“Excellent Authentic Thai”

Hungry monk Asian restaurant
Ranked #32 of 39 Restaurants in Monaghan
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Visited Friday 13th January past with family. Great service from Sherry, who recommended the Pattaya Chicken and Red Curry. This place is up there with some of the best Thai I've eaten, way better than some Dublin restaurants.
Portion sizes are huge and the prices are reasonable, I cannot fault this and will be back this weekend!!

Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

Went in yesterday for a quick bite to eat. The food was lovely and any starter we order came out in a big sharing platter which was great!! We both agreed it was the best service we had ever been given. We were the only people in restaurant. Was an excellent meal. The two for one is a good deal!! Yes, there are two main courses brought at a time to the table but this is a good idea as we were going to order four and actually didn't even half eat the first two after the starters!! Will definitely be back!!

1  Thank lornamoffett
Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Stopped here for a bite and was given the option of an all you can eat menu. Think it was around €15 and decided to opt with this. However when the waitress took our order we were discouraged to order any more than a starter and a main course being told it would go cold on us. Completely taking away from the all you can eat idea. The food took 55 minutes to arrive and by that time all you wanted to do was eat and get home. I felt that their advertising of all you can eat was a complete cop out with not being allowed order what you want and then taking an hour to get food. Won't return.

1  Thank BreedaMulfahey
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

My husband and I went to the hungry monk while visiting county Monaghan lately, I have to say the service was great,and the food was excellent, we ordered from the all you can eat menu for 15.99 euro and it really was all you can eat, every course we got was absolutely delicious and plentiful. Sherry who served us was so plesent and polite even though she was quite busy she always had time to ask if we would like anything else. I would highly recommend this restaurant and will definately go back.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

I've eaten Asian food all my life, I've travelled Asia for more than 30 years, my wife is Asian, so I feel qualified in what I say here. Don't be seduced by 16 euro eat as much as you can menu, the food here is disgusting. Glutinous, tasteless, reheated rubbishy, I don't have enough bad words to describe. The place has the ambiance of a morgue, kids are running round above your head, everything is bad. Being a typical conservative Englishman who never complains in restaurants, this was my first exception. I quietly took the front of house to one side and told them what I thought, there wasn't even an apology. EAT HERE AT YOUR OWN PERIL

1  Thank David H
Sherryyeung, Manager at Hungry monk Asian restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Hi,dear David ,thank you for your review,and I have to say something!
yesterday you came to our restaurant,we are very respect to both of you.
1.if you think we do not understand Thai language ,so you felt very bad for us, I can not say anything,I do not think Japanese restaurant owner they will know Japanese if they are not Japanese.
2.if you think that kind of restaurant like ambiance,I can not say anything either,cause I know every people has own design idea.
3.you order 5 starter,2 main course and 2 side order,you finish all of that,but you think our food is disgusting,reheat rubbishy,I do know understand how can you eat all of that kind of you called rubbish food.
4.and when you complain the children very loudly,we do apologise ,say sorry to you.we went to upstairs to tell customers,but children are not adult,you let them sit,they will sit forever.restaurant business is a public business,I do not think any restaurant in Ireland will put notes they do not welcome to children,we are family business,we won't to do it either.if I can post your dishes empty plates I think I will,just let other customers to see it,what is the rubbishy food can let customer eat 9 position dishes!maybe like one of my friend said:your food is not enough good,even I finished all of your food,but I did not eat your plate.
5.If you do not like our food,when you check the table,why do not you tell us,that is one more thing we do not understand .
And by the way,thank you for you review ,and have a nice day to you and your Thailand wife.