“OK, but below average cleanliness and upkeep...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castlebar
The Welcome Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlebar
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“OK, but below average cleanliness and upkeep...”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

At the end of the day it was a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in, but...

General upkeep of the hotel in general leaves a bit to be desired. Now, the room at first glance seemd quite reasonable, but upon drawing back the net curtain to see out, the curtain pole fell down - had a look and it wasn't actually attached, just a spring loaded effort that didn't fit right. Not a huge deal.

Next, a little surprise - a jacuzzi! While filling up, I noticed a lidless shower gel/shampoo container on the bath - presumably from a previous occupant. Add to that a couple of hairs of 'intimate origin', and I wasa bit reluctant to have this jacuzzi... Not to worry as it didn't actually work anyway! Had a dip anyway and had a lovely view of the cracked ceiling complete with a huge damp stain, probably from a previous leak.

As the internet wireless connection didn't reach the top floor, I tried to phone reception, but no dialling tone. Upon closer inspection, it wasn't surprising given the state of the wiring at the telephone socket. After trawling away down to reception, they knew about the fault (so whay hadn't they fixed it??)

Anyway, back up to the room and time for a coffee after a long journey from Dublin. Picked up the cup in the room, only to see a big lipstick mark on it, which wiped off easily enough, so I guess it just hadn't been cleaned...

Night time was OK, apart from some noisy contraption outside below my window that made a noise like a hot air balloon being filled with air. As it kept stopping and starting it was virtually impossible to zone out, so a sleepless night ensued. Didn't help me investigating the noise at 3 a.m., forgetting the collapsing curtain pole!

Meals and staff were adequate at least, if not exceptional, but for the price I wouldn't really expect it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 14 November 2010

good location. hotel in need of a coat of paint. had no seperate shower only a shower head over a jacuzzi bath(which didnt work). shower had very low pressure which would have been a problem if we were staying for more than one night.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mariatipp

Travellers are raving about these Castlebar hotels

Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We have just returned from an overnight stay and I don't know what hotel those other reviews are based on but we were really disappointed in the whole experience. We booked this on the Internet and were promised a special deal of dinner b&b for €49.50. When we arrived the hotel looked grotty and dirty. On checking in we were informed that our evening meal would consist of main course of bar food only. We then proceeded to our rooms and my room reeked of a damp musty smell. The walls were streaked and dirty looking, the carpet looked at though an attempt had been made to wash it and the window was wide open - I wonder why! When I informed reception, I was taken aback by the reaction. I was met with comments like 'I can't beleive that, those rooms have all been done up' - well mine clearly wasen't. I eventually managed to get another room. We then proceeded to the bar for our evening meal and having made our selection from the bar menu, was informed by the waitress and we could only choose from a selection of 3 meals which which were written on a piece of paper paperclipped on to the menu. Our party consisted of one vegetarian and one celiac so there was nothing on this 'menu' that we could choose. The waitress eventually agreed to let us has an ordinary main course for the special priced, but our nightmare didn't really end there as there was a lot of disturbances during the night and one drunk ended up snooring outside one of our bedroom doors. When we checked out in the morning, we were NOT asked how our stay was or given any opportunity to inform anyone of any discomfort, so that's when I decided to post this review. Having read some of the other reviews given, I wonder what hotel they are referring to as our party would not recommend this 'hotel' to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank An_Gaelach
Dublin
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Would not stay here again the room and ensuite was not very clean.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Having read the reviews of the hotel which were posted on this site, I was reluctant to stay at this venue but needed somewhere within walking distance of the retail area as I had travelled by train and was without a car. The reception staff were more than helpful and were able to provide plenty of local knowledge which helped me. Check in was hassle free and I was shown to my room with a minimum of fuss. It is only a small hotel getting lost is not really an option. The accommodation was clean, neat, and all I had hoped to get based on price and facilities. My rate included evening meal and Breakfast both of which were well above standard. In fact I would highly recomment their seafood chowder ! I would have no hesitation staying there again. The only conclusion I can come to for the poor reviews is that perhaps they are outdated as they appear to be from a few years ago.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I have stayed in this hotel on at least 4 occasions (possibly more) I stayed when they had a offer for €50 B&B + Evening Meal, the food was excellent, as well as just a normal stay. The rooms I have been given on all but 1 occasion have been excellent including a jacuzzi bath and a double bed. I often travel thoughout Ireland for work and always stay here when in this area. My only complainant would be the breakfast, it has never been great, which is surprising as the evening food as i have said was excellent, it hasnt put me off but i have skipped breakfast here a few times.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Birmingham
Reviewed 14 August 2009

A group of 6 of us stayed in the Welcome Inn last September for 7 nights, we came with the Irish Wefare, and we were well looked after,and the food was excellent. We came from Birmingham, and everybody had a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebar
0.8 km away
0.6 km away
The Connaught Inn
The Connaught Inn
#9 of 17 in Castlebar

Been to The Welcome Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!