“I'm waiting.”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I went to The Galway Bay for Easter. When we booked in at we were asked what time we were having dinner as the dining room was nearly booked for that night.We went out to eat as it was good Friday.The room was clean, It overlooked the carpark.which was not ideal. The next morning i was awoken by children running up and down the corridor. breakfast was delivered to my room and was on time.That night we went to the lobster pot dining room for dinner, I know they were very busy but thats not my problem.We sat for 20 minutes before a wqiter came near us.we gave our order and I wanted a glass of white wine which waited half an hour for. Dinner was ok the chicken was dry. Easter Sunday we went to a football game and decided to eat that night in the Bistro in the hotel. We went in and were told we would have to sit in a certain place as a kids club was coming in for tea. No way. We went to the pub belonging to the hotel and the only place to sit was with people peering over at us looking at a football match. We stayed as dinner was already included in the price. .....Big mistake ordered soup first atter an eternity it came out STONE COLD I called a waiter over abd sent it back. another lo///ng wait it came back with the same bread I had taken a bite of..Next my steak arrived I turned it over, black as coal called the manager over and he said Jesus Christ thats cremated and took it away. My husbands fish and chips were ok, I ordered them instead.I ate the fish. We asked to see the dessert menu . and ordered coffee to go with the choc cookie we ordered. Coffee arrived when we finished.What really bugged me was the glares i was detting from the wait staff They were busy so what.To be fair I filled out the comment card. and 2 days ago my husband got an e-mail offering us a free week-end the vouchers in the post apparently.

Will I go? maybe I will as the week end cost nearly 500e I will let you know how I got on.

Room Tip: ask for a room in front.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mari_ann_7
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear ‘mari_ann_7’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. Thank you also for this review.

I do genuinely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you did not experience the true Galway Bay Hotel experience which we are renowned for. I am very happy that you received my letter sent the day you left the hotel and I would really appreciate the opportunity to chat with you. I can be reached at any time at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com.

Sincere regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I would just like to convey my sincerest thanks to all the staff at the Galway Bay Hotel for the wonderful experience they provided to us and our guests at our wedding this past July. I could not recommend them highly enough; they were first class in everything they did for us. If I was to use one word to describe the Galway Bay it would be Professional, with a capital P! They were fantastic.

I would especially like to thank the manager Dan Murphy, our wedding liaison John Frazier and our duty manager on the day Diarmuid O'Conghaile and his colleague Valerie, who were both so professional and a pleasure to deal with. I would also like to give a special thank you to Willie Madden who was a tremendous help to us on the day after the wedding, and also to Victoria and Serge, who were a great help in the days leading up to the wedding.

We, as is becoming more common, returned home from Australia to get married, which meant that all the pre-planning had to be done through email and through various family members. As difficult as this was for us, I am sure it was not ideal for the Galway Bay personnel either, however the staff were extremely accommodating and made the whole process as stress free as possible. As we were only arriving in to Ireland two weeks before the wedding they allowed us to hold off on a lot of the final decisions until we could actually sit down with them face to face.

It was a large wedding, 300 plus, yet everything went like clockwork, not one hiccup, or if there was we certainly weren't made aware of it. We were absolutely blessed with the weather, and it really brought out what a stunning location the hotel is in. The patio deck, with the sun shining and the sea breeze, it really doesn't get any better than that. Even our guests from Australia were blown away.

As impressive as the staff were on the wedding day, I dare say they were even more impressive on the following day. We had talked with them in the week prior to the wedding about having some sort of food available on the day after the wedding as a number of our family members and friends had planned to stay on in Galway for a second night. They recommended a BBQ which we decided to go with, even though we couldn't give them final numbers until that day.

The numbers fluctuated on the morning after the wedding from 60 to the final figure of 120, yet the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating and it went off without a hitch. They set up the BBQ in the sunshine on the patio deck and served a beautiful meal, with plenty of food for everyone. Admittedly, the fabulous weather played a large part in the success of the BBQ, but we got so many compliments from our family and friends afterwards, it was the perfect way to round off a great weekend.

I really cannot recommend this venue highly enough, and my wife and I cannot wait to go back when we are next home, to once again convey our thanks and reminisce on the greatest weekend of our lives.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We booked into the hotel the day before the wedding last September. From start to finish the hotel staff could not do enough for us. From carrying our bags to the rooms to delivering refreshments on the morning of the wedding as we got ready. The wedding reception went off with a hitch with a dedicated wedding co-ordinater on hand all day to keep us organised with photos, speeches etc. I had meant to put this review up straight after my stay but never got round to it. All in all we couldn't have asked for a better stay at any hotel. Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: September 2011
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear ‘emma-ry-ah’,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I have passed on your comments to all on the team and all have requested that I pass on to you a very sincere thank you.

We have an excellent reputation for hosting wedding receptions receiving feedback similar to yours on a consistent basis; this feedback is based on the positive personality of all on the team and indeed the excellent quality of the food product.

Thank you again and hopefully we will get to welcome you back to the Galway Bay Hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I walked into the bar/lounge area and ordered a drink and sat down for 20 minutes before anyone came up to me, i had to ask for a menu and when i did the female servers response was "are you staying here?" very very rude i thought to myself as i responded "yes i am" she returned with a menu and then never came back at all.. pretty rediculous for a 4 star hotel, so the following night i made reservations for the restaurant so i would hopefully get served that night, the restaurant was poorly staffed with about 4 servers for the 50 or 60 tabels they have, my server only came up to the tabel twice during my entire meal because she was too busy trying to rush everyone in and out, the food was alright - not great or rememberable, I didnt even have a sharp knife for half of my meal. i continued to shrug these things off and went out to the pubs, in the morning i woke up to call the front desk to ask for a late checkout, they called me back and said they were very busy and i couldnt check out late.. this stay was NOT GOOD!! will not be returning obviously and i hope no one else has the same experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Staff from reception to housekeeping they were both pleasant and helpful, but in particular after my son left his Nintendo Ds Console behind.
I hadn't even noticed,yet housekeeping had contacted reception who in turn called to advise me, arranged to forward it to us and it arrived promptly this morning. My son is thrilled as he would have been devastated had we not know whereweleftit.
The breakfast was a buffet with a wide range to choose from and the evening meal very tasty.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear ‘holly006’,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this super feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your positive feedback regarding the team and indeed the quality of the breakfast buffet and evening meal are most welcome.

Thank you again and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

excellent hotel We spent three nights there and we could not fault
anything about our time there.The staff were very friendly and courteous .no problem when checking in .
The menu and wine range in the restaurant was first class .
We stay at this hotel at least twice a year
We will definitely be visiting again this year

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘finbarrl’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this wonderful feedback.

All on the team have requested that I pass on to you a very heart felt thank you. I am delighted to view your feedback regarding the menu and wine list being first class – these have been recently updated and renewed and are being commented on most favourably.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Very nice rooms, although our double room was microscopic. Not a very nice location and not a very nice staff. I would not have chosen this for another stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear ‘Kornelia-Bul’,

Thank you for your feedback and thank you also most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently.

Thank you for your positive comment regarding the very nice bedroom. All of our guest bedrooms are of the same size and on review of our guest feedback database from over the years (opened in 1998) they have never been commented on as being small. We are located on the promenade in Salthill on the outskirts of Galway City, overlooking the beautiful Clare Hills and the famous Galway Bay with miles of seafront promenade on our door step. We are an extremely popular conference and leisure destination being the ideal base for guests visiting Galway City and exploring the magnificent Connemara area. We have a number of ‘Core Values’ which we live by daily - Positive Personality being our main Core Value and is very much a part of everything we do. I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a daily basis and the feedback I receive regarding the team is overwhelmingly positive.

I would welcome the opportunity to chat in person at some stage in the future – please feel free to drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com.