“so so” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
DUBLIN , IRELAND
“so so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Like another reviewer, I booked the Hilton Dublin Airport as a Valentine's treat for my wife.

I opted for a suite, just to make it special.

Check in was pleasant, but at approx 1.30 the room wasn't ready which wasn't a big deal. We returned at 3pm and were given the keys. The suite is on the corner of the second floor and has lots of natural light. It is very spacious with separate bedroom and living area, each of which has a large flat screen tv.

Unlike the other reviewer, our suite didn't stretch to complimentary fruit and chocolates. Obviously the Valentines treats were not for all us couples!

There were a few other niggles: the minibar and pay movies were unavailable. I asked at reception and was told that because I had used a debit card to pay for the room, these facilities were unavailable. I pointed out that I always use the same card, and was quite happy to pre-pay these and for room service. This was declined and the facilities opened, with the request that I pay any outstanding charges at check out. A strange request, as this is precisely what I expect at checking out!

Other niggles were no show shine, no notepaper/pens, and the bathroom bin was out of its base. There were two balconies, but both were locked. Given the amount of visible bird droppings outside, this was no bad thing.

We ordered food from room service. The steak and fish & chips were superb: piping hot and generous portions.

We went to the restaurant for breakfast, gave the young lady our room number and followed her as she walked towards the seating area....and there we were abandoned. We chose a table and proceeded to get juice etc. As tea wasn't offered we had to call a waiter to order some, with a further request for milk. Surely these basics should be automatic, particularly as it was fairly quiet. The buffet was very good it must be said.

I hold Hilton Silver VIP status and elite status with several other hotel chains, and therefore would have a reasonable idea of what to expect from a hotel. Despite booking a suite, the level of amenities, the state of the balconies and the check in issues detracted from what was meant to be a treat for my wife. On the plus side, the food was excellent.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend last night as a last minute surprise Valentines gift. I don't live far from the hotel and had been here to eat in the main restaurant but had never stayed in the rooms. We were booked into a deluxe double on the 4th floor. It's an airport hotel so don't expect any views as most of the rooms will have views of the main road or other apartments. Check in was fine and the girl at reception was nice and helpful. The room itself was spacious and bright. little extras like fresh fruit, bottled water and chocolates were a nice touch. I had a nice sleep but the room did get quite warm during the night but there is air conditioning though we preferred not use it while we were sleeping. Only complaint I would have is that twice this morning someone tried to come into the room once at half 9 and again just after 10. Checkout is not till twelve so this just should have been checked with reception to see if we were still there and it's ok happening once but not twice. All in all though it's a really nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I was booked on a non-amendable/non-refundable basis for 5 nights and found it very pleasant with great rooms and facilites. On my first morning, driving into Dublin was a nightmare. I was late on my first day at work. Coming back was even worse: sitting in traffic for nearly 2 hours. From the car, I telephoned the hotel and asked if it was possible to change to the Hilton Kilmainham, Dublin. Despite my booking-type, the staff arranged everything very helpfully and I changed hotels that same evening. They transferred the booking so that I did not lose money, though I knew that the other hotel was more expensive and would have to pay the difference. Fair enough. I was impressed by their willingness to help and the speed with which they dealt with the problem. A very nice hotel but not for commuting into Dublin centre at peak times.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Nice place to stay if flying out early from DUB. Parking is good. The bar food is exactly for a snack. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Modena, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I agree with most of my fellow reviewers in that the location of this hotel is less than ideal. We spent quite a few euro (about 12 per trip) on cab fare to/from downtown. There is a public bus stop across the street - though I would recommended verifying the time table before walking over there. The first day we arrived on a cold, windy day only to see that it was 23 minutes to the next bus. Fortunately 100 feet away was a line of cabs in front of the shopping center. However the front desk service, room size, and their recently renovated lobby, bar and restaurant were very good. We booked using eBookers - terrible idea. The price dropped 33% after we booked and eBookers would not price match. I contacted Hilton Honors for assistance. In turn, Mike, the Hotel GM, said he could not change the rate but added free breakfast to our stay. As it turns out I think the free breakfast for four of us for the whole stay was worth more than had we booked the lower rate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rpdavid
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

First is the name. In the US it is not unusual for an "airport hotel" to be 10-15 minutes away, but it is in Europe-and this hotel's location does not get you any closer to Dublin. Second, other than a shopping mall across the street, this hotel, probably 5-6 years old built around a business park, is in the middle of nowhere. So it isn't clear why any tourist or business traveler to Dublin would stay there (unless you crave a Hilton). On the plus side, the customer service is uniformly excellent and genuinely friendly. Prices for room, food and drink are very reasonable, and the food quality is OK. The rooms are nondescript, good sized, clean and quiet, although the bathrooms are a bit small. Like bathtubs in most Hiltons in Europe, the surface is slippery. Annoyingly the windows don't open, so you have no way to cool down a stuffy room (the AC says it goes down to 19C, but does not). On balance this is a perfectly OK hotel, but not compelling. If you want to be at the airport there are truly hotels at the airport. Otherwise stay in Dublin.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Had a really early flight into Dublin but were delighted when the receptionist (Anna) dealt with us superbly and allowed us to check into our room shortly after 10.30am. This was after an enjoyable ride in the courtesy coach after a short wait.
Had an excellent breakfast for ten euros - not the best buffet but great value.
Returned late that evening for a few drinks and then had breakfast for the next two mornings. All staff we encountered were very helpful, pleasant and professional. Must single out Maria in the restaurant who manages to look after everyone and ensures they receive good service and a great welcome.
The hotel is spotless and the bed very comfortable.
My only gripe would be the housekeeping department - only one face towel for a double occupancy and no biscuit replacement for our second night. Tiny matters but if the housekeeper kept an eye on these things, it would make a difference.
There is a bus ride into the City which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but we enjoy it.
We had an excellent deal for the weekend and look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#68 of 151 in Dublin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,224 reviews
Dublin Skylon Hotel
#31 of 151 in Dublin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,711 reviews

Been to Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!