“Do not stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Dublin, Ireland
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

My experience here was beyond horrific. The staff were curt and dismissive. The room was meant to have a view. What view it did have was of a run-down office building. The food was alright until you got the bill. When we requested a room change to fit with what we thought we were getting in the first place, the hotel staff treated like we were bums off the street trying to get something for nothing. I would not recommend a stay here at all.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank WF789
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear WF789,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was dissappointed to read your comment and whilst i would disagree entirely that my staff were curt and dismissive, i would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter in person. Our staff go above and beyond the call of duty on many occasions every day and some of these instances are documented in other reviews on this site.

My staff would never treat any guest in the manner that you suggest as we are a hospitality business which prides itself on our ability to look after people in the best way possible.

I hope that i will have the opportunity to discuss the circumstances of your stay with us and i do apologise if you feel that you expectations were not met.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Aidan Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Grat stays - comfortable beds - excellent breakfast and helpful staff in a good location to get into central Dublin.
Need to get wireless in the rooms if they are to stay up there with the best - only a wired service currently in rooms plus free wifi in public areas.

Room Tip: If you can persuade them to give you a seaview!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear gn13565,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your nice comments on the hotel and our staff and i hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again very soon.

dublin 12
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We booked a deal on pigsback with this hotel, including B&B, spa treatments and a late checkout. The hotel is located very conveniently beside the train station and also overlooking the harbour. The hotel staff were very friendly, especcially the check in staff. Our room was modernly decorated with a sitting area and flatscreen tv, and the bed was large and extremely comfortable. The spa was amazing and the staff were very attentive. The thermal suite was perfect for relaxing in and the massage's were gorgeous. We ate in Hardys Bar that night and the food was reasonably priced and good quality.I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel and spa to anyone.

1 Thank ciara_brock
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear ciara_brock,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found all of the facilties of the hotel to your liking and you found our staff to be very friendly.

Thank you for you nice comments about our spa and the staff there also. I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I stayed the night in a double room with a fantastic sea view. Room was a bit small but we didn't mind as it was just one night. The bed was blissfully comfy and the room spotless.

I had an anti-ageing facial in the Sansana spa, therapist was Lydia. It was the best facial I've ever had. The free access to the thermal suite afterward was so enjoyable and made the visit special.

We went out for dinner so I can't comment on the hotel restaurant, but the buffet breakfast was excellent. Freshly prepared fruit, cooked food, pastries and bread, cheese, juices and cereals. Waiting staff were efficient and hard-working.

We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank EibhlinF
Dear EibhlinF,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was deligthed to read that you enjoyed your stay and your treatment in our spa. Thank you for your nice comments about our breakfast buffet and our hard working staff also.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

It is very rare to leave a hotel without any complaint but this was one of those occasions. All of the staff we dealt with could not have been more helpful, especially the check-in staff. Breakfast was beautiful and the tea we had for breakfast and later beside the open fire on a cool spring evening was the best tea we ever got in any hotel. This is a perfect place for a weekend and the local theatre puts on great shows. There was some noise because of parties but apart from that it was a perfect stay. Full marks to the staff. Can't wait to get back. George

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear GulliverUlysses,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you nice comments about our staff and i am certianly very proud of what they do each day for our guests.

Thank you for sharing this with all other reviewers on Trip Advisor and I hope that we will have the opportutnity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon. If you felt any member of the staff deserves special recognition, please feel free to let me know and I will pass on your comments.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night recently as I was in the area on business. The hotel is beautiful, in a stunning location overlooking the bay and only 3 minutes walk from the DART station which will get you into Dublin city center in 20-25 minutes. (I also noticed while I was there that the AirCoach service to Dublin airport stops right outside). The hotel has many options for dining, covering everything from a cup of coffee to a three course meal, and the buffet breakfast was delicious. The room was well appointed and the bed extremely comfortable, and all in all I had a good stay.

I do however think there are areas where this hotel could really improve the guest experience. When I come away for one night I want to bring as little with me as possible, and so I left my hairdryer and toiletries (shower gel, conditioner, etc.) at home. Big mistake. The "hairdryer" supplied is not a hairdryer at all but a hose attached to the wall that wouldn't dry an eyelash, let alone the average woman's head of hair. There is also nowhere in the room to put on make-up or do anything that requires sitting in front of a mirror. The chair at the desk is too low for you to be able to see into the mirror in front of it, the bathroom mirror has the sink in front of it (so you can't get up close; and anyway the bathroom is tiny) and the full length mirror by the bathroom door doesn't have enough light to make it usable for make-up. The toiletries provided are also cheap-looking, not very nice and mean: there was a bar of soap, a small shower gel and a "conditioning shampoo" -- in a four star hotel, I'd at least expect separate shampoo and conditioner and a body lotion as well, and I'd expect them to be of higher quality. Yes, these may sound like small complaints and they are -- none of these things would put me off staying there again -- but I stay in a lot of hotels and have previously worked in the industry, and it annoys me when hotels don't consider what they're guests will actually do in the rooms they've designed.

Also: the breakfast vouchers. For the life of me I can't understand what's going on there. As I said I stay in hotels frequently and I've never been given a laminated voucher to bring to breakfast...?!? Surely when you go to breakfast they take your room number and it's added onto your bill, and you've already paid for it, great, and you haven't, you will upon check-out. Been given a laminated card in a four-star hotel is all a bit McDonald's.

I should also say that contrary to some other reviews on here, I found the staff to be excellent. I was checked in immediately and even when my agent stepped aside to print something for me, another agent immediately came over to check if I was being served. At the buffet breakfast there were 4 staff to maybe 12 occupied tables, and they were patrolling the room, checking repeatedly that everyone had what they needed. Every waiter acknowledged me with a good morning, even the ones who weren't serving me.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, but I could do so unreservedly if they paid a bit more attention to the small things.

Room Tip: At the time of booking I was given an option to upgrade to a seaview room for an extra 10 euro. I wi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank catherineh1982
Mornington, Meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I sooooo needed a night away and got a great deal with Lidl breaks, we can not fault this hotel & staff, just fantastic!! The room was the largest we have ever had and we did not hear a sound all night. We had a lovely meal in Hardy's and was so tasty. Staff were so polite & helpfull, the spa & swimming pool are just wonderful, we will def be back.

1 Thank Togaview
Dear Togaview,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all of the facilities of the hotel and I thank you for your nice comments on our staff.

We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,732 reviews

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!