“Nice Hotel - Very Cheap and close to the City.”

Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines
Ranked #102 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Nice Hotel - Very Cheap and close to the City.”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here a few times, nice hotel. All rooms are the same. Tea/Coffee facilities. Bath/shower. Beds are ok. Close to the Luas and major bus routed into the city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Weekesian
michellemanager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Hi Weekesian,

Thank you for your kind review.

We look forward to seeing you again in he near future.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Hotel is in good location. Staff is very friendly and helpful. This Hotel needs an urgent update. Everything in the room need to be changed. Beds were old. Bed linen was dirty. But overall we where in Dublin for a night out, so the Hotel met our criteria :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Hi LNDS,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Travelodge Rathmines.

We appreciate your nice comments about our Staff and also your comment on our need to update the premises. We are in the process of updating the premises so on you next visit you will see our improvements.

Kind regards,

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here with my daughter in November for 5 nights. Firstly the distance from the city centre is walkable (approx 25 mins), but the bus service is excellent. We bought pre paid tickets at the airport which allowed us to jump on and off buses throughout the city. Well worth it in my opinion. Makes the journey to the city in less than 10 mins
The hotel is situated on the main road and bus stops are ideally situated. Rathmines itself has a few shops. Aldi, Lidl and Tescos all close by plus a mix of other shops, cafes, take aways etc.
Everything is on the doorstep that you would probably need for a short stay.
The hotel itself seemed in decent condition. The room we had was at the back of the hotel. It was quiet and reasonably clean and fairly spacious.The staff were pleasant and helpful.
The city itself as im sure everyone is aware isnt the cheapest but if you search around you can find decent quality for a reasonable price. We found a great little Italian restauarant just off Grafton Street (think it was the Steps of Rome?). A fantastic sandwich shop (Tasties) and a handy chipper just ten mins walk from hotel (Apriles). Pubs can be expensive but as anyone with experience of Dublin would know, the touristy areas such as Temple Bar will make it an expensive night out. So i tend to avoid these areas. The Foggy Dew hoiwever is close by and is a nice lively bar and prices are ok. I tend to drink by the Quays where you can get a pint of the Black Stuff for 4 euros. Fibbers is great if you dont mind loud rock music. The best of the tourist attractions has to be the Guinness brewery, Very reasonably priced and you get a free pint at the end.
Overall a great trip and i wouldnt hesitate going back to Travelodge at Rathmines on my next venture across the water

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank S M
michellemanager, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Hi S M,

Many thanks for your very kind review.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
southerner in the midlands
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We also thought this hotel would be within walking distance to the outskirts of Dublin centre but is actually a good 30 minute walk away. Usually Travelodges are, in a good way, to the same basic standard as one another and one is usually unable to differentiate between each hotel. This hotel was of an unusally poor standard. Our room was extremely dirty and smelly. It was tiny with nowhere to store a bag. I couldn't even have a shower in the tiny shower cubicle protected by a dirty curtain as I would have felt more dirty afterwards! Corridor carpets had some very dodgy stains on them. Parking needs to be prearranged to use the underground secure carpark. Bags need to be walked some distance from the car to the hotel. I know Travelodges are cheap but this standard was unacceptable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank anniebelle_2009
hi Anniebelle_2009,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

Since your stay with us a year ago this property has undergone several changes including the hall carpets which you mentioned.

Unfortunately the car park is not under our control. As these are spaces we rent from another property we cannot gain direct access from the hotel so the 2 minute walk to the reception door is necessary.

I hope you will stay with us here in Travelodge Rathmines again where you can see the many changes we have implemented since your last stay.
flintshire
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The hotel is ok if you manage to get it when Travel Lodge have the £10 room sale on. We paid £20 per night for a double room - so cant moan about that! The room and the whole hotel reaked of smoke (am not sure what the smoking policy is in Ireland, but the coridors and everywhere smelt. As none smokers who requested a non smoking room this really put us off. The curtains also has fag burns in them. Other that that the hotel was good and the staff helpful. Dont be fooled by the 'Travel Lodge City Centre' name either, it is close but i wouldnt say city centre. Turn left out of the hotel and walk 15/20mins will bring you to Grafton Street - Great for shopping, Pandora, LV, Prada, Topshop, Monsoon etc. O'Connell Street is about a 30 min walk away but you go via Grafton street so not far at all when you are in and out of shops. Their is a Lidle and Aldi on the hotel door step so good for getting bits and bobs, along with a Domino's and various other takeaways. Taxi from the airport will set you back 30e - 40e each way depending on traffic and days of the week. the best thing to do is get a return bus ticket for 10e - bargain! Their is bus stops all over the place and its easy to see what time the bus is. the bus doesnt take notes thou so have plently of change on you! I recomend the Guiness Store House and the Jamesons distillery. Will defo go back to Dublin but maybe not the Travel Lodge. P.S drinks in Temple Bar are a complete rip off 7e a pint! Can get just as nice pubs/entertainment a bit further out with normal priced drinks ")

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tatty_Tanton
michellemanager, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Hi Tatty-Tanton,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our property.

This property I am delighted to say will be a Non Smoking building from April 1st 2012.

Currently in our property we do offer a select number of smoking rooms. We confine these rooms to a seperated area, this we do so we can eliminate the smell of smoke through the building. Also our staff complete corridor walks at regular intervals to ensure smoking is not occurring in any other part of the property.

I do apologise that on this occasion that you felt the property smelt of smoke.

We do hope however that with the news of this property becoming a fully no smoking building you will visit us again in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed here because the hotel I usually stay in was booked out. First thing it is advertised as city centre hotel but Rathmines is not Dublin city centre. 10 - 15 minute bus ride to city centre. Rooms advertised at €39 but paid €47 on line. On arrival was told there was no parking available as car park was full had to use on street pay parking. This is the one and only time I have stayed at a Travelodge and I was more than surprised when I enquired about dinner and was told there was no dinner options available in the hotel. I was told if I wanted dinner I should stay in a 4 star hotel! Also no bar on site!! In the morning there is no option for a cooked breakfast either! Continental breakfast was available for €7 which brings the stay up to €54 not to mention the on street oparking which cost me €12! I actually got the impression there wasn't even a kitchen in the hotel. The room was clean and spacious in fairness. But how can this be classed as a 3 star hotel if you can't even have lunch never mind dinner. In my opinion this is more of a guesthouse. An expensive guesthouse at that. Rooms are advertised cheaply but they nail you for everything else when you get there. There's a lot better value in real 3 star hotels in Dublin.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Hi Denbod,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am glad to see you found your room both spacious and clean.

We do serve continental breakfast in our breakfast room beside our kitchen for an additional €7.00 per person and you can pre-book this on our website when booking you room. With regards to lunch and dinner unfortunately we do not provide this service, however our reception team should have recommended some of our nearby restaurants where we can offer you a 10% discount card for lunch or dinner and for this I apologise if they did not do so.

Yes indeed we have limited car parking and for this reason on our website we ask guests to contact reception to reserve their space.

We do hope that this stay will not deter you from staying in Travelodge in the future.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed in Travelodge for 3 nights in January. I booked a single room online for a rate of 47 Euros per night which was much cheaper than other hotels in Dublin. What I liked the most about the hotel is the friendliness and the helpfulness of its staff. I had a hard time paying when I reached my hotel because my debit card was not working and Michelle was of great help. It happened that my room had a garden view; I’d say it’s a pretty quiet room. The tiny problem I faced was the bed which was a little uncomfortable but my sleep was not affected in any way. I thought that booking a hotel far from city centre would be a hassle, but I did not find this as a problem since Rathmines is a really lively road and the bus stop is across the street from the hotel. I would definitely go back to this hotel if I had the chance to.

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden view