See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I came here with a friend, and had picked it basically because it was the cheapest that we could both agree on. We weren't expecting a luxury hotel, and were aware that we would have a shared bathroom- but what we weren't expecting was to have a shower cubicle right in the room. Possibly a benefit, but struck me as a bit strange considering that we were in a room which had two single beds in and no room for a double bed, and therefore not meant for a couple, so in the mornings we would have to take turns sitting on the staircase outside of our room while the other showered. I could only assume that it was normally used as a single room, which brings me to my next point. The layout of the room overall was, well, weird. Did cause some bemused laughter between us. Not sure I can really explain it, but the room was narrow, with one bed horizontally placed, and then widened at the end with another bed vertically placed. Between our beds was what was supposed to be the wardrobe, only it was very shaky and I feared that a good shove would make it collapse. The walls were quite thin and we could hear what was going on in other people’s rooms. On the plus side, there was a sink in the room which we found useful. Oh, though I nearly forgot- the TV and electric socket was a little closer to the shower than we would’ve liked, and we weren’t too sure whether it met with health and safety standards.
As for the staff, we found them a bit of a mixed bag. While we didn’t find anyone to be particularly rude, we did find some of them more helpful than others. As we arrived in Dublin too early to check in, we decided to find out where it was anyway, and the lady on reception at that time suggested we leave our heavy cases behind the desk while we went off and explored, and we could come back later to check in properly. This of course was quite helpful, as we didn’t really want to be lugging our cases around. When we came back later to check in, somebody else was behind the desk and he got our details confused with someone else’s, and I very nearly signed for a Martin Somebody before realising his mistake. Also, they had a bit of an inconsistent policy about whether you take your key with you or leave it at the desk, and only found out on our third day as we were leaving. Hmm...
Breakfast was okay for us, but nothing special. We got it two minutes after we ordered, so I suspect that it came from the microwave, and consisted of sausages, bacon, eggs and beans. One morning, there was someone who was either Muslim or Jewish (I can’t remember now) who just had the egg and beans, and I did feel a bit sorry for him as he didn't seem to have much of a choice.
Overall, the location was great, as we were less than five minutes away from O’Connell Street, and could easily walk to a lot of other places in Dublin. However, I think the old adage of “you get what you pay for” applies here. We were able to tolerate it with reasonably good humour as we weren’t staying long and spent most of our days out exploring Dublin, although if we ever return, hopefully we will be able to afford something a bit better.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this guesthouse for one night. We chose it due to the website, photos, price, and location.

When we arrived, our room was on the very top floor, with no elevator (which made bringing luggage up awkward). Our first impression was that the room had a bad smell, and a view onto a burnt out church. We had ordered a double room en-suite, but the bed was smaller than a double bed. It was awkward for two people to sleep in. The bathroom was extremely small, which made it near impossible to manoeuvre in, or take a comfortable shower. There were no lockers to place TV remote, glasses, phones etc.

The location of the house was good, as it is less than a five minute walk to Connolly Station, BusAras, O'Connell St. But, aside from this, we were very disappointed in this house. For less than €20 extra we could have stayed in a chain hotel that was located very close.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My mom and I just returned from a trip to Dublin. This B&B was pretty good. Everything was clean, just outdated/tacky. And you're paying for the location - all the B&Bs/hotels in that area are very old buildings so they will all be the same. Breakfast was awesome, you got hot food; not just cereal and toast. Staff was friendly and accommodating, the called us several taxis and gave good directions. The only thing that was bad were the thin walls. Our last night we heard a couple arguing, another room snoring and party people getting back early in the morning. Sharing a toilet isn't bad - you still have your own sink and shower (although the shower pressure sucks, still gets the soap out though).

Overall not bad and I would stay there again. Typical hotel in a big city, similar to where I stayed in NYC. Enjoyed it for the most part!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We wanted a hotel close to the Connolly train station and the Avondale House was our only option for the night. It was quite expensive for a room with a miniscule shower and a shared bathroom. The price included breakfast but they do not start serving breakfast until 8am which was half an hour after we needed to depart so we did not get to try it out.

The room was a decent size but the walls were paper thin. I could hear our neighbor's cell phone ringing during the night. The noise from the street was shockingly loud even with the windows closed. The pillows were extremely thin and there were no extra pillows in the room.

The room seemed relatively clean and we were tired enough that we were able to sleep despite the noise. It was nicer than staying in a hostel but a hostel would have been a much better value.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not facing Gardiner Street
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Disgusting as soon as you walk through the door. Smells of smoke and the tiny shower that's basically on top of the bed is just a joke. Paper thin walls, could hear the guest next door snoring. Breakfast was average also.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends