ones?? They look terrible. The red rugs looked so much better in every way. The brown ones are dreary and ugly. Oh and btw the name I write reviews under is a family name but not my personal one, so you won't find a 'Janet' who stayed at Buswells recently. But if you want to correspond, include your email and I'll write back under my real name. Oh, and one more suggestion: it would be good to have the option of brighter lamps in the rooms so guests could read more easily. All for now, and see you when I'm back for what will probably be my 76th stay.

Room Tip: Keep a record of the numbers of the ones you like and the ones you don't like.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank janet g
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Janet G,

Many thanks for your lovely review of Buswells Hotel. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay for the last 31 years and we hope to continue welcoming you for many more years.

I have passed your lovely comments to all our staff. We get alot of extremely positive comments about our friendly and helpful staff and we take great pride in this.

When you are reserving a room for your next stay, please mention that you would prefer brighter lamps and I will ensure that this in place for you.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at info@buswells.ie or by dialling 353 1 6146500.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Co.Dublin
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Tried to have the Carvery Lunch in Buswells Hotel today. When we arrived at the carvery counter at around half one it was deserted. A lady was buzzing in and out of the kitchen through the carvery area and was ignoring us. Several minutes passed no one appeared from the kitchen. Another lady behind was hailed with the same result: no reaction. A nearby small table was crowded with dirty cutlery: a lot in fact!

We talked about this later (over a nice enjoyable lunch nearby) and agreed that the Buswell display looked tired, cold, and unappetising. One serving dish was 90% empty and had not been replaced and no sign of heat emanated from the other dishes. The remains of the pork joint was small and the beef large, it looked burnt, and perhaps was not appealing to the diners.

Finally Lady Buzz was asked if someone might serve us and she snapped as us that she would deal with the issue when she had a minute. We looked at one another and left the area.

At the door I spoke with the gent at reception regarding the matter, but I got the impression since my face was to the exit door, he wasn't interested in what I had to say, or in getting a manager to speak with me.

Will we be back? No way whatsoever.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lazarian
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Good Afternoon Lazarian,

I would like to firstly apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced in your recent visit to Buswells Hotel. Please be assured that the comments that you have made will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

Buswells prides itself on the high level of customer care and on this occasion we fell short. Should you wish to discuss your issues further please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel.

I sincerely hope that you do choose to visit with us again in the future as we would love the opportunity to renew your faith in us.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Great example of Georgian style decor and architecture. Location is perfect for exploring Dublin on foot. Grafton street , Dublin Castle and Trinity College are practically around the corner. The rooms are small and tired. However, the bed is new including duvet style bedding. There is no air conditioning so if you need to open the window in your room it can be quite noisy from the street. Perhaps asking for a back room would correct this. We ate breakfast one morning at the hotel. However, I would recommend eating elsewhere... Better selection and cheaper. We ate at fixx coffee shop and carluccios which are right near the hotel. Also just make sure at check out to review the bill thoroughly. Both bills in the party had issues with being over charged when we had alresdy pre paid. Overall it suited our needs of wanting comfortable accommodation in the heart of Dublin.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear doingstuff,
Thank you for posting a review of Buswells Hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will be looking into the issue raised regarding your payment and taking corrective actions where necessary.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the Buswells Hotel again in the future.