“The staff are very friendly and I recommend the bar restaurant but I do not recommend this hotel for accommodation”
Review of Failte Hotel

Failte Hotel
Failte Hotel
Ranked #38 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
sydney nsw australia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

As soon as I arrived I was asked to pay upfront before I was taken to my room. My room smelt musty and of cigarette odour. The tattered bedspread had signs of a cigarette burn and the small window looked onto a dirty roof which was covered in pigeon droppings, the carpet was sticky
I did eat in the bar downstairs and the food was excellent and once again the staff were very friendly

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank teabrock

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Our family of 4 stayed there using 2 rooms, one for our teenagers and one for my wife and me. Rooms are nothing special, but both of ours were clean and we did not spend much time there anyway. We were out sightseeing around Kerry most of the time. What really makes this hotel charming are the owners and the people that work there. We had breakfast and 2 dinners at the hotel, and the dinners were very good. The downstairs bar was lively and seems to be popular with the locals. Our kids even enjoyed the atmosphere and live music. If you are looking for fancy lodging then there are other options, but our family enjoyed our stay and would come back again. Part of the fun of our Ireland trip was staying in hotels like this that felt Irish and not the sameness that we get when we travel at home in the US.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Camelback50
Kentucky
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Its a cute little hotel, went with a school and i think we took up the entire hotel. The room i shared with two other girls had two twin beds and one double bed, which was comfortable to sleep on. The hotel was located near plenty of things so you could easily walk wherever you wanted. Our group couldn't get the wireless to work with our laptops at all but the owner let a small group of us take turns using his laptop to check our emails which was very generous. They were very kind and didn't mind all our questioning of why the internet was giving us problems. My only problem with this hotel was that my room happened to be a smoking room which gave me problems with my allergies, so i would suggest if you do not want a smoke smelling room make sure you ask because the smell permeated everything in the room. Other than that it was a great place and i would very much suggest staying there.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank geekgurl90
Lazy_Lefty
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Easiest hotel in town to find...but I suggest you keep going to the end of college street and turn right there are several more B&B's 2 minutes down the road.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 20 June 2007

Reading the other reviews I can agree that the rooms are nothing special, but what makes the place a keeper are their friendly owners. There are many places to choose from and this is one of the older, simpler places. There is something about the atmosphere of the Failte Hotel that is just very positive.

I like the mix of different experiences and don't need all hotels during a vacation to be 5 stars- it’s more fun to have a wide range of accommodation.

We had a very large room with a high ceiling and a spotless bathroom. We stayed here before the busy tourist season and could basically choose any room.

You have to try the restaurant- we had outstanding food.

• Liked — breakfast and frienly service
  • Disliked — old carpet
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Winterhude
london
Reviewed 6 December 2006

This place is a complete dump and it's not cheap!

Give it a miss unless you enjoy staying in a small grubby room with a bathroom basin decorated with the previous guest's toothpaste slobber. The food and service was mediocre at best. We endured a night there ..never again.

Life is too short to waste your precious time and money staying in such a dire excuse for a hotel.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything , but the bathroom and bedroom carpet were particularly unpleasant.
  • Tips/Secrets — Sleep in one of the jaunting cars in Killarney instead , it's unllikely to be more unpleaant and it's cheaper.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank ire123

Travellers are raving about these Killarney hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 May 2006

As my fiancee and myself would not be tourists in Ireland (from the south-east), we still enjoy going to Killarney, at anytime of the year. It is a fabulous place, and we love the buzzing atmosphere especially at night. I do think the hotel you pick has a lot to do with your stay. Good Accommodation is important. We stayed at the Failte but there were disadvantages to it. It was all very central, and the lady there was very nice, but the rooms were horrible, we got a back room, but from going by the front rooms (some of the doors were open), they didn't look that much better. Our room was very dark, and there was not a pleasant smell. The bathroom was tiny. Another thing I did not like was there was no reception area, you had to go up a long stairs into a restaurant and ring a bell for reservations. Another thing I didn't like was we were asked to pay the full amount up front on arrival. (i had already paid the deposit for 2 one month beforehand) In other hotels, the full amount is usually paid upon your departure. No, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. But I would recommend anybody to go to Killarney. It doesn't matter if you are American or Irish. Very welcoming atmosphere, oh yeah, The Flesk Restaurant is fabulous and affordable with really lovely friendly staff. We went there every night, and it was packed!! This really attracted us. Thanks

• Stayed May 2005