See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 15, 2015 via mobile

Booked a hostel as it was cheaper for a group of us who were visiting dublin.
Hosts were so nice! Attentive and happily aided us with requests.
Rooms were so so. Bunk beds were creaky and mattresses were basic. Personally I didn't sleep well due to being uncomfortable. The hairdryer supplied broke and so did the additional one we requested.
Overall the hostel is decent and location is a short walk from graft on street and the main attractions. Just feel it needs maintaining better with a few improvements.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2015

I have been 4 days with my boy friend we had a double room with twins beds but there were clean and comfortables !! the staff who work there Jaan and Urve lovely , nice and kind people always available to help us in all we needed. quality price very good , nice breakfast , nice position to the town just 25-30 minutes walking very good connected from the airport bus n.16 the stop just in front of the hostel. for sure i will come back!!

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2014 via mobile

Myself and three friends, including my girlfriend, are right in the middle of our stay here. On the first night, we got upgraded to a double and a twin room because the heating was broken - this was done with no inconvenience to us. Both were exceptionally comfortable, facilities were clean.

The only feature that's a disadvantage is that hot water stops at 10am. Breakfast is basic - but for the price, can't complain when there's three types of cereal and unlimited toast, tea and orange juice. Really excellent value for money, €300 divided by four people for a four night stay.

Very friendly and welcoming proprietor.

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2014

This summer & fall I stayed at the Harrington House Hostel on three separate occasions - in early July, mid July, and early October. The first time was with my parents (80 and 85) and my sister, brother-in-law, and their two children (11 & 14). The second time was myself and my two parents. The third time it was just me on my own. Each time we found the staff to be excellent - from the time of first contact through arranging taxi and boarding passes for leaving. Through the summer I spent time in a number of other hostels - all in Scotland - so have a good recent basis for comparison. Definitely the airport bus taking you right outside the door of the hostel is a bonus and is very affordable (3.05 Euro - have exact change for bus when you leave airport!). There is a small Spar shop within 200 m of the hostel and one of my favourite pubs in Dublin about 500 m away (The Bleeding Horse - dates back to the 1600s). Also a bank, Indian restaurant, fish and chip joint, etc. It is a bit of a hike to get to the downtown and Temple Bar, etc - but if you like walking, as I do, then that's not a problem. The rooms are basic, the breakfast is very basic, but everything is clean and functional. The fact that we/I stayed there 3x over a few months is an indicator that we found it very acceptable and I would stay there again on a future trip to Dublin.

Room tip: Room 1 at the very top of the hostel is quieter in terms of street and within hostel noise. It's ideal for a couple or solo. Larger family rooms are in the basement, which are also a bit quieter. I had one room on the second floor facing the main street which was definitely the noisiest in terms of street noise and hearing other people moving around the hostel.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AVeitch
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Airport bus stop right out front was nice. The walk to downtown was a bit long - about 20-30 minutes depending how fast you wanted to walk. But there was food/stores/sights to see much closer to the hostel. The rooms were clean and decent sized. We are a family of 5, so ended up in 2 rooms. The rooms were not next to each other (actually 2 floors apart). That wasn't that big of a deal, while we are a family of 3 child, all of us are adults, so no actual need to be side by side. There is only hot water for a couple hours in the morning and evening - not a huge deal as that is when most of us shower. My youngest sister and I stayed in a double in the basement and my middle sister and parents were in a triple on the 2nd floor. Our room was damp and musty with a tiny bathroom - if anyone larger than a size 2 stayed in that room, there was no way they'd be able to used the toilet or turn around in the shower. My parents room was much nicer - more ventilation and bigger bathroom (of course being a hostel, still small, but much better than the one in the basement). While we were there the weather was warm for Dublin, so they hardly ran the radiators, however my family traveled in from where our weather was about 40 degrees F warmer so we were freezing with no way to warm it up. We kept shutting our windows, but when staff came in to clean/give new towels, they'd open them back up. I understand it was a bit musty and they may have been trying to alleviate that, but we'd come back from a day out exploring and our room would be freezing and damp. I haven't asked my parents about their beds, but my sister's and my beds were old and felt like we were sleeping directly on springs. I had to lay on a blanket to help with that, then I was cold because I didn't have the blanket on top of me. The house is very noisy - you can hear everything above a whisper. Our rooms were directly above and below the kitchen - which is where there is the most activity. In the morning we were woke up by people getting breakfast, in the evening individuals would be on their phone in the kitchen until past 11pm. Floors are wooden, so no way to walk quiet and you can hear the front door open and close as it is a huge wooden (beautiful) door that is hard to open, then slams shut.

Breakfast is a "cold" one. Toast, cereal, milk, juice, tea, coffee. We stopped at one of the many convenience stores and bought fruit and other food items to add to our breakfast. Also guests have use of the kitchen from 11am-9pm. You can make meals and store things in the fridge, we we took advantage of.

Complimentary wifi. Some areas of the hostel did not get good reception at all, but others were just fine. There is a computer in the front hallway if you need to use an actual desktop. Also complimentary hair dryers if you ask the front desk. Also included in cost of staying is use of the hostel bikes. However, don't count on that as one of your reasons for staying - 3 of us wanted to go for a ride and it almost wasn't possible. 1 good bike out of the 10-ish that were there. 1 was so rusted it took 15 minutes trying to adjust the seat. 1 the seat was so low it was like riding a kids bike, but there was no way to adjust the height. Heaven forbid if the whole family had wanted to go.

There are desks in the rooms, which I guess were a good thought for individuals who wish to write or keep a laptop, however the desks are tilted, so you can't use them for any extra storage space (which is really limited).

The staff are all very friendly and extremely helpful.

All in all, not bad for a hostel. I've heard of places much worse. If you are staying for a short time and don't plan on being in the hostel much and are ok walking or taking a bus downtown, I would recommend staying here. Otherwise, I would choose a different location.

Liked - breakfast included in the cost, complimentary wifi, decent sized rooms, clean rooms, use of kitchen, very nice staff, no smoking, good for the cost
Disliked - very loud hostel, needed fruit added to breakfast, tiny bathroom, musty (basement)

Date of stay: May 2014