“Dublin in 3 days”
Review of Dublin

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Windsor, Canada
1 helpful vote
“Dublin in 3 days”
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We arrived in Dublin after a touring car trip from Kilarney . Dublin is a busy but friendly place. Temple bar district is everything you hear about it. Lively at night with music spilling into the streets at night. Temple Bar in particular had a kick [-] band that rocked the house. The patrons wouldn't allow them to stop for the night and insisted on three more songs. The food is okay and very Irish. Don't stay south of the Levy. Lots to see north of the Levy as well. Great shopping. Only negative is that the tourists are plenty and streets are conjested with people and cars. We visited the usual sites ie: Book of Kells -well worth it. We took the hop on hop off bus and ended up at the Guiness Brewery. Free beer at the top of the brewery and an incredible view of the city. Church of Christ over 1,000 yrs old and very facinating with underground tunnels etc. Grafton St. was fun with lots of shopping and neat pubs. Again- crowded. Our last night we purchased tickets for Riverdance. A great way to end the trip. Some of the cast are still the orginal members from the first tour. Our hotel was very unusual, located across from Trinity college the Capital . Hotel is very eclectic and you feel like you are Alice in Wonderland. Small rooms and no airconditioning. But Dublin is cool at night so you don't need it. Restaurant had nightly specials and worth staying in to eat . Dublin is worth visitng but don't forget the countryside of Ireland. Unbelievable scenery. We put on 1,000. miles and loved every minute of the seaside views and villages. Had a blast.

1 Thank WindsorBelle
london
15 helpful votes
“staydublin.com”
Reviewed 10 July 2008

WE stayed at the Augustine appts in Dublin, we were very pleased with it.
The people at the desk were terriffic, very helpfull. We had a two bed appt. very clean all mod cons.
We'd stay there again, and would recommend it as a good place to stay.
On the down side, taxi drivers could not find it, so we hope they will put up a big sign soon. Also, we would have liked a welcome pack of groceries, of course we would pay for it, or even tea and coffee in the room.
Dublin was fantastic, clean, nice people, you must do the Guinness tour, you can walk to it from the appts. Also the Trinity tour, and the bus tour, all are very cheap.
We hope to go again, and will stay at the Augustine again.

1 Thank rossandyve
Inverness
64 helpful votes
“Is it really Irish??”
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Okay so we have all heard things about Dublin! The good the bad and the ugly!!
Even on my short flight over to Dublin from Scotland I was told by a regular traveller that I won't bump into any Irish.
The airport is vast and busy, very busy! A taste of what was to come!
Transport from the airport to the city and hotel was very good, efficient, friendly and regular. Cost was 1.90Eur to the hotel (Regency) which I have also reviewed on this site.
A 40 minute walk saw us in the heart of the city around 8.00pm on Saturday evening. If it had been a warmer climate I could have been in any mainland European capital. Very busy, very cosmopolitan with a lot of European feel to it; tourists, people, range of restuarants etc. The Temple Bar area was uncomfortably busy, as was the O'Connell street area. Any hope we had of a quite meal, or even a meal in a popular restaurant was a no -no! Bars and restaurants were heavily packed out. Not to worry our hotel food and drink offered excellent range, variety, and value. The hotel drink was cheaper than the pubs..not often you hear that! Apint of the black stuff will set you back around 4.80EUR in most Dublin pubs, around £4 for us brits, very pricey. And a good restaurant will set you back around 100Eur including drinks, so be prepared!!
Unless you are very rich, you will need to economise around Dublin. We stayed in a hotel slightly out of the centre, with great leisure facilities and got a great rate, we also walked into the city a fair bit although buses are cheap and regular. We ate at the highly recommended Captain America on Grafton Street. Two large main meals (just like TGI's across the road) two large deserts, two drinks and 2 cocktails, the price a very reasonable 53Eur.
Visited Trinity College and was enjoyable, St Stephens is lovely on a sunny day. Gave the Guiness factory a miss, just stayed on the ground and drank an extra pint!
All in all Dublin is a vibrant, busy, tourist destination. Devoid of most things Irish, and geared up for high levels of tourists. Is it a great location for a weekend break? Well now I have been I wouldn't revisit, I think if I want a European flavour to my weekend breaks I will go to the continent and get a bit more sun and value for my money

1 Thank stairpark
Plymouth, United Kingdom
44 helpful votes
“Great Place BUT!!!!”
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Just got back from Dublin, a short break with my wife for our anniversary.
Dublin a great place to visit plenty to do and places go.
BUT what a price!!! our accomadation was fine The Ferryman Hotel short walk from Temple Bar but not bad on a nice warm evening.Staff friendly and Helpful.Reccomend 7 out of 10.
Bottom end of price scale.
Guinness factory a must.Great view from Gravity Bar.
Viking Splash Tour great fun
Giants Causeway Fantastic.
Now back to prices. I was told that it was expensive prior to going,but when I was asked for £11.50 for a pint of Guinness and a Vodka & lemonade it did shock me somewhat.Those prices did'nt alter much no matter where you where.
The Oliver st John Gogarty was our favorite bar mainly because you had best of both music,ground floor modern 1st floor Good old Irish music.
Riverdance show at Gaiety Theatre was brilliant!
One other thing I did'nt like and I know it happens all over but I do not like it and it spoils what is a great place and that is begging.
It just seems that on every corner theres a begger.
Example:- Just outside Gaiety Theatre young girl 17/18 breast feeding baby asking for change.
Would I go back to Dublin?
Yes but this time I would take my Bank Manager
Guzply

2 Thank Guzply
Boro Boy
18 helpful votes
“Dublin's fair city”
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Just returned from 4 nights in Dublin.
This time we stayed at Days Inn, whose hard to spot tiny entrance claims, CORRECTLY, to be a "Budget Hotel". Unfortunately, I saw it on a hotel booking website and believed the 3 star rating! No way is this a 3 star. Whilst basically clean, the rooms are very cramped and Talbot Street, whilst very central, is full of cheap shops and is very noisy from the early morning traffic as it appears to be a crucial road for buses & taxis in the Dublin one way system. Continental breakfast at 8.5 euros was an absolute rip off - wait until 9 o'clock and walk down the street to Clery's department store and get much better value.

Dublin Bus 5 day rambler pass is good value(18.5 euros) .You can buy it at airport and use it to reach O'Connell Street & return to airport. Then you have use to get out & about in the city.

Dublin is very much a walker's city, though. Plenty to see & do, according to your own interests. Pubs are lively and people are very kind & friendly.
The down side is £ or $ do not go very far with current strength of euro - what the heck! It's only money!

Good value meal is Rome to Mexico in Temple Bar if you go at lunchtime. The Porterhouse Bar is beer heaven!!! The Chocolate Stout in the ground floor level is a real treat. Boccaccio, also Temple Bar, is a good spot for lunch and dinner.

Dublin's going to cost you a few bob, but enjoy it!

2 Thank Gerard F

Been to Dublin? Share your experiences!