“Historical building for all the family”

Saint Mary's Cathedral
Ranked #12 of 116 things to do in Limerick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Saint Mary's Cathedral is one of the oldest buildings in Limerick and stands in the heart of the medieval city, looking over the majestic River Shannon. Originally the Royal Palace for the Kings of Thomond it was gifted to the church in 1168. It is a living church where worship is offered daily, as it has been for the last 850 years. Please come and visit us at Saint Mary's Cathedral. You will be most welcome !
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Visited Saint Mary’s Cathedral yesterday with family and friends and what a fantastic experience. The adults and children loved the building the grounds and its history. Also with greats views of Limerick City. This year it celebrates its 850th anniversary. Well worth a visit if you are in living or visiting Limerick.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"graveyard"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed March 28, 2018

Well worth stopping by this gorgeous church and taking a self-guided tour. Lovely inside and out. Beautiful stained glass, very old church that still holds services. Visit the beautiful grounds and cemetery as well. After your tour, you should head down to Nelly's Corner for lunch. One of my favorite churches in Ireland!

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

I would 100% recommend visiting the grounds and viewing the church exterior as it’s beautiful. My biggest issue with my visit is that they recommended a donation of €5. Okay, fine, the church needs donations to help keep everything nice, clean, etc. This was not a recommendation, there was a woman with a cash register at the entrance charging you to enter. Seemed like they were trying to shake people down in the name of religion. We did not go in.

1  Thank Erin M
Reviewed March 10, 2018

I stopped by on my first afternoon in Ireland. My companion and I were exhausted from jet lag and trying to kill an afternoon before we checked in at our B and B. Once inside, we were mesmerized by the beauty of the architecture and fascinated by the history. I felt as if I was traveling through the last 6 centuries of time. The lady at the visitors entrance was very friendly and welcoming. She guided us to the back of the nave to point out the brilliant embroidery in front of the altar. We were very pleased with our visit.