“It's been awhile”

Ranked #354 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$42
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: YAMAMORI IZAKAYA, located at 12-13 South Great Georges Street, Dublin 2, in what was originally Ireland's very first cafe. This old Bewleys building boasts original oriental style decor with a twist. Enjoy the 1940's Chinese and Japanese beer ads and movie posters with a great Asian beer or rice wine, and try our dublin famous homemade Izakaya burger. After your meal we have a lounge downstairs where you can catch a nice Izakaya Lycee cocktail, and enjoy some modern sounds from Dublin's up and coming DJ's. Downstairs is a Japanese style drinking house, serving small Japanese style pub food dishes with great Japanese whiskeys, beers and sake. Come for food or drinks, chill out and listen to some urban lounge deep and soul tunes. The Izakaya has a retro easy going atmosphere and is open 7 days a week from 17:30 and is available for private bookings.
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I haven't been here in awhile, it was my friends choice. I booked the table for 6.30 on a Saturday evening it was busy enough when we arrived.

We ordered Tempura sea food, it was delicious the mix had king prawns, calamari, cod and salmon. The batter was lovely and light with a soya sauce for dipping. This dish arrived first, followed by the king prawn dumplings these were also very tasty. The tempura was my favorite.

For our mains my friend got catsu curry, didn't like the way it was served it didn't look very appetizing. It was chicken in a heavy batter with rice and a large serving if the sauce. It also had a small side salad. I found the chicken to be extremely greasie and the Catsu curry sauce was not for my it was a coconut sauce with soya sauce. It was brown in colour. I was glad I didn't order it as I would have been super disappointed.

I ordered a dish and there was pork in it I asked for the pork to be left out but then the dish wasn't the same it was totally lacking a flavour of ginger which I like!

On date yes this is a nice place but the tables are really close to each other.

You could go for an evening with the family or group of friend big enough to hold large groups. I'm sure I saw a high chair too.

There are newer reviews for Yamamori Izakaya

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Had not been here for quite some time and was really looking forward to going back. Firstly we were told we could sit at the stools (I have a bad back so I asked when was the next table available because they have a lovely bar) he said "oh I don't know 930?" (It was 645 on a Friday) so we sat at stools and I sat against a wall which was fine.

We got the duck pancakes, some sushi and some dumplings.

Sushi came out within minutes, before we had finished the 8 pieces both mains came out.

Pancakes were fine
Dumplings weren't great

Before we had finished the mains they were hovering

(Just pointing out the staff were hovering and that the place wasn't even half full, also overheard the maitre'd say to another group that they would have to wait till half seven for a table)

They asked us did we want dessert and we said "ah be rude not to" mainly to get a bit of time to actually speak to each other.

Three people asked us did we want dessert so we asked for the bill and left with a hole in our pocket and not much gained.

(The venue was not even half full when we left)

1  Thank Nick C
Reviewed 6 June 2017

Wow, we tried several dishes, it was delicious. I want to move in and eat there all the time.
There are 4 Yamamori restaurants in Dublin, this one is the best. There is a bar downstairs also that has live music and samurai films on!
Very reasonably priced for Dublin.

1  Thank Lee W
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

We had friends visiting Dublin for the first time so we took them here. We had fond memories of this place from last year where Yamamori offered 5 Japas for €30 and we loved the variety on the menu (and plentiful veggie options were also appreciated).
However we were a bit shocked to find the menu was cut in half and the prices had gone up considerably. The rainbow roll for €20 was nice but for 8 pieces of sushi not good value at all and left us hungry. Same for the veggie sushi platter at €15. Charging €3 for miso soup is outrageous when that should be complimentary.
The restaurant was also a lot emptier than we remembered from previous visits... looks like it's losing it's mojo a bit.
We would normally beg you to bring back the 'beet it' cocktail with beetroot and wasabi which was amazeballs... except we don't intend on coming back.
Shame!

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Surprised by their menu and pricing change when we went there last night. Portions we were advised are now bigger, which they are however at an average of 9 euro each they're expensive. Average main course is now running at 20 plus euro per head. A bottle of white wine starts at 28 euro. Dinner for 5 with wine and drinks (no starter and no dessert) cost 240 euro. Overall we found it expensive for what it is and what we got. There's better value to be had. We're not going back.

1  Thank Ann B