“Excellent Spot to stay in Dublin”
Review of Grand Canal Hotel

Grand Canal Hotel
Ranked #40 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here for one night in April while attending a concert in the O2 and found it to be great value, the room was top class and spotless as was the bathroom. The staff were very welcoming and helpful from the very pleasant guy who checked us in to the bar staff. The hotel also provide a shuttle service to and from the O2. It is within walking distance of lots of Dublin attractions. All in all a lovely place to stay

• Stayed: April 2012
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Hello
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are all delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will get to see you again in Dublin soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Canal Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here in April 2012, everything was perfect, the staff in particular were really nice, the girl at reception was friendly and the waiter who served us at breakfast (didn't catch his name, but he did tell us he was from Poland), was particularly nice and funny.
We ended up with an executive room, even though the price was quite low (68 euro for a double). The room was spotless and comfortable and had a view of the Aviva stadium. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Grand Canal theatre. We really enjoyed staying here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and got to experience one of the newly decorated executive rooms.
Hope we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed her during a recent theatre visit for 3 reasons; the proximity to the Bord Gáis Theatre, the only rate (with complimentary breakfast) and the fact that I had stayed her before on numerous occasions for business purposes, albeit the last time was 2 years or so ago.
This was a leisure trip so we were delighted to be allocated a room on the executive floor. The soft spongey carpet gives you a feel of whats to come as you walk through the door into bright, modern and spotless rooms complete with all facilities including flat screen tv, tea/coffee, iron and ironing board, egyptian cotton bedding (so my wife said!) and even dressing gowns. A good night's sleep was had.
Before the theatre we ate in the Gasworks. As always, a hub of activity but service was fast and the food was excellent. Breakfast in the morning in the restaurant provided a good choice of hot and cold breakfasts and again no complaints.
The location is only 10 minutes from the theatre, 10 minutes from the Aviva Stadium and we walked to Grafton Street in 15 minutes.
Plus Free Parking!!
Well worth the visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank GCCo.Derry
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad to hear the newly refurbished rooms were to your liking and do hope it won't be so long before you are able to stay again soon - on either business or pleasure.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here recently when attending a concert in the O2 and I can honestly say that we totally enjoyed our stay. We had stayed here a good few years back and we were glad to see that the standards had not slipped. The underground car parking is just fantastic as parking in the area can be a nightmare with the close proximity to different venues.
The staff on reception when checking in we're very polite and helpful, and yes people might say,,it's their job but believe me when I say it was totaly genuine. We really liked the security aspect of the hotel also, as you can not gain access to the rooms without swiping your room key in the elevator to go up. The bar food was lovely and the staff were also brilliant. The room was clean and comfortable. Only problem we did have was with wifi in the room but this did not bother us to much.
We will certainly be staying here again. It was such a comfortable relaxing stay eventhough it was only for one night. Also we found out that the hotel do packages for "The Grand Canal Theatre" shows which are great and should be looked into if anyone is travelling for a show. We will certainly be keeping this in mind. I should have said "Bord Gais Energy Theatre" , but I did prefer the original name...:0)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Hello
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.
There are some great shows and concerts coming this summer so hopefully we will get to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I spent 2 evenings at this hotel as part of our CIE Tour of Ireland. Of all the hotels we stayed at, this one was the only disappointment. The location is good (about a 10-15 minute walk into the city center) but that's about the only positive thing that I recall.

Some comments:
-We returned to our room one evening to find our "message" light blinking on the phone. Though the front desk staff assured me several times that we did NOT have a message (despite the fact that we couldn't stop the red blinking light, and had to cover it to sleep), we then received a call from them in the middle of night with our message....
-We requested a continental breakfast be delivered to our room on the day we were departing for our flight back home. The delivery was about 10 minutes late, which made it too late for us to eat (we quickly shoveled some bites into our mouths before having to scramble out of our room). Considering that the time slots you check off on the room service order form are a 15-minute window (i.e. 7:00-7:15AM), I find it unacceptable that our food was still late...especially on a day when we are clearly checking out and have travel plans.
-Our room was small, dark, and very basic. It felt almost depressing to be in it.

I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that these two incidents occurred and marred your enjoyment.
I have addressed both with the night staff involved and apologise again for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Clean room & free parking, what more could you ask for?

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in February and I was pleased with the value for money that I received. The hotel is very close to the Dart station -- about a 2 minute walk, and I used the train during the daytime but didn't use it at night (I went to the station at 9:30 on a Saturday night, bought a ticket from a vending machine, and then waited in a completely deserted station --no staff, either! -- for about 10 minutes before the train arrived. It felt a little uncomfortable so I took a taxi back to the hotel later. After having lived in Japan for a long time and having just come from New York, I wasn't used to train stations with nobody in them that early in the evening, and it just felt a little eerie to me.)

The location is not dead center of town, but close enough. Again, the free parking makes it great if you have a car, but if not, there are plenty of buses, trains, or taxis to take around town. And walking to the center of town only takes 15-20 minutes.

The room was clean and I appreciated the free wi-fi. I, like others, noticed the loud guests in the hallway late at night, too. I ended up sleeping with my iPod on a "white noise" setting just so it wouldn't bother me for the 2nd and 3rd nights. It's a shame how other guests can make a great hotel a little less good.

All in all, it was a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
gmgrandcanalhotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Hello
Many thanks for your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do encourage guests to be considerate of others in the evening but are also under going refurbishment at the moment and believe elements of this will help with the noise reduction in the corridors.
Thank you again for your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again to the Grand Canal Hotel.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just spent a night here as part of the "Theatre package" they offer. This includes B&B, 2 course meal & theatre ticket.
The room was quite nice. The food was lovely, both the dinner & breakfast were really nice. Excellent quality food. Service was good.
The only drawback was the really noisy disco, which continued until 1.37 am & the lack of hot water in the shower. The water wasn't even tepid.
The staff were very friendly & helpful, even gave me plasters when I enquired if there was anywhere local I could buy some.
Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the disco as possible if you want to get a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank DublinTherese

Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry that you were distrubed by the music during the evening. This is not something that would normally cause distrubance and we will certinaly control it from now on.
Thank you again for the feedback.