“Bar food, don't try fish and chips!!”

Clayton Whites Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Killarney, Ireland
“Bar food, don't try fish and chips!!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My partner and I had been staying in the Talbot hotel and decided to try the bar food in Whites as we had heard it was good. The library bar was busy on arrival and staff were friendly. My partner chose the fillet steak cooked on stone at the table while I opted for the fish and chips. How can one get fish and chips wrong I ask but the fish was soggy and not crisp nor tasty. In my opinion it was nooked in a microwave. As for my partner, she chose more wisely and enjoyed her meal. I would return and would possibly like to stay in the Hotel if we ever do go back to Wexford. It was most likely a bad choice on my part. I didn't complain either and (SHE) said partner says there is no point in complaining to her!! Guess she is correct!!!

Room Tip: Re bar food, if not satisfied let them know!!! That way they have an oppertunity to fix things!!! Mi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
WhitesofWexford, Manager at Clayton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Totallyrelaxaed,

Thank you for taking the time to review you meal in our bar recently. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the fish, I would advise you in future that you should have mentioned it to one of our staff and we could have changed it or offered you an alternative dish. We always try our best to ensure each and every guest leaves the hotel happy and satisfied. On a positive note I am glad to read your partner enjoyed the Hot Rock Fillet Steak.
We hope you will not let this incident deter you from returning to our hotel, we do hope to welcome you back should you choose to stay in Wexford in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2012

usually with a deal for the over 55's the hotel menu is a set one for the evening meal. White's hotel allows the visitor to select from the menu that an ordinary punter can avail of.

2 Thank Frances Q
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed in Whites for 3 nights. It is a great hotel, great location and lovely bar/foyer/reception area. Bedrooms are very comfortable, air conditioning works well. We didnt eat in the hotal as there is super restaurants nearby but we had breakfast each morning. Breakfast was good, lovely pastries, cereals and fresh fruit but the hot breakfasts were a little disappointing, the food didnt seem to be great quality and it was cooked along time before eating, a hard balance to get right in a big hotel I know. Staff were very helpful, I had problems with a hairdryer and they brought me a proper hairdryer for me to use. It was very busy while we were there so obviously is popular. Overall a very good hotel... Very good swimming pool too...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
WhitesofWexford, Manager at Clayton Whites Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear hanbobjul,

Many thanks for your recent review, we appreciate you taking the time to review us here at Whites of Wexford. Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, I will have our Head Chef review our hot breakfast offering, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kildare
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is the only hotel my friends and I leave and never have a bad word to say about it. The rooms are spotless, the facilities are super, the food fantastic and the staff in are in a league of their own.The staff on the front desk are super efficient and extremely helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. We were making enquiries with Lynn on front desk in relation to a group return booking and she was so helpful and could answer every question that we asked her. Thanks Lynn for all your help and to your colleagues that were just as helpful in your absence.
Looking forward to our return visit already. Also compliments to all the chefs and waiting staff they deserve a special mention too for their professionalism and manner.You will never be disappointed with a stay at this hotel. Top class.

Dear Hilly2338,

Thank you once again for your review of your stay with us here at Whites of Wexford. I am so glad you enjoyed everything again and that you find the staff fantastic. We take great pride in our staff after all they are our biggest asset!
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best Regards,
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just spent the weekend with my boyfriend on a 2 nights and 1 dinner package.The hotel is so central its so handy for the spot of shopping. We enjoyed the stay especially the spa well worth having some time to chill down there(Joanne was very friendly whilst my time at the spa). The bar was average as a 4 star hotel thought it should have a better standard of food.

The breakfast was amazing, there was something to please everyone. On the second night stay we had our meal which was fabulous so much to choose from, the pate was gorgeous and lamb shank just fell of the bone.

The pool was lovely the changing rooms weren't very clean. There is a great pub just around the corner of the hotel called Thomas Moore Tavern it's a must to see food excellent, restaurant gorgeous with a piano bar and a disco bar on different floors, staff also very friendly.

Also would like to mention a girl by the name of Aisling that was so helpful, she couldn't have done enough.

Dear aisling c,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the Tranquillity Spa and Terrace Restaurant. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the food in the bar as usually we get some very good feedback.
Once again thank you for your feedback, we look forward to your return.

Dingle, Co. Kerry
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The deal was attractive, so I took a chance!

Room was plain and probably less than I would have expected from a 4* hotel. The only real colour was the throw at the end of the bed. I was incensed to see a pound shop pulp print over the bed. How can so many millions be spent on a development/fit-out and then finish it with such nonsense on the wall?

Breakfast fine, but on last day I asked for a fried egg which I wanted sealed on top. Did I get it? No!

Found more awful pound shop prints in the dining room (overhead lights full of glare) and my table was adorned with an Advent/Lent runner - not my favourite Liturgical colour.

Fillet of beef meal (on stone) was badly let down by a trio of awful bottled sauces - should be offering proper peppercorn sauce à la Jamie Oliver in view of premium price being charged. The beef was tender but lacking in taste - needed a sauce of high worth!

Laughed at the Staff Awards book where I saw the General Manager wearing the same tie on so many occasions. See the identical tie-knot on two occasions - is this some kinda recycling, I wonder? Rictus man!!

The bathroom shaver light arrangement did not work (up too high). Maybe all the more unsuccessful as one bulb had blown. The toilet bowl (cantilever arrangement) rocked when used but I liked the walk-in shower!

The other 4* hotel in town have fab art in lobby area as well as an original Maurice MacGonigal but their rooms may not be as large as Whites. Soup better in the other 4* hotel. Also, the other 4* hotel have soft leather seats in lobby (v. comfy) as opposed to Whites scuffed and torn leatherette rubbish. Oh lord! We can live with the patina of scuffed leather (if real) but not damaged leatherette which is only fit for the charity shop!

Lots of Mary T. Carberry stuff for sale - didn't like them at all. Would jettison the whole lot if I took over! Not art...I am afraid. The Balcerzak artwork had more visual appeal but the Sandycove pic lacked accuracy. Keep trying Wilhelm!

Three wonderful members of staff: Tony (Tonda), Carol from Carlow and Aisling (girl of vision). My wife loved these people!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear nelly001,

Many thanks for your review of your trip to Wexford. I am so glad that you found our staff wonderful. Your other comments will be discussed at length, it is quite disappointing that you did not enjoy some of the other areas of the hotel.
Hopefully if you return you will like the next artists to display their wares.

Dublin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just spent a 2 Night Midweek Break with 2 friends during Mid Term Week.The Hotel was buzzing with people of all ages. We really enjoyed it, but didnt have enough time.

Room Tip: Ask for one looking out on the Quays.
Dear Coleen16,

Many thanks for your recent review of us here at Whites of Wexford. Perhaps the next time you will have more time to enjoy the facilities.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
0.7 km away
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
18.8 km away
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Clayton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!