“Good cheap eats”

Ranked #355 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$42
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: YAMAMORI IZAKAYA, located at 12-13 South Great Georges Street, Dublin 2, in what was originally Ireland's very first cafe. This old Bewleys building boasts original oriental style decor with a twist. Enjoy the 1940's Chinese and Japanese beer ads and movie posters with a great Asian beer or rice wine, and try our dublin famous homemade Izakaya burger. After your meal we have a lounge downstairs where you can catch a nice Izakaya Lycee cocktail, and enjoy some modern sounds from Dublin's up and coming DJ's. Downstairs is a Japanese style drinking house, serving small Japanese style pub food dishes with great Japanese whiskeys, beers and sake. Come for food or drinks, chill out and listen to some urban lounge deep and soul tunes. The Izakaya has a retro easy going atmosphere and is open 7 days a week from 17:30 and is available for private bookings.
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Have been here a few times with friends and the food is really good, particularly the gyoza. Great place to go for a quick catch up with friends and is great value. Tends to get on the loud side though but that is simply a consequence of its popularity.

There are newer reviews for Yamamori Izakaya

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Best sushi in all of Dublin- so freshly prepared and delicious- love the black rice option. Always a vibrant spot and they serve food late. Whisky sours are fantastic. But bring back the sushi burrito!!!

1  Thank Lou536
Reviewed 14 June 2017

This place was packed when we arrived. We were hungry and we saw lots of what appeared to be locals dining in this establishment, so we said to ourselves - it should be worth trying.

The food was actually pretty good. It is a bit of a fusion and not pure Japanese cuisine we were expecting. It's nonetheless pretty tasty. We tried their special Bento, a "Rainbow Roll" and a ramen dish. All are pretty good except that the roll had more rice than we would have preferred.

It's a pretty good place if you don't mind the loud background music.

1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I haven't been here in awhile, it was my friends choice. I booked the table for 6.30 on a Saturday evening it was busy enough when we arrived.

We ordered Tempura sea food, it was delicious the mix had king prawns, calamari, cod and salmon. The batter was lovely and light with a soya sauce for dipping. This dish arrived first, followed by the king prawn dumplings these were also very tasty. The tempura was my favorite.

For our mains my friend got catsu curry, didn't like the way it was served it didn't look very appetizing. It was chicken in a heavy batter with rice and a large serving if the sauce. It also had a small side salad. I found the chicken to be extremely greasie and the Catsu curry sauce was not for my it was a coconut sauce with soya sauce. It was brown in colour. I was glad I didn't order it as I would have been super disappointed.

I ordered a dish and there was pork in it I asked for the pork to be left out but then the dish wasn't the same it was totally lacking a flavour of ginger which I like!

On date yes this is a nice place but the tables are really close to each other.

You could go for an evening with the family or group of friend big enough to hold large groups. I'm sure I saw a high chair too.

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Had not been here for quite some time and was really looking forward to going back. Firstly we were told we could sit at the stools (I have a bad back so I asked when was the next table available because they have a lovely bar) he said "oh I don't know 930?" (It was 645 on a Friday) so we sat at stools and I sat against a wall which was fine.

We got the duck pancakes, some sushi and some dumplings.

Sushi came out within minutes, before we had finished the 8 pieces both mains came out.

Pancakes were fine
Dumplings weren't great

Before we had finished the mains they were hovering

(Just pointing out the staff were hovering and that the place wasn't even half full, also overheard the maitre'd say to another group that they would have to wait till half seven for a table)

They asked us did we want dessert and we said "ah be rude not to" mainly to get a bit of time to actually speak to each other.

Three people asked us did we want dessert so we asked for the bill and left with a hole in our pocket and not much gained.

(The venue was not even half full when we left)

1  Thank Nick C