“Noise was unbearable”
Review of Eyre Square Hotel

Eyre Square Hotel
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 27 November 2011

booked this hotel for a weekend away with my husband. on the first night we arrived we droppedour bags and went wandering around the city, when we came back the night club next door was in full swing, we headed up to our room only to realise that we might as well have headed into the club. it was so loud that you could actually hear the dj word for word. back ground noise is one thing but this was on another level. we contacted teh front desk who reluctantly moved us to another room, it was above the bar which had a band playing but they stopped at 12.30 so it wasnt the worst (could still hear the background noise of the club though). the second night was just as bad. on top of that the rooms are dated and dingy, in need of a serious upgrade. The location is good but it is the only thing this hotel has going for it, but at there are 6 other hotels in the vacinity who have that benefit also. Not to mention the price €190 for 2 nights with breakfast. I would have been better value, cleaner and quieter in a B&B.

on check out i mentieond that noise and the receptionist basically said its mentioned on your booking confirmation so there is nothing i can do - very rude. i checked my booking confirmation and it mentions resonate noise not a full blown disco in your room.

i would not recommend this hotel and if i was going to Galway again and it was the only place with availability i would be enquiring about camping.

Room Tip: rooms on higher floors and to the back i would imagine are quieter but we wernt given that option so...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed here on Saturday the 19th of November, There was a huge crowd around galway because Connaught were playing a rugby match. I got a very good rate as i was outbooked by another hotel. We stayed in a Room on the 4th floor. The room was small but very comfortable, clean, warm and quiet.

The staff were very courteous on check in and the following morning. I got a very good room rate which included a full irish breakfast. The breakfast room is located in the upper level of the bar. Their was a full breakfast buffet on offer which included cereals, juices, yoghurts, croissants and bread rolls.

Their was a choice of hot cooked breakfasts made to order. The waiting staff made us feel very welcome. Are room was located at the back of the hotel. Which would definitely be quieter.

The hotel is located right off eyre square. it is a two minute walk from the train and bus station. Their is a shop across the road if you want to stock up on water, snack food etc.

There is a bar food menu available in the bar in the evening time. I met friends for a dinner celebration so did not avail of this. But there was a good choice on the menu and i would say it was value for money.

Their is a night club located on the ground floor with a smoking area out the front of it. To be honest it does not matter where you stay around eyre square you will here the noise outside on the street. Galway is a vibrant city with alot happening especially on a saturday night.
i would definitely return to this hotel again.

To sum it up this hotel is in a great location, nice staff, great breakfast, comfortable nights sleep, Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ILOVEHOLIDAYS2009
Reviewed 11 November 2011

grand stay here,was amazed at the great value,was only 59 euro for 2 with breakfast,central location,and quiet during the week anyway as they do say it can be noisy at weekend but isnt during week, .

Room Tip: stayed here before a few years ago,and had my 2 small children with me so they gave us a room higher...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank evelynjermyn
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with my whole family and we took up 5 bedrooms,we if there was any discount becasue there was 10 of us in total and we were told no straight away and we asked to speak to the manager and they also said no.the receptionist was nice when we arrived at the hotel,the parking was a disaster,it took ages to find it and then its €10 for parking on top of your room price which is ridiculous for the state of the hotel.When we got room key we went to the lift to bring us the the room and we got stuck in the lift and we had a baby with us which as you can imagine is a very terrifying thing to happen, eventually when we got out of the lift my mum who was holding the baby and fell out the lift as when the lift door opened it did not level off with the floor.nothing was done about that or no staff can to see if we were ok. Got to my room eventually,it was absolutely disgraceful,it was so small you could hardly breath,the mattress on the bed wasnt even a mattress as the springs were digging into my back and we complained and were told there was nothing they could do.the TV did not work, no hangers in the wardrobe to hang up suit and dress, the bathroom was so old fashioned and there was pubic hair on the walls which shows it wasnt cleaned properly.the towels were stained and the sheets on the bed were stained aswell. They knew the we were bringing a baby and did not inform us about the loud noise downstairs from the nightclub and the baby was awake all night.the bar staff and the manager were so rude to us, they were taking our order and walking away from us at the same time, and there was nobody else around so they werent in a hurry to serve anybody else.we would never stay there again. too loud and too expensive and i owuld advise anyone not to stay there unless they wanted to be dissapointed like we all were.food was awful, we should have paid €10 extra for the 5 star next door

Room Tip: no room was quiet although we were told there would be
Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank iphone_22
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with my friend and his wife, for the Halloween weekend, as they provide only 1 room key my friends left the door ajar for me to be able to get in, while they were asleep another person, possibly a patron entered the room, stole their mobile phones and proceeded to interfere with my friends wife while they were asleep,

This caused extreme distress to my friends wife and the offender fled the scene, the hotel porters and security were notified and did not seem interested in the offense and even went as far as to blame my friends for leaving the door open.

I informed the Gardai (Police) who arrived immediately,Please note that the hotel staff did not offer to call them, the Police were astonished that the premises has no security camera's in the hotel. The arrival of the Police appeared to annoy the hotel porters who offered no assistance..

I cannot rate the room or sleep quality as I got no sleep, please think twice before booking here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank maigheo
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed a Friday and Saturday night at this hotel.The hotel is easy walking distance to the bus and train station.Our room was a nice room on the top and overlooking the bus station.We could hear the buses coming and going and the guy making the announcements had the volume turned up to the last for some reason.This was a small bit annoying But not the hotels fault.and it is a City hotel so you have to expect some noise.We did not book breakfast ( but walked to the pedestrian shopping area to a cafe called "Elles" and had scrambled egg,toast,and tea.for 9 euros for 2.people excellent value).The staff ware very nice and helpfull.The price was resonable,and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter.At the front you have the pubs and at the side you have the b...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

On Friday, 30th September 2011, I rang Eyre Square and booked a three night break with 1 meal included for my husband and I.

The lady on the desk informed me that there could be noise from a night club next door in case I might later have an issue with it. I asked for a quiet room and was offered the quietest room in the hotel (top floor, back of hotel).

We arrived Sunday the 2nd of October, and I was asked if I would like to approve the room as suitable as it was not yet ready. I came back alone later to have a rest, and the receptionist kindly offered to let my husband in later when he arrived and bring him to the room as there was only one key, which she subsequently did.

The dinner was excellent.

I asked for my complimentary newspaper the next morning and the receptionist offered to go to a newsagent to get it for me as they did not have it in stock. I politely declined, as I thought this was above and beyond the call of duty.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a short city break in a reasonably priced hotel. The staff were amazingly nice and helpful, particularly Bernie at the front desk.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple