“Wonderful hotel right in the center of everything”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #23 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Wonderful hotel right in the center of everything”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Following the advice of contributors to the Dublin Forum, I booked a room at Buswells. I had been forewarned that rooms at older hotels in central Dublin tend to be small, so I was not surprised by the limited space in my single room. The bathroom, in contrast, was quite large and stylish. When I return to Dublin, I will definitely stay at Buswells again. The entire establishment exudes charm--it's a hotel with real personality. Everyone I came into contact with went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I did have some ongoing trouble getting a wifi connection for my ipad, but one of the people at the front desk spent 20 minutes helping me get it to work.

Another plus is the location. St. Stephen's Green, Grafton Street (shopping), Trinity College, and Temple Bar are all within a 5 minute walk. The hotel is right in the middle of everything--but on a quiet side street. I left my window open at night (the heating was a bit strong) and was not disturbed at all. Buswell's may not be as elegant as some more expensive hotels in the area, but it offers its own sense of style at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank balibeachboy
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Bailibeachboy, Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Buswells Hotel.
Thanks again for your comments and hope we will see you again in Dublin soon.

Paul Gallagher.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Thai first
Cork
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

Having compared a few hotels in this vicinity I would recommend this place. staff were extremely friendly and helpful on arrival. Rooms a little old style but in keeping with the building and very clean and comfortable. Also free wifi access.
Overall better value than some nearby competitors and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Snaz72,
Many thanks for posting a review of your recent stay at Buswells Hotel. I am glad to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We get alot of extremely positive comments about our friendly and helpful staff and we take great pride in this.
Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future please feel free to contact the hotel reservations team to arrange a booking, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 15 May 2012

After 2 weeks driving thru Ireland, Buswells was a lovely end to our trip. The location is very central to Trinity College, the museums, shopping and the hop-on-hop-off buses. We loved the Old World feel and the funky nooks and stair cases. Tea in the parlor was a treat. The staff was helpful and friendly. My daughter and i were even given a larger room when we asked to be moved from the first room on the maintenance level. We would differently recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you Countrygalks for your recent review of Buswells Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location perfect.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Singleton, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in January and found Buswell's to be ideally located and a great hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful, rooms were comfortable and classy and had everything we needed. After staying in some very cold soul-less hotels Buswell's was a nice change. If you want a centrally located hotel with loads of character, Buswells is the pick!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
BenJessW, Many thanks for taking the time to review Buswells Hotel following your stay with us in January.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Buswells Hotel & would like to thank you for your kind feedback about the hotel & our friendly team.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 May 2012

You cannot beat the location of Buswell's. It is within walking distance of all of the major attractions as well as across the street from the National Library and the National Museum of Ireland and just a block from St. Stephens Green. The airport bus drop-off is across the street from the hotel. We had dinner in the bar one evening and the food was very good. I would definitely stay at Buswells again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you DiCalif for taking the time out to write this review on TripAdvisor.
We are really happy that you had a good time and really enjoyed your stay in Dublin recently. It is great to read that you found our location ideal with so many attractions within walking distance.
I look forward to hopefully seeing you back with us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed for two nights in a triple room (no.301?) overlooking some rooftops and an office building in late March. The room was spacious, close to a lift but quiet, nice just maybe slightly on the shabby side. The bathroom had nice toiletries but was a little outdated and had very low ceiling (i.e., felt slightly claustrophobic). The beds were comfortable, my only complaint was that all pillows were thick and firm (I prefer soft and thin so ended up sleeping without one - not the most comfortable option). However, overall, the hotel was cozy, full of character and charm. Breakfast was not included in our deal, so I cannot comment on the food or service. The reception staff and the barman were both very nice (we had tea in the lobby before leaving). The location could not have been better - everything was walking distance and the neighbourhood itself was very clean and safe. I would stay in Buswells Hotel again and would recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: There seems to be a trade-off between rooms that are quiet and rooms that have better views. Those...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LTUSASE
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear LTUSASE,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor.
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and made use of the great location of Buswells Hotel.
If you ever return to Dublin we would love to have you stay with us again.

carrickfergus
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stay in Dublin frequently and happened to be put up at Buswells by the company with whom I was working on this occasion. I doubt I will stay anywhere else in future - in fact as the title says I would almost prefer not to write a review so we could keep the secret of this excellent little hotel to ourselves - but I guess that wouldn't be fair, so here goes:
The location is excellent. Opposite the Government building so politically interesting and full of cabinet members and journalists. Close to the dart (train), close to Brown Thomas (Ireland equivalent of Harrods) and the best shopping, eating and drinking in Dublin. It is also a very safe area and close to other historical, tourist and university areas.
The Hotel is basically five old georgian houses pulled into one building, retaining the charm and usefulness without appearing higgle-de piggledly. The basement is full of small rooms which can be booked for meetings, the lobby is elegant but cosy, comfortable and good to watch the world go by. Bedrooms are spacious, beds are huge and very comfortable.
If you don't want to eat out as I didn't - I had too much preparation work to do for the following day - you can eat in the bar or in the restaurant. I was dining alone that night and decided as prices are not much different and the bar area looked busy, to eat in the dining room, I didn't want to take up a table for four in the bar and keep others waiting/feel pressured (by myself) to be quick and jump up immediately after the meal.
It was an excellent decision, I was beautifully looked after - provided with a newspaper to read while I waited for my food to be cooked, topped up with iced water as soon as I finished, given warm artisan breads and fresh local butter to eat while I was waiting although I was only having one course and gently reminded to rest a while after eating and before going back to my room to work!
I chose a steak as I reckon the quality and the way steak is cooked tells you pretty much all you need to know about a restaurant. It was the nicest I've had for a very long time, perfectly cooked as I asked for. I like mine very rare, verging on bleu and this is sometimes not a good option but here it was perfectly cooked and the accompanying vegetables absolutely gorgeous. Breakfast was the same, I had a kipper, a colleague had scrambled egg and smoked salmon beautifully presented and the other a perfect omelette. The food is all fresh and locally sourced.
If you want to eat out, some of the best eating places, from restaurants to bars, cafes to bistros at all prices levels are pretty much within walking distance, or if all else fails you can take a taxi - Dublin taxi drivers are fantastic and if they realise you are a visitor usually give a running commentary about what you are passing on your journey.
The Hotel staff are just what you want at an hotel, charming, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about local things, places to go things to see, theatres etc., and places to visit further afield. I am about to book a couple of nights for my husband and me to have a break to shop and watch rugby and will definitely be booking Buswells rather than any of our previous hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank oldladytraveller
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear oldladytraveller,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us at the Buswells Hotel & would like to thank you for your kind feedback about the hotel & our friendly team. Our aim is to surpass our guests expectation and offer a ‘home away from home’.

We look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again in the near future.