See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 4, 2015 via mobile

Stayed here over NYE with 3 friends in a two bunk bed room. The hot water only works between 7am and 10am and at some point in the evening. You are given a fairly sorry looking towel for tour stay. The heating seems unpredictable. The breakfast is very very basic, white bread with toast and jam in pots that are on each table, with tea and coffee. There's some cereal too. It's about ten to 15 minutes from O'Connell street walking, the area is quiet and there's a nice BYOB restaurant around the corner.

In saying all this it cost us €50 each for 4 nights before and after NYE which is cheap! We were satisfied overall as we weren't expecting much.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2015 via mobile

Booked a hostel as it was cheaper for a group of us who were visiting dublin.
Hosts were so nice! Attentive and happily aided us with requests.
Rooms were so so. Bunk beds were creaky and mattresses were basic. Personally I didn't sleep well due to being uncomfortable. The hairdryer supplied broke and so did the additional one we requested.
Overall the hostel is decent and location is a short walk from graft on street and the main attractions. Just feel it needs maintaining better with a few improvements.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2015

I have been 4 days with my boy friend we had a double room with twins beds but there were clean and comfortables !! the staff who work there Jaan and Urve lovely , nice and kind people always available to help us in all we needed. quality price very good , nice breakfast , nice position to the town just 25-30 minutes walking very good connected from the airport bus n.16 the stop just in front of the hostel. for sure i will come back!!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2014 via mobile

Myself and three friends, including my girlfriend, are right in the middle of our stay here. On the first night, we got upgraded to a double and a twin room because the heating was broken - this was done with no inconvenience to us. Both were exceptionally comfortable, facilities were clean.

The only feature that's a disadvantage is that hot water stops at 10am. Breakfast is basic - but for the price, can't complain when there's three types of cereal and unlimited toast, tea and orange juice. Really excellent value for money, €300 divided by four people for a four night stay.

Very friendly and welcoming proprietor.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2014

This summer & fall I stayed at the Harrington House Hostel on three separate occasions - in early July, mid July, and early October. The first time was with my parents (80 and 85) and my sister, brother-in-law, and their two children (11 & 14). The second time was myself and my two parents. The third time it was just me on my own. Each time we found the staff to be excellent - from the time of first contact through arranging taxi and boarding passes for leaving. Through the summer I spent time in a number of other hostels - all in Scotland - so have a good recent basis for comparison. Definitely the airport bus taking you right outside the door of the hostel is a bonus and is very affordable (3.05 Euro - have exact change for bus when you leave airport!). There is a small Spar shop within 200 m of the hostel and one of my favourite pubs in Dublin about 500 m away (The Bleeding Horse - dates back to the 1600s). Also a bank, Indian restaurant, fish and chip joint, etc. It is a bit of a hike to get to the downtown and Temple Bar, etc - but if you like walking, as I do, then that's not a problem. The rooms are basic, the breakfast is very basic, but everything is clean and functional. The fact that we/I stayed there 3x over a few months is an indicator that we found it very acceptable and I would stay there again on a future trip to Dublin.

Room Tip: Room 1 at the very top of the hostel is quieter in terms of street and within hostel noise. It's ideal for a couple or solo. Larger family rooms are in the basement, which are also a bit quieter. I had one room on the second floor facing the main street which was definitely the noisiest in terms of street noise and hearing other people moving around the hostel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family