“Great stay! Highly recommend!”

Castlelodge Guesthouse
Ranked #72 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The Castlelodge Guesthouse provided a wonderful stay. The room, and entire place, was clean, bright and homey. The staff was exceptional -- always warm and offering their help. They booked my tours the evening before, and were always willing to take an extra step to assure a comfortable stay for me. The Castlelodge is ideally located, short minutes from the center of town. The pricing was superb and I would definitely stay there again. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank chana160
There are newer reviews for Castlelodge Guesthouse

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Since Killarney is a major tourist town it offers all types of accommodations from rural B & Bs to upscale hotels, but I found a real gem in the Castlelodge Guesthouse. I paid 35 euros per night for my two-night stay in late March and that included a full Irish breakfast.
I had requested a quiet room and was given a ground floor room at the end of the corridor overlooking the garden and it was huge by European standards with one queen and one single bed. Breakfast is served at 8 am, but they happily provided an earlier breakfast when I mentioned I'd like to get an early start one morning.

The hotel has a nice lounge off the lobby, a garden with outdoor tables and seating, and a large car park out front. It is located on a main road so it's easy to get to, but the front rooms might get some traffic noise so request a room in back. Next door is a petrol station with a convenience store and an off-license (liquor) store. It's a two-minute walk to the Muckross Park and a five- minute walk to the center of town. I'm glad I chose this location as it avoided having me drive into the narrow town center streets or have to try to find parking.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank comcox
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I had stayed at this hotel twice before with my partner with no problems so didn’t think twice of booking it again with a friend. The stay was fine, it wasn’t till a few days later that the problems began when received a call from the garda.He explained that all the curtains and bedding had been stolen from the room and the management was blaming me so had taken €500 off my credit card to cover the costs. After both myself and my lawyer had spoken to the garda it soon became obvious to him that we were not to blame and were by no means common thieves. We were told that he was going back to the hotel to try to get to the bottom of the problem and look back at the cctv .Our room was directly opposite the restaurant and as good as facing reception were we had returned or keys before leaving which would lead me to believe that it could have been an inside job. Not to mention the fact that they told the garda that they couldn’t find the footage from the cameras. We had to fight to get the money returned to my card it took several phone calls of which on one occasion I was accused again .I don’t think the rooms are safe and I definitely wouldn’t recommend anyone handing over their credit card details. No apology was ever made for this very stressful occurrence.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
17  Thank defrimated
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This hotel is a fantastic location if you want to explore Killarney town and the surrounding tourist attractions. The service was good with friendly and helpful staff and the food, except for the scrambled eggs, can be recommended. There is a large lounge from which you can get free wifi or you can use the hotel computer. There is ample free parking and all facilities are close by. I would certainly recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank MoeLoveheart
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Myself and my husband stayed in the castle lodge and we got verbally abused by the night porter who was shouting at us when we arrived back from a concert. He was saying that I should ask my 'visitor' to leave the room as there is no guests allowed. Even though he checked us in a few hours before that. Tried explaning it to him but he was screaming at my husband to leave. Never in our life had we come across anything so bad. The room was very small, the bathroom very dated, but we didnt mind as we were only staying for 1 night. But what happened to us was a disgrace.
Tried complaining the next morning, but was only given a 'sorry' and handed the bill.
Didnt have Bfast as was so upset the next morning, just wanted to get out of there as quick as possible. I advise anyone to stay clear of the Castle Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CorkEllen
Reviewed 22 December 2009

My family and I stay at the Castle Lodge each year for a short break . We are always met with a friendly smile from all the staff at the guesthouse .Its located just minutes from town center and not forgetting next door to one of the beatiful national parks in killarney.
Rooms are very spacious and relaxing with a hearty full irish breakfast to follow in the morning .
I would recommend castle lodge to everyone its well worth a visit

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lisaDerry
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I have stayed in Killarney many times and every time we enjoyed it a lot! The town is great for nightlife and during the day you can take a trip to Muckross House and the National Park. This trip was a weekend away with the girls, we didn't expect much from a guesthouse but we did expect to have comfortable and clean room with pleasant staff.....however, this was not provided.

The bathroom was not adequate- it smelt of urine as cleaning agent was not used on the toilet, the shower's temperature varied from freezing cold to scorching without turning the knob. The bathroom floor was soaked after the shower, as the shower curtain was not big enough....extremely dangerous with kids. The toilet was positioned too close to the sink and it was a tight squeeze to say the least. Also, not enough towels where provided for all persons in the room - we were given two bath towels in a family room! (Not practical for this room type - after all Family Rooms are meant to be their speciality!!)

The TV was dated with only four channels, the whole guesthouse was generally outdated. I personally couldn't see any evidence of any new refurbishment in the guesthouse. The dining room was open until 9:45, not ideal for late nights and especially when the dining room was not big enough to accommodate all guests in one setting. Check-In and Check-Out was very unpleasant with staff being extremely rude and uncooperative. I have never witness customer service being so terrible!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends