“4 Star????????”

GreenLeadersGold level
Waterford
“4 Star????????”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have recently returned from a trip to The Brehon, and to be honest I would struggle to find fault with it. My biggest issue is its four star rating, I have stayed in other "4 star" hotels in Killarney and they aren't fit to sweep the forecourt of The Brehon.

From the moment we set foot in the hotel to the moment we left we were made feel welcome and that the staff couldn't do enough for us.

After check in we went to our room, which was a bog standard room, but let me get one thing clear. There are NO bog standard rooms in the Brehon, it was gorgeous, spacious and overlooked the front of the hotel with a view of the mountains. FANTASTIC. Unfortunately there was some noise from the lifts (which were located right beside the room) but we requested a change and again they couldn't have been nicer about it. They put us into one of their suites. Again another gorgeous room.

The bar had the right mix of buzz and peace and quite the staff were brilliant and efficeint. The bar food was tasty and well prepared, served promptly and still piping hot.

The breakfasts were to die for, the selection was massive and the cooked breakfast was made with very high quality ingredients cooked perfectly. I was glad of the fifteen minute stroll into town after breakfast to try walk off some of the breakfast.

We had a meal in the Danu restaurant on our last night and I have to say it was one of the finest meals I have eaten in an age. There are probably one or two restaurants that I would rate higher. Again the staff were fantastic and the food exceptional. I'll be honest and I made an absolute pig of myself. I would highly recommend the quail starter and their really clever take on a Lemon Cheesecake for dessert.

While we were there we were granted free access to there thermal suites which we were only too happy to take advantage of and so should anyone wanted to relax. (I was disappointed that I didn't have the time to take full advantage of their Spa and get a treatment, but I'll definitely get one on my next trip back)

By now I am sure your sick of reading about how great the Brehon is but these are the facts it is a great hotel and I'll happily return to Killarney just to go to this hotel again. I will say I found the temperature in the hotel to be a little warm but to be fair it was unseasonally warm during our trip which I won't complain about.

All in all I am looking forward to my return there ( I just need an excuse now)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Myself and friend recently stayed in The Brehon for a one night spa break and it was fabulous from start to finish. The room was spacious and nicely decorated and we had a lovely view over Killarney National Park and the mountains. For a real get away from it all, I can really recommend the Brehon. We relaxed in our room before heading down to the spa for our treatments and it was fabulous. We tried out everything on offer in the thermal suite facilities, even the bucket of icy water and ice!! The treatments were wonderful and the staff excellent. After the treatments, we really chilled out in the relaxation room and you really felt you were away from the stresses of daily life. Our package included dinner in the restaurant and again, have no complaints about the whole experience. Food was excellent as were the staff. I was sorry to leave the next day (after a lovely breakfast!!!) and will definitely be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Limerick
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in The Brehon for a weekend recently. From the moment we got out of the car until we got back into it, we could only say that we had a 5 star experience. The staff were excellent, the food was excellent, the room was excellent, the Vitality Suite was excellent. What more can I say, but we will be back.

Kanturk, Ireland
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We were attending a wedding in The Brehon Hotel and as we were just shortly off a long haul flight I requested a quiet room. We had a room at the top of the hotel and it was so quiet we had a great nights sleep. I was impressed with the attention to detail for example - in the lift they have the weather forecast for the day and the news headlines. I had a swim in the pool and it was very relaxing. We had an excellent meal for the wedding, and the following day what I really loved was their seafood chowder - it was the best chowder that I have ever eaten so if you are in Killarney call in for that!
By the way, we went for a fabulous walk in the Killarney National Park and the deer were very close to us - stunning!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

My partner recently booked The Brehon as a surprise to celebrate our anniversary. I thought it was quite a lovely personal touch to receive a card from the hotel on arrival. The room itself was clean, spacious & modern. The bathroom was the same, as well as separate bath and shower. Room had a lovely view overlooking the gardens. We used the spa facilities and I have to say it we really enjoyed it as it was clean and well kept. Large pool with hot & cold jacuzzi's, sauna was fab too. Wish we could have spent more time in fact. Had drinks at the bar and a very pleasant gentleman served us. Nice relaxing atmosphere. Would absolutely recommend staying here if you enjoy a bit of a pamper!

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Attended a friend’s wedding in the Brehon Hotel, was going to book a B&B close to the hotel but enquired about the price of B&B for the night and it was alot cheaper than I expected.
The Hotel is super clean and tidy. The room, which is about a standard hotel room size but only 1 double bed, gives the room a much more spacious feel to it. It has everything you want and decorated beautifully.
The staff were most friendly and helpful. The food was 2nd to none, there was no one at our table that didn't love it. Bar staff were plentiful and helpful.
But the best thing about the hotel came the next morning in the form of the breakfast. It was the best selection and quality I have ever had in a hotel.
Keep up the good work and we'll be back for a weekend away very soon.

GCurran, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Stud99

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review on your stay at the Brehon. All the team here put in a tremendous effort to make sure all our guests have the best time possible during their stay, and it’s more than pleasing for all the team to see such kind words.

We look forward to your next visit to Killarney and the Brehon.

Yours sincerely

Gary Curran
Hotel Manager
Tel: 064 6630700
Reviewed 16 March 2012

From the minute we walked in the door of the hotel we felt welcomed & relaxed, the staff were attentive & pleasant .We had booked a 2 night stay with one evening meal & we could not complain about a thing the room was of a good size with a comfortable bed & very clean.
We had a beautiful meal on the Saturday night in the hotel restaurant & the breakfast on each morning was more of a banquet then a buffet , As my wife said it was the first time she saw me have a starter(cornflakes & croissants) followed by a main course ( full fry-up) & dessert ( pancakes with red berries & yogurt )for breakfast . WOW! Full all day
The hotel is located just outside the town which is a long walk or 2 minute car journey & muckross house & gardens are again a long walk or 2 minute car journey in the opposite direction .I would recommend Muckross house & gardens for a visit, you can walk, run or cycle around its vast gardens & lakes which stretch for miles, we went for a run around the lakes & it was stunning.
We spent most of our time relaxing in the hotel, there are large sofas in the foyer where you watch the world go by or quite corners were you read your book or surf the web with the free Wi-Fi.
My wife had some treatments in hotel spa & said there were very good.
In essence it’s an excellent hotel with good food & well trained staff in a great location & we will be back.

GCurran, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear danfajones

You’re so very kind for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on tripadvisor. It is absolutely wonderful to hear that you had such a wonderful time in the Brehon and in Killarney.

We hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Yours sincerely