“Weekday Lunch, Well worth the detour”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Weekday Lunch, Well worth the detour”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Over the years I cannot count how many times I have had lunch in Clontarf Castle,The food has mostly been good but there have been times when I just wished someone would care a little more about the cooking and presentation of the food along with selecting a menu that reflected our wealth of wonderful products here in Ireland. On my last couple of visits the lunch menu has been quite tasty. The lounge area in the castle where the buffet lunch is served has such a pleasant ambiance and such polite staff that it is well worth a detour.. The room itself has a medieval theme with dark wood furnishings, an oak floor, two huge carved stone chimney pieces and heavy brocade drapes complete the look which is a nice occasional change from the contemporary feel to most cafes and restaurants.

2 Thank DublinClare
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review. I am so glad to hear how much you have been enjoying the food in Knight’s Bar and also how impressed you are with the service of our dedicated bar staff. As a valued customer your feedback is very important and helps us to continue to improve upon the standard of service we strive to provide. I hope we continue to see you on a regular basis.
Mark Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I recently had the Best stay ever in Clontarf Castle on the 1st April, oh and this isnt an April fools joke,lol.. From the minute we arrived the atmosphere was so warming, the interior blew us away..We stayed in an executive room, Wow it was like a mini suite, so so impressed with Our stay, we sure will be back..Could I also mention the Friendly staff in Knights Bar, especially Dympna, she was one of the nicest ladies we meet, A great Embassador for Clontarf Castle, she needs a pay rise.. Breakfast was also beautiful and the staff were excellant...You made Our stay Special, ThankYou All.. Clontarf Castle, was a great experience we did feel like King and Queen on Our stay, the staff couldnt have been any more helpful, the atmosphere was so warming, I didnt want to leave..A definate must stay, You wont be disappointed..Mary and Vic..Northern Ireland..

Room Tip: Up grade to an Executive room,its not that expensive, its like a mini suite, so much room to relax i...
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was a nice place to stay. We were hoping for more of a castle feel which this place lacked. All the modern updates has you forget you are in a castle. We have stayed in old castle before and I know from experience. Amenities were great. Hotel and rooms super clean and comfy. Restaurants inside were top notch but hard to get into because they were busy. Ate at the bar and food was really good. Took 12 euro cab ride to pubs in town.

Would have given "excellent" but staff will not go out of their way for you unless you ask them to and wanted more of a Castle feel. This is a busy place with a restaurant, bar and club. Also had a charity event with a live bang going on in anothe area. Breakfast was really good and added to the value greatly.

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I was glad to hear how impressed you were with your room, the amenities and the bar & restaurant. I do hope you had a fantastic stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time in the future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

An away from the city center hotel with lot's of tradition in the building, contrasted by the modern high quality rooms which are supurb. The fixed price restaurant menu for around 20euro is great value with locally sourced produce featured. The downstairs bar offers a snack menu as well, and when I've been there has had agreat atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the lovely review. I was so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were with everything from the hotel décor to your room and the food in the restaurant. I hope you had a truly enjoyable stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is now a very good hotel, particularly since it was refurbished.It has retained the "castle" features but has added the modern wing which is fitted out to a very high standard. The staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel was very busy during our visit but we were still got very good service. The only quibble we had was that the dinner menu was a little restricted . However the food was very good.

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the wonderful review. I am so glad you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently and I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with everything from the staff to the décor of the hotel. I hope you had a wonderful trip to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I just stayed at Clontarf Castle Mar 29/29 2012 with my mother and brother. As a Travel Professional on vacation, I don't ever stop working! I was curious about Clontarf Castle, being a castle/hotel experience so close to Dublin city. This was my third trip to Ireland and I was so very happy with my stay at Clontarf Castle. The Castle itself has an interestitng history and the room we had was very comfortable. Our included breakfast was very good, our last day we had to grab breakfast at 6:30 am since my driver was picking us up at 7:00am for the airport. The woman who served us was so lovely , she overheard me say how much I loved the Irish Soda bread. Came back from the kitchen with several pieces backed up in tin foil to take away ! I was blown away by that attention to detail and her gesture. We ate a few times at the pub " Knight's Bar" the food was very good as well. I will tell you the most memorable and wonderful part of our stay was having the pleasure of meeting " Eric , the Concierge ! ". Eric is a total stand out, he is the standard by which all Concierges should live up to. Eric is just outstanding, personable, helpful, attentive, just an absolute delight ! I wanted to bring him home with me , but he is very happily married.
I must say the staff at Clontarf Castle are all very good, but Eric makes me want to come back !
I will be delighted to send ALL my Dublin / Ireland bound clients to stay at least one night with you.
The experience was so very special, I will never forget my trip to Ireland.
Thank you so much Eric for all the attention you gave my family.
Cheers,
Maria Saenz - Montrose Travel

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us and I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with everything from the food to the service. It was also very nice to hear how Eric, our dedicated Concierge could help you with everything you needed and I’m sure he will be elated to hear your kind words. I hope you had a very memorable trip to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle upon your next return.
Richland, Washington, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My family and I stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel for two nights in March 2012. We had the pleasure of being hosted by Eric, the Concierge. Eric was so wonderful. He helped us find tours, gave us directions, found us transportation, shared a few good tales, and was always on hand with a wonderful happy smile and good cheer. He really does the Irish people, and Clontarf Castle Hotel, a marvelous service and representation. I got up at 11 p.m. at night remembering I needed to send an e-mail and walked down the hall to find a computer. There was Eric, ready to help. We would go back to Clontarf to stay just to visit Eric! Thanks for making our last two days in Ireland so fabulous!

Room Tip: We had two rooms - one was a triple and one a double. The triple was handicap accessible, and was ve...
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us recently and it was great to hear how our dedicated Concierge Eric could assist you with everything. I hope you had a fantastic visit to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time soon.