“Cozy, warm, convenient”

Ranked #57 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
San Diego, California, United States
“Cozy, warm, convenient”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Amber Hill B&B and had nothing but great things to say about it. Staff was friendly and super helpful. Room was very clean and modern and was definitely very warm. The sitting room/common area was like someone's living room that you could hang out in. It's a bit of a walk to downtown Salthill and definitely a bus/coach ride or car ride over to Galway City Centre. Salthill is very sweet, quaint and quiet. So if you're the type to prefer a go go go surrounding, probably better to stay in Galway City but for some peace and quiet, definitely Salthill. The sheets were clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was very clean. There was a coffee and tea tray in the room that was greatly appreciated and I think there was a fridge in our room. The breakfast: the free breakfast is toast and cereal and coffee. But if you can, splurge on the full Irish breakfast. IT IS DELICIOUS. I think Amber Hill has ruined breakfast for me. HUGE plate. Even if you do just get the breakfast bar, it's a LOT of food, a lot of variety and the people we met in the dining room were really nice too. Definitely will go again!

Also, highly recommend the Galway Tour Company. They stop right in front of Amber Hill.

Room Tip: Triple bed rooms are a better deal than single rooms or a single and double. We were traveling as a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ahtravelsandeats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
limerick
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed in Amberhill For 2 nights me my husband and 2 kids. I have to say it was a pleasure we arrived at a highly decorated B&B very warm & friendly... The owners were so kind in accommodating us & or kids. they could not have did enough for us. Breakfast was only 6 euro and my kids had all the cereal and fruit the could eat for free. I will definitely be staying here again and would highly recommend this B&B to anybody looking to stay in Galway..Thanks a million guys we will be back soon

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Killaloe, Ireland
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I was travelling with my two children, 5 and 8 and a friend and we stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment for the same price as renting a room inside the BnB. It was a little chalet in the garden, with its own functional kitchen/sitting room, bathroom and two bedrooms with two single beds in each. It is decorated in a very warm and inviting manner. There is a HUGE TV in the sitting room and one in each bedroom. It was warm and very private. I would have no hesitation in staying here again as it was excellent value - I think it was 59 euro for the night for the four of us. Breakfast isn't included but you can get a full Irish breakfast for 6 euros a head, and there was plenty of cereal, juice, yoghurt, fruit, toast etc available. I would stay here again definitely. Not too far a drive from the centre of Galway and excellent value. Coffee machine available in the guesthouse for guest use at any time was a nice touch.

Room Tip: If the chalet is available it is very private and warm and lovely. Good for a family because there i...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
tonyGalway, Owner at Amber Hill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Thank you very much for this wonderful review of Amber Hill. We were delighted to hear you had a nice time here and its great to read you enjoyed staying in the chalet.

We hope to see you next time you and your family are in the Galway area.

Best of luck from all here at AmberHill in Galway.
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed 2 nights in Amber Hill. Reception was wonderful, room was wonderful, full irish breakfast was little bit of disappointment, it was dry.. and i mean dry.. but hey, it only cost 6 euros. My problem was the internet connection.After 7pm it was almost impossible to stream video, connect via vpn to my company network without breaks. This cannot be counted as fault for B&B since it seems to be Eircom who is taking care of the connection. So i can recommend Amber Hill for pleasure, but for business, no, since realible connection is needed, and i needed to do that via m broadband dongle. And if you have Three Ireland as operator (as i did) dream on for coverage... it is bad.. :( Foor the sleep quality, please tell ur customer not to talk so loud in the corridors after 11.30pm...

Room Tip: dont take a room near reception...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Hello sir,
thank you for taking the time to write a review of amber hill. I have checked the internet speeds and have found out that we have 12meg broadband here. If you needed a wired connection we have cat5 cable leads and other connections in reception that you could have had free of charge. You could have plugged in direct to the network instead of using the wifi.
We have never had a complaint about the wifi or internet here but you obviously needed a stronger signal for downloading your movies ect?? Since you were here for 2 nights you could have just asked and we would have sorted the problem out for you.
Im sure we would have asked you during your stay if everything was ok. On the day you left I checked you out myself and you said you had a lovely time.
Regarding the comments you made about the breakfast. Breakfast was not included in your rate and you chose to have breakfast "twice". If it was so dry and overpriced why did you come and have it all over again on day 2?
When I served you breakfast you cleared your plate and again said it was really nice.
"I dont understand why you would not have mentioned it there and then if there was a problem, We are friendly approachable people here at Amber Hill" Have a look at the 100+ other reviews that verify this.

Anyway we thank you for your business and thank you also for taking the time to write this review
Anyway
Bolton
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed at the Amber hill for 3 nights during our 2 week visit to Ireland. The location of the b&b is brilliant. It is just outside the centre of Galway so parking is no trouble. It is nice that you can go out and know that you are going to be able to park back up on your return. It is close enough to Galway however that you can get a taxi in (if you want a drink) or as we did drive in (was pregnant so drinking not on the menu).

The room at the b&b was nice and spacious. We had brought all sorts on holiday with us to keep us entertained incase it rained for 2 weeks including a big bag of games. There was plenty of room without things getting in the way. The decor was modern, upto date and clean. The bathroom was massive (being pregnant this again is a big plus).

The breakfast included cakes, pastries, jam, toast fruit ect. And you could have a cooked breakfast. Being a b&b this was booked fresh to your order rather than a buffet breakfast at a hotel. They also cooked my, the eggs have to be cooked through, I can't have black or white pudding etc etc perfectly every day. The times that breakfast was over was a good range too meaning we got to have it at a reasonable time.

We had o trouble with any noise from either guests or outside noise during the night so had good sleeps.

If we came back to Galway we would definately stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi Susan,
thank you for taking the time to write this great review for AmberHill. We are grateful for this and are delighted to hear you had a nice time with us. We hope all goes well when the new baby arrives and hopefully we will meet you again next time you are in Galway.

Best wishes from all the management and staff here at Amber Hill.
Estes Park, Colorado
Reviewed 30 October 2011

There are a lot of rooms in this B & B which make it feel more like a hotel than a B & B. The rooms are small, but clean. The B & B is fairly convenient for driving out to Connemara and into the town center of Galway. The hosts are great, one even went out and bought me another box of cereal when I ran out of the one brought from home. My husband enjoyed their delicious breakfasts and I appreciated that they had soy milk on hand for my special diet.

• Stayed October 2011
Hello and thank you very much for this review you have written for Amber Hill. It was a pleasure to have met you and we were happy to read you enjoyed your stay.
It was no problem to take care of your special dietary requirements and Its great to hear your husband enjoyed the full Irish.

Once again thank you so much for this kind review, We wish you every happiness and hope to see you again some day.

All the best from the staff and management at Amber Hill.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 October 2011

great hotel! My brother and I took a trip from the states and stayed there on the 17th and 18th and we enjoyed staying there for 39 euro for a room. I was not planing on having breakfast there but after waking up early one morning i decided i would and the breakfast was ok, nothing exceptional but it was good and the free toast, coffee machine and lobby was a big plus. the owner/manager was very nice and waiting at the door for us as we arrived. Overall the place was very comfortable place to spend time and sleep. didnt see or use the pool so i cant comment on that. the t.v. in our room did not work but i didnt care to much because there was a nicer one in the comfortable lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Hi Jackson,
thank you for taking the time to write this review for Amber Hill. We were delighted to read you had a nice time here and hope to meet you both next tie you are in Galway.

Best of luck from all here at Amber hill.