“Worst experience of my life. Book here at your own risk!!”
Review of Citi Hostels

Citi Hostels
Ranked #90 of 127 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 28 March 2016

I recently booked a night in Citi Hostel, Dublin. Myself and my partner had booked a private room online. When we arrived at the hostel, there was a man sitting on reception in a ski jacket and winter hat who told us that we had to pay him and he was transferring us to their "Sister Hostel". We were under pressure for time as we had only come to Dublin to attend an event that was starting shortly. We agreed as we had no other options, but obviously we were very annoyed that they did not use our email or phone number to contact us and let us know beforehand. The staff argued among themselves as to who would bring us to the other hostel and after at least a half hour one member agreed. We WALKED in the old, wet weather with our baggage for at least 20minutes when we arrived at, the roughest area I have ever been in Dublin. The man who had walked us there pointed down the steps to a door below the level of the road and we at that point said we would take a look but did not feel safe staying there. When we walked in, it was not a hostel, but a small apartment type place, that was disgustingly dirty. Bed was not freshly made, there was feces in the toilet and no toilet paper. We were very annoyed and tired. We now had to carry all of our luggage BACK across town, to the Citi Hostel to get our money back. We were now homeless in Dublin for the night and were forced to miss the concert as public transport did not run late enough. We tried many hotels and hostels but all were booked out (Easter Weekend). When we returned I asked to speak with the owner who was "not there". As you can imagine we were both extremely disappointed and furious at this treatment. The concert tickets were a birthday present from my partner and everything was ruined as a result of our treatment. The receptionist had the audacity to tell us that "This is how it goes". I am an Irish person who has worked in hospitality for almost 5 years and I am 100% that, that is absolutely NOT how it goes. Unfortunately I was at a loss as none of the staff would speak english and only for the fact that my partner speaks Italian, I could later piece together exactly what happened to ruin our weekend, and my birthday. The room that they had brought us to looked like it would be rented by the hour and would have expected to have caught some sort of disease from staying there. To add insult to injury, after telling us that Citi Hostel was all booked out and they could not take us, when we returned to get our money back they offered us separate beds in a dorm room for 10euro each. After travelling to dublin, dragging our baggage from one end of the city to the next and then seeing what they call their "sister hostel" we obviously did not want to risk our safety by staying. I hope that tourists to this country do not stay here and actually think that "That is how it goes" in this country. This kind of place is very much the acceptation. I have stayed in "Budget Accommodation" many, many times before and it is a palace compared to this place. Book in this hostel at your own risk!!!

Room Tip: Best tip - book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lcatherine2202

Reviewed 24 March 2016

This hostel is okay, my sister and I stayed there for five nights in March '16. We stayed in a 8 person room, and the smell was not pleasant, sweat and alcohol. It seemed like four people lived in the room, not travelers, which was weird to us. The mattresses were awful, I could feel the springs in my back through the night. One morning we saw a centipede in the shower which was disgusting. There was no hand soap in the bathrooms. There was a lady cleaning there every day which was a plus. The free breakfast was bread, butter and jam, plus tea and instant coffee. There was a door open 24/7 which resulted in cold mornings. The location is the best part about this. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

I was a little bit worried what to expect after reading the reviews on this hostel but I have to say the hostel was really good.
We shared a twin bedroom with own bath and can't complain on the room. Shower was hot and the sheets were clean.
Only 600-700 meters from st Stephens green, so no need for taxis.

The only bad thing is that the walls are very thin and other guests were extremely noisy. I've stayed in many hostels but this one took the price on worst guest behavior.

But overall, if you are travelling on a budget I would totally recommend this hostel!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visiting Dublin last weekend for a friends birthday. I booked this hostel before reading the reviews but about a week before the visit, I had a look on here and saw the reviews were pretty terrible. I was dreading it. We brought our own bedding with us as a precaution....but I have to say, the hostel was SOO much nicer than we thought. We got a private room with an ensuite. Hot water, clean sheets, generally clean room, free toast or cereal in the morning. Admittedly, the kitchen isn't too great but it's a hostel! Perhaps the previous reviewers had not stayed in a hostel before but honestly, it wasn't that bad.

I think we paid £60 each for 3 nights - which is amazing.

I would stay here again if I visited Dublin.

Oh, great location too. Very close to Camden street (not far to stagger home)

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Myself and my friend stayed here last minute due to a mishap at our previous accommodation. It was good that we found this last minute and the rates were cheap, especially for Dublin. I've never stayed in a hostel so wasn't expecting much. Luckily we had an en suite, looks like all the rooms may offer this but not sure, you would have to check with the hostel. But for me I just felt it wasn't clean, maybe if the painted and perhaps cleaned the portable heater as there was stains on it. The bathroom is tiny. There's is wifi, 24 hour reception. St Stephen's Green is located about a 10 minute walk from the hostel. It's central so you are near to everything. The closest tram stop is opposite the odeon, which is one tram stop away from St Stephen's green. All the high street shops are within walking distance and all the food shops are located nearby. Personally I wouldn't stay in a hostel again if I had the choice but if you are looking for somewhere that is just OK and it's literally a one night stay then this maybe the place for you. Hope this helps!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary-Rose O
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Stayed in November 2015 for 2 nights, thought a private double room with it's own bathroom couldn't be too bad, I was very wrong! I was hesitant after reading reviews on here, but not being a fussy person (and also being on a tight budget) decided to give it a go. Upon arrival we were grunted at by a man who definitely hated his job. This little ray of sunshine processed us by speaking as little as possible, then told us our room was upstairs and proceeded to watch me struggle with my case - no offer to help, fine, I just got on with it. The room was very basic and also freezing cold. The previous occupants had obviously been smoking in the room, as it stank, and the window overlooked a rooftop that was covered in fag butts. We plugged in the small radiator at the end of the bed and put the tv on while we got ready to go out. 99 channels all showing the same thing or nothing at all! Again, fine, we weren't there to watch TV. Shower was okay, you have to press a button to turn it on, it lasts for about 10 seconds before you have to press the button again, okay temperature though. Went out both days doing touristy things and got back late so just crashed out. Should have got suspicious when my other half insisted on sleeping on top of the duvet in his clothes rather than in the bed (I kept asking but he refused to tell me why and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong). However on our last morning as we left he lifted up the sheet to show me what can only be described as a BIG DIRTY BLOOD STAIN on the mattress. I felt sick and we left the sheets off the bed to make the maid aware (although I'm sure she already was). Same man that checked us in was there when we left so I didn't bother telling him as he obviously didn't care. Didn't have the free breakfast as the general look of the place put us off it. I will never stay in a hostel again it's not worth it I'd rather just pay the extra and at least be certain I won't catch E.Coli! AVOID!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alexandra W
Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

Used this as an overnighter. Had a three bed dorm which was squishy- especially the bathroom. If staying for more than a night it would get a bit cramped with three people in the room. However, the room and facilities were clean and tidy. The staff were friendly and the location is great. Pleasant stay all round- would book with them again.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends